Once In a Lifetime

Schism

North Dakota offers once in a lifetime hunts for bighorn sheep, elk, and moose. These hunts are only available for residents and thousands of people apply each year and a very few are drawn. Having applied unsuccessfully for decades, I found myself in disbelief when I beat the odds and drew an "any moose" tag which carries odds of 0.6%-1%, depending on unit. I was first notified in April by email and I was shocked to say the least.

I soon found out that drawing a once in a lifetime tag in North Dakota brings out the best in people. Lots of offers to help came in as others found out I drew a moose tag. Throughout the summer people contacted me with information and advice on my upcoming hunt. One piece of advice came from a gentleman I know and respect who held the tag a few years prior. He told me, "You are going to have an amazing time with this tag! There's not another hunt like this in the state. Enjoy it!"

A two day scouting trip in August was made primarily to get an idea of what the unit looked like, the roads, camping locations, and also to see some moose. Temperatures near 100F and drought conditions were present and I wasn't expecting to see many moose but I still felt the trip was going to be productive. The first day didn't produce any moose sightings but I did see some sign. There were moose in the area!

IMG_7665.jpg

Early in the morning on my second day of scouting I turned up my first moose. A bull! While not the caliber of bull I was interested in shooting, it was a sign I may be in the right area.

IMG_7669.jpg

Not long after, I saw a couple decent mule deer.

IMG_7680.jpg

Later that day I saw moose number two and three.

IMG_E7687.JPG

No more moose were seen on the scouting trip but the trip was worth it and I had a good idea where I wanted to start when season opened.

The moose season in North Dakota is split into two portions. One running from September 9-27 for archery and one running from October 9-November 1 for rifle. The license I have is good for either season. Being I primarily hunt with archery equipment I was going to do my best to fill my tag with my bow.

On September 5th I traveled to my hunting unit and set up camp. Immediately on the morning of the 6th I located a pretty good bull.
IMG_7782.jpg
While he was the largest bull I've seen thus far, the thought of my hunt ending 20 minutes into my first day was something I didn't want to happen so I kept looking for more bulls. It wasn't long and I spotted another bull.
IMG_7790.jpg

On this leg of the hunt I was joined by @Flatrock. He was in another part of the unit and was finding some bulls. A big thanks goes out to him for all the help he provided during this hunt!
IMG_7792.JPG

The moose season in North Dakota is split into two portions. One running from September 9-27 for archery and one running from October 9-November 1 for rifle. The license I have is good for either season. Being I primarily hunt with archery equipment I was going to do my best to fill my tag with my bow.

On September 5th I traveled to my hunting unit and set up camp. Immediately on the morning of the 6th I located a pretty good bull.
View attachment 158604
While he was the largest bull I've seen thus far, the thought of my hunt ending 20 minutes into my first day was something I didn't want to happen so I kept looking for more bulls. It wasn't long and I spotted another bull.
View attachment 158605

On this leg of the hunt I was joined by @Flatrock. He was in another part of the unit and was finding some bulls. A big thanks goes out to him for all the help he provided during this hunt!
View attachment 158607
Ummmmm....moose #1 with a bow would have to put you high on the Pope & Young list in ND I would think. Getting in a book isn't why most people hunt, but I'm saying it's a testament to the size and quality of that bull. We don't see 'em like that very often in Montana any more.

I knew the first moose I saw was a good moose but in complete honesty, I was really enjoying seeing these moose! Much more so than I ever would have imagined. The thought of filling my once in a lifetime tag on my first day of hunting was something I didn't want to do unless it was a giant of a bull.

A bit of backstory that is relevant is that before I left on the hunt I contacted a taxidermist in case I was successful. Visiting with him was great. He had the tag in the late 2000's and gave me two pieces of advice: 1. "Have fun! You'll never have this tag again. 2. "Don't shoot the first moose you see. Too many people shoot the first bull they see and don't enjoy the hunt for what it is." These words were in my head as I watched bull #1 feed among the cattails.

Later that morning I was joined by @Flatrock and we watched another hunter make a stalk on a good bull. The stalk ended unsuccessfully but watching the event play out in my spotting scope had me thinking that was a bull I'd like to harvest.
IMG_7800.jpg

Fortunately for me the other hunter was unsuccessful but the bull winded the other hunter and was on the move and we weren't able to get on him again that day.

We did see some other bulls but not something I was wanting to pursue.
IMG_7808.jpg
IMG_7810.jpg

Last edited:
I'm glad you guys are enjoying the thread. It's my first time writing up a hunt in this manner but I wanted to take the time to share a hunt that was special to me.

After a great first day of hunting anticipation was high for the following day. Unfortunately the moose sightings were not as plentiful as the prior day. It blew my mind that moose seemed to be everywhere one day and then ghosts the next. A few small bulls and cows were spotted but nothing remarkable. That was until about one half hour before dark. Standing on the edge of a wetland area ("slough" for any North Dakotans reading this) I spotted a bull that instantly looked larger than anything I'd seen up to this point.

IMG_7839.jpgIMG_7841.jpg

Without a doubt this was a shooter bull! He was in a perfect spot to make a stalk, the wind was from a good direction and blowing steady enough that it should cover most of the noise I would make on the approach. However, not all was perfect in my mind. I had an ethical decision to make.

North Dakota is one of a few states that permission to hunt private ground is not needed if the crop has been harvested and "no trespassing" signage is absent. The law has become a hot button issue the last few legislative sessions with increasing attempts to change the law to mirror what many other states utilize in establishing all private land is posted "no trespassing" whether a sign is present or not.

While I regularly hunt non posted land for birds and coyotes, this was a moose and the thought of being chewed out by an unhappy landowner would tarnish the hunt so I elected not to pursue him at this time. I prayed I wouldn't regret my decision.

The following morning I was out of my tent before dark and in the area I'd seen Big Hank the evening before. I didn't see him right away so I continued looking in other areas until it was late enough in the morning to try to contact the owner of the land where I last saw Big Hank.

It was during this time that I was able to watch two smaller bulls sparring while a third bull watched. I'd never seen moose spar so I watched them intently for 10-15 minutes.

IMG_7845.jpg
IMG_7851.jpg

After watching them I went back near where I last saw Big Hank but didn't see him so I headed toward the landowner's house. This was harvest season and everyone was working late into the night getting crops off so I try not to bother them until I see them out servicing their machines before starting another day. Luck would have it I caught the landowner near his bins emptying a semi of grain loaded the night before.

The landowner, I'll call him John, was very welcoming. He really appreciated that I had come to ask permission and granted that permission with a big smile. We visited about moose for 30 minutes before it was time we were both on our way. I received some good intel from John and knew in my mind I made the right decision to talk to him before pursuing Big Hank.

Now that I had permission to hunt on John's land my focus was on finding Big Hank. I didn't turn him up the rest of that morning but was hoping that as the temperatures cooled toward the evening he'd be back out and I'd be able to make a move on him. Unfortunately I didn't see him that evening either. I did see some other bulls, one of them a good bull that @Flatrock and I would eventually refer to as the "Day 1 bull" since we were pretty sure he's the one I didn't pursue on my first day of hunting.
IMG_7871.jpg
IMG_7880.jpg

I had one remaining day on my hunting trip to turn up Big Hank but it was not to be. I didn't see him on my last day so I went home hoping I'd see him in a week when I would be able to return.

Last edited:
Back