Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Once in a Lifetime Hunt

This is easy,you live in ND.Buy yourself a Mt. combo tag and get an elk and deer.I'm almost positive you'll draw this year with the changes.The season there are longest of the west.You should be able to head out there more then once for the season.
You could also try for a Wy. general tag right now is the application period,but your odds are around 25% without a point

I talked to my father about our options again last night and I think we have agreed on heading to Montana. We plan on doing a full DIY hunt. Possibly an archery/scouting trip earlier in the season to prepare for our week long rifle trip later in the season.
Any suggestions about where to go in MT? We don't need anyone to give us their hot spot, but a general unit or area would be helpful. We live right on the west edge of ND.

I talked to my father about our options again last night and I think we have agreed on heading to Montana. We plan on doing a full DIY hunt. Possibly an archery/scouting trip earlier in the season to prepare for our week long rifle trip later in the season.
Any suggestions about where to go in MT? We don't need anyone to give us their hot spot, but a general unit or area would be helpful. We live right on the west edge of ND.

Maybe see you there!
Reading all the posts we don't rate our chances at all, but we are looking forward to the whole experience, whether we succeed or not.
But just have to get over a personal problem at home (didn't see this one coming, not a great start to 2012) first before i apply for a tag.
Cheers
Richard

I did some researching online about where to elk hunt in MT. The common areas that were mentioned were the SW part of the state, near glacier nat'l park and the missouri river breaks. The missouri river breaks would be ideal, but the drawing odds are less than ideal. Anybody know anything about hunting in the SW part of MT or near glacier nat'l park? Thanks

My buddy and I spent most of our lives in ND so we are flatlanders, first elk hunt ever was SW MT / region 3 in 2010, our 2nd hunt was 2011. We stuck to a crazy workout plan which paid off big time. Not saying we are great hunters or even close (lucky would be a better word) but we went out there as rookie as can be but in top shape and learned on public land after day #1 you have to hike until you cannot stand it anymore, then hike some more, headlamps on for hours going in and out. We shot a decent bull in 2010 and cow in 2011 so if we can do it, you can do it too. But you have to be realistic, if you cannot get both of you way, way, back there where noone else is willing to go, id suggest hire a guide. If you can and are willing, you'll be pleased. just my $.02 from my 2 years at the game.

My buddy and I spent most of our lives in ND so we are flatlanders, first elk hunt ever was SW MT / region 3 in 2010, our 2nd hunt was 2011. We stuck to a crazy workout plan which paid off big time. Not saying we are great hunters or even close (lucky would be a better word) but we went out there as rookie as can be but in top shape and learned on public land after day #1 you have to hike until you cannot stand it anymore, then hike some more, headlamps on for hours going in and out. We shot a decent bull in 2010 and cow in 2011 so if we can do it, you can do it too. But you have to be realistic, if you cannot get both of you way, way, back there where noone else is willing to go, id suggest hire a guide. If you can and are willing, you'll be pleased. just my $.02 from my 2 years at the game.
That a very encouraging post, thanks for posting it, it has given us a little more confidence.
When you say walking, what sort of daily distance do you expect to cover going over various terrain?
We will train over some hard terrain (Dartmoor National Park) before we come over but one thing it doesn't have is elevation, the highest point is just over 1000', i have experienced walking at high altitude and oxygen depravation but my mate hasn't, also what weight back pack?
Sorry for the questions.
Cheers
Richard

Richard,

This map might help you get a better sense of the elevations in Montana:

http://nris.mt.gov/gis/gisdatalib/downloads/elevation.gif

Just my 2 cents:

Daily distances: 4-6 miles a day in the mountains, 6-10 in the foothills or low country.

If you are going to be in the mountains, then expect to gain/drop at least 1000 feet of elevation per day.

Pack weights...When I'm just backpacking for fun, it's around 40 lbs, but I can't seem to get my hunting pack weight below 60. Now, that's not to say I carried that every day. We packed in and set up camp, and then every day, the pack ran around 20-23 lbs. If you plan to pack in a base camp like this, and hunt out of that camp, then the super heavy pack the first day isn't so bad.

As far as altitude/O2 goes, I wouldn't worry about it too much, unless you plan to spend alot of time above 10,000 feet. You may feel it, or you may not. From what I understand, it varies from one person to another. My hunting buddy came out from North Dakota this past fall, and he was worried about it too. The first day, he had a harder time with the pack in than I did, but it had more to do with the lack of hills for him to train on at home than it did with altitude. He said he had to work a little harder to catch his breath the first day, but that was it.

Hope it helps...

It does in deed help JohnDG, many thanks.
That gives us an idea of what to pack weight wise on our training trips and distances to cover as a minimum.
If we get anything i will get my buddy to pack it out as he is 7 years younger than me at the age of 45 he will do just fine!
Cheers
Richard

We tried to get at least 2-3 miles from any ATV trail or road, then still hunt our way around the thick dark timber on North facing slopes, read Jack Ballard's book on public land hunting several times, highly suggested. We used daypacks with minimal supplies, was able to get one haul of meat out then back with heavy packs the next day for the 2010 bull. Using a treadmill with incline helped alot to strengthen the ankles, for me the constant side hilling was the most challening, good angle support. Also buy some kennetreks, IMO they are the best out there for ankle support, btw I have some for sale on the classifieds section on this site, new, 11.5, Kenne Terranes :) they were a gift, already have 2 pr

Thanks, Jack Ballards book is the one i bought when i decided i was coming over one day.
I will be buying a pair of Meindl Dovre boots for my own hunting in the UK and should serve me well in MT.
Cheers
Richard

I think we finalized our plans finally. Here is what we are going to apply for:
1. Combo elk/deer tag
2. Permit for District 620-15 archery elk

We still plan on doing our rifle hunt somewhere in Western MT, but we thought it would be fun to try and get the permit for the river breaks archery season. It will be a lot more realistic for us to make it to the river breaks vs SW MT for some early season hunting.

I'd really appreciate any advice for unit 620. From the pictures I have seen, I am assuming it is similar to the ND badlands topography.

Thanks again for the help.

Last edited:
GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
troutflys
Back