one bad a$$ bird

Was that a falcon, or a type of eagle? He nailed either a big rabbit or some kind of deer (fawn?)... it ran like a whitetail. Was that clip shot in Indonesia? The guy talking sounded like he was from there.
Iv'e seen adult redtails nail big Western jackrabbits exactly the same way. After the grab, they jerk the prey into the air a bit and faceplant it into the ground. It hopefully breaks the neck or stuns Bugs enough so that it doesn't get the living daylights kicked out of itself by the rabbit's rear feet. The talons do the rest.

it looks like a deer.
and the guy at the beginning of the video is holding the bird on his arm! like a falconeer.

If that’s real, it may be an answer to some of the white tail problem east of the Mississippi...

It may also help on errant dogs and cats... :D

It's a Golden Eagle, and I don't think it's a whitetail. I don't recognize the language. Hunting with eagles is popular in Spain, though.

Dare I say, I'v commented to Dept. of F & G that eagles are a serious predator on our Mountain Goats. They of course scoffed at the notion. Not taught that in school is guess.

I'd guess that it is in the Czech Republic (based on the .cz in the website name).

The deer might be a sika deer. http://www.infohub.com/outfitters/2168.html

In Central Asia, Golden Eagles sometimes are trained for falconry: in Kazakhstan there are still hunters using these eagles in order to catch deer and antelopes; in Kyrgyzstan hunters will use them to hunt foxes [1]; and in Mongolia they are traditionally trained to hunt wolves. Some of the animals that Golden Eagles have been trained to kill can weigh 45 kg (100 lb)[].

Never saw the start of the clip (computer glitch?) where a guy is holding the bird, but it makes sense because it sounded like he was shouting commands to it -in whatever language he was using. Sitka deer might be a good call.
I also thought it was a Golden Eagle. We have them out here sometimes. They'er pretty big and when they're standing around they look as tall and as big as a 5 year-old child. Ranchers tell me they carry off lambs and fawns every now and then.

It dose resmeble the Sika deer we hunt on Assiteaque Island. Most of the doe's will reach 40 pounds and a big stag will be 90-110 pounds. But the fawns they are the size of a jack rabbit. It wouldn't take much for a bird to carry one off.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back