One 1 Ton Diesel Truck

Just curious about your recommendation on oil changes. What was ford's? Dodge service schedule Is 15000 mile oil changes
Call Tony at Las Vegas Diesel. He worked on my truck and explained the whole oil change issue.
He came highly recommended when I was stuck out there.
Ask him about K&N filters if you call him.
Tell Anna I said Hi.

A diesel needs to have the oil changed every 3-4k.
Absolute BS.
As for the turbo, I suspect it was caused by the K&N air filter allowing too much particulate matter pass through or possibly sucking excess oil off the air filter. There is a reason they flow more air than stock air filter.
The stock air filters have more than adequate air flow for these trucks.

Last edited:
Do turbos go out often? How much they soak you to replace one? I’m not a KnN guy myself. I always run OEM filters with the thought that the same engineer that designed the motor designed the filter and he might know something.

Sample size of one, my 05 Duramax with 275+k miles is on its original turbo, brakes, tranny yada, yada, yada. I did get stung with a repair with the transfer case caused by the vibration of an internal part wearing a hole in the housing. That was maybe at the 255k mark. Everything on the truck is stock. I'm not a gearhead by any stretch.

I change the oil at roughly 10k miles. Maybe a third of its miles have been towing horses.

It's now serving as a beater knock around truck, still hauling horses and sparing miles on the 17 Duramax that hopefully takes me to the finish line.

Do turbos go out often? How much they soak you to replace one? I’m not a KnN guy myself. I always run OEM filters with the thought that the same engineer that designed the motor designed the filter and he might know something.
If you have ever tried to fix something on a "newer" truck you will know engineers believe parts will last FOREVEERRRRRR

Absolute BS.
As for the turbo, I suspect it was caused by the K&N air filter allowing too much particulate matter pass through or possibly sucking excess oil off the air filter. There is a reason they flow more air than stock air filter.
The stock air filters have more than adequate air flow for these trucks.
Might be, but 2 shops have told me the same thing and one is the largest in the Midwest.
K&N filters are more restrictive than stock filters. They filter to a lot finer micron.

Getting a new Garrett installed for $2,600.

Might be, but 2 shops have told me the same thing and one is the largest in the Midwest.
K&N filters are more restrictive than stock filters. They filter to a lot finer micro
Sorry but you have been misinformed.

Are K&N filters better than stock filters?

That is the million dollar question, isn’t it? It all comes down to the type of car you have. K&N filters do offer an increase in airflow and that means that the engine has the potential to increase its performance but only if it has the capability to do so. Most cars are designed to work with a certain set of parts and as such might not be able to take advantage of a K&N filter. All an increased airflow will do for such cars is make it more prone to collecting debris and dirt. People have actually reported a decrease in performance and an increase in fuel consumption once the stock filters are replaced with these aftermarket K&N filters. This is something that has also been confirmed by numerous tests and research papers. The effect of these filters on regular cars are not worth the added risk it poses to the engine. K&N filters only seem to produce any noticeable difference in the more performance-oriented cars and work best in the clean environment of a race track. They can seriously hamper the car if you tend to drive in heavy traffic where the air is laden with suspended particles. A K&N filter will also last much longer than a stock filter but that doesn’t mean much if your engine is taking a beating every time you drive out with your car. It is much cheaper and easier to replace an air filter rather than the entire engine block. Unless you own a sports car that you often take to a race track, a K&N filter is nothing more than a novelty item that will give you some bragging rights but that’s about it.

How are K&N filters different?

We all want more from our cars and if there was a way of magically improving performance by simply swapping out a part then we would all be running to do so. It is this mentality that has led to the rapid acceptance of K&N filters. As we alluded to earlier, the rate of air flow can affect the performance of the engine and K&N filters forego the paper setup to create a more porous entry point for air using an oil-based foam material that is more porous. This has the obvious disadvantage of allowing some of the dirt and impurities in, which can cause long-term damage to the engine. So, it all comes down to whether the performance gain is the worth the risk of possibly damaging the engine forever? This falls into a sort of grey area as you will have people who swear by the benefits of a K&N filters while others will strongly argue that there are no improvements and if anything, it just makes things worse. With that is mind let us find out which is better?

A diesel needs to have the oil changed every 3-4k.
If this were actually true there would be 98 bazillion diesel trucks out there with failed turbos because the owners follow the recommended oil change intervals of 7500-10,000-Ford, 10,000- Duramax or 15,000 Cummins.
They DO NOT need to change the oil every 3-4kmiles.
Then again there is no such thing of having your oil be TOO CLEAN. (y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back