Once In a Lifetime

Now that I had permission to hunt on John's land my focus was on finding Big Hank. I didn't turn him up the rest of that morning but was hoping that as the temperatures cooled toward the evening he'd be back out and I'd be able to make a move on him. Unfortunately I didn't see him that evening either. I did see some other bulls, one of them a good bull that @Flatrock and I would eventually refer to as the "Day 1 bull" since we were pretty sure he's the one I didn't pursue on my first day of hunting.
View attachment 158754
View attachment 158755

I had one remaining day on my hunting trip to turn up Big Hank but it was not to be. I didn't see him on my last day so I went home hoping I'd see him in a week when I would be able to return.
Great pictures

Hank- I agree with a lot of what you said. My proposal of cubing or preference is not my preferred system. I stand in the corner of if it‘s not broke, don’t fix it. My point was simply that there are ways in which the legislature could markedly increase odds, and OIL is not one of them. Montana has always been a state of opportunity for hunters, and telling someone who was successful/lucky once in their life that the opportunity no longer exists is not the solution I want to see. They already move to the back of the line by waiting 7 years. Realistically, I think having a loyalty system that gives an extra point for every XX number of years applied, as well as raising the cost of admission even a little, would help with the draw odds for those most dedicated, all while maintaining opportunity for all. The random draw like Idaho and New Mexico is great for those states, but a healthy balance of different systems across the west is needed. Montana should be an example to some states of what could be possible in their own neck of the woods with unlimited systems. The Frank would be a prime candidate, and with the implementation of short, archery only seasons early, I think you could see success in other rugged units across the west.

For Montana, using the Spanish Peaks as an example, I think you could still have a viable unlimited hunt prior to the limited draw hunt. By pulling 1 tag out of the limited entry pool for the unit, A 1 ram unlimited quota could be implemented on say a 5 day, archery only hunt from September 1-5, with the stipulation that you have to be XX number of miles from the road. This would draw a fair number of people out of the point pool, provide more opportunity for those that want to go hunt big horn sheep, get that many more hunters invested in the conservation efforts of the species, and provide the state with that much more funding from each $125 resident license, and $1250 from each non-resident license versus just the application fee that those hunters would have paid in the LE hunt.

Now is the Spanish peaks a prime candidate? No, probably not, but I think there is real merit in these hunts, that, at their very core, focus on Opportunity for all. And having enjoyed the unlimited’s myself, I’d rather wallow through the mountains for a chance to hunt sheep, than sit around on my hands until I’m old and whining about never having had the chance to go hunt sheep in my own state.

Last edited:
I don’t understand why the Bob Marshall isn’t an unlimited sheep area.
I’d say write your legislature, but having seen some of the comments about hunting coming from their sessions, they might be surprised to learn that there are even sheep in the Bob.
In all seriousness, the more advocates for these hunts, the better. At a minimum, it may just keep our current 5 units from going by the roadside after Shawn retires.

Amen! What I haven't seen quantified is how many hunters have drawn a second Big 3 tag. Is the bill going to solve for less than 1% of those hunting situations? Furthermore, the squaring of points almost already fully satisfies the desire of the bill by allowing more hunting opportunities for those who've never hunted a Big 3 species since they have more points. Having been incredibly blessed this last season, I can say that I wish more people could partake.....the reality is that I think they will with the current system. The best solution for more opportunity is through conservation not fixing an unbroken system. Increasing application fees would help on the conservation front as long as the fees don't put applying out of reach for the average Joe. That would be a bill worthy of our time......unless of course the number of 2nd chances is substantively high like say 5% or more of applicants. The actually numbers would tell the tale, more than "I know a guy who's killed 3 rams in Montana over span of 40 years"
I personally know a guy who drew 2 sheep tags, one moose tag and one mountain goat tag in a little over a 10 year period. He was one lucky SOB.

I personally know a guy who drew 2 sheep tags, one moose tag and one mountain goat tag in a little over a 10 year period. He was one lucky SOB.
so really it's just the 2 sheep tags that are at issue. Were they both for rams? Was it in the last 10 years?

Well that would have been before the bonus point system and then the squaring of those points. I don't think anyone would have that kind of luck now-a-days. I was blessed to harvest a ram and a goat in 2020. I had 18 points for both. I don't envision being able to hunt either again in my life time because I think the system will rightfully work against me.

Last edited:
Well that would have been before the bonus point system and then the cubing of those points. I don't think anyone would have that kind of luck now-a-days. I was blessed to harvest a ram and a goat in 2020. I had 18 points for both. I don't envision being able to hunt either again in my life time because I think the system will rightfully work against me.
That’s a heck of a year, and well earned on both accords after having waited for the better part of 2 decades! Question, in 2028 when you come off of your wait (assuming OIL is not yet implemented or not retroactive if it is), do you anticipate that you’ll begin applying for Sheep and Goat again, knowing that your odds, at best, are slim with our current system, but also knowing that there’s always a chance?

That’s a heck of a year, and well earned on both accords after having waited for the better part of 2 decades! Question, in 2028 when you come off of your wait (assuming OIL is not yet implemented or not retroactive if it is), do you anticipate that you’ll begin applying for Sheep and Goat again, knowing that your odds, at best, are slim with our current system, but also knowing that there’s always a chance?
Good question. I think it'll depend on my health at that point. I'll turn 55 in 2028. At that point, I can't see putting in for goats knowing now exactly how much is required to hunt them. Sheep on the other hand, maybe. Eventually it becomes a hard no when you add 18 years (likely) to 55.

Don’t know how o missed this one prior to now... @Schism great bull and an amazing write up. Your appreciation for others property ranks right up there as well, that type of thinking is what keeps lands open to hunters! Congrats!

Our family and friends have been enjoying the meat provided by this moose. All the cuts we've tried have been fantastic!

I was able to pick up the moose skull from the taxidermist. I'm happy with how it turned out and it will help me remember this hunt forever.

IMG_8824.jpg

Good question. I think it'll depend on my health at that point. I'll turn 55 in 2028. At that point, I can't see putting in for goats knowing now exactly how much is required to hunt them. Sheep on the other hand, maybe. Eventually it becomes a hard no when you add 18 years (likely) to 55.
I was in my 30s and 40s when I shot my Montana goat, sheep and moose. I had a partner on one of the moose, all the others were DIY solo hunts. However I did have horses to pack my camps in and my game out.

They were all prior to the 7 year wait, and I've been unsuccessfully applying every year since. I'm 75 now and I will be applying for a sheep, moose, and goat tag again this year, along with antelope and buffalo tags, and will be buying deer and elk tags.

I've also booked an Alaskan brown bear and moose hunt in September.

Awesome write-up. These tags are so hard to come by, you sure made the most of yours!

Congrats and thanks for sharing such a fantastic story and photos. I did draw and kill my big 3 (moose, sheep and mt. goat) in Colo with a bow and for sure was outrageously lucky to pull the bull moose tag part of it. And then pull two cow moose tags since. I am at 3 sheep tags, 3 moose tags and 2 mt. goat tags in Colo.

These tags are so hard to come by, you sure made the most of yours!

Schism, did you have the hide tanned, that is my favorite 'trophy' part on a moose other than the incredible meat. Beautiful hair on the hide.

Great bull!! Congrats.

Sent for 23 years as a resident of ND without any luck, however my Dad, Brother, and Grandfather all got the chance.

Little known fact......ND offers way more moose tags than my current home state of Montana.

They also destroy corn fields, most farmers we knew were always wishing we would draw a tag.

Congrats again on the OIL, and for putting in the time and effort it deserves.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back