Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Once in a Lifetime Hunt

fargoflyfish

My dad and I are planning on doing our first and only elk hunt this next year. We both live in ND and have been talking about hunting either in Montana, Wyoming or Colorado. We don't need to get a trophy 350+ bull, but I would like to have a reasonable chance for him to get a respectable bull since this will likely be the only chance we will ever have to go elk hunting together. We are both willing to put the time in to get in good shape, but the reality is that we are from ND and will have a tough time hunting the rugged mountains no matter how good of shape we get in.

I am looking for some advice of what state everyone recommends, what units, etc... Our backup plan is to get an over the counter tag for colorado. We are used to hiking/hunting in the ND badlands. The best option for us would be the Missouri River breaks, but the odds are greatly against us drawing a tag in that unit.

Here is what we are looking for in the hunt:
1. Decent chance of getting a bull elk
2. Moderate difficulty terrain (my father is 58 years old)
3. A unit that we will likely get drawn in
4. A season that would allow at least a 5-7 day hunt

Thank you so much for the advice. This trip is really important to me, but it is even more important that my father has a successful hunt. He has been dreaming of an elk hunt for as long as I can remember.
Thanks again.

Last edited:
Do you have preference points in any states? Right now you're asking people for information on a OTC tag and unfortunately most good hunting spots that involve OTC tags are found by scouting. I'd say wherever you choose make a scouting trip before your hunt, it'll pay dividends!!

I don't like Outfitters but if this is the only elk hunt that you and your dad are planning on doing you may want to consider booking an Outfitter. I know its not impossible to kill a bull on your first hunt and on on your own. But since you are talking that this will be the only time you and your dad will hunt elk, you really want to make sure you guys kill a couple bulls.

If you don't want to book an outfitter than you should take StrutNut's advice and buy a landowner tag in NM.

We don't have any preference points in any states except North Dakota. My dad mentioned New Mexico, but we might need more than 7 days if we head out there. It looks like there are a lot of huge bulls down there. New Mexico and Montana are at the top of my list.

I can look this up, but does anyone know the application deadlines off the top of their head?

If this is really your one and only elk hunt and you want one, maybe a big one...then an outfitter is the way to go. Perhaps a better question would be: What's your budget?

I'd guess the best tag you could draw with no points would be in the Wyoming special draw.

There is another hunt talker I know that is going to Colorado with his dad for an elk hunt. Seems like you can hunt the rut with a rifle when you have a ranching for wildlife tag. They felt like spending the money for the tag/outfitter/private land access would greatly improve their odds as wel as be more fun since they could focus on the hunt instead of the work aspect of the hunt like cooking,camping,game removal. Some say that is taking the easy road but id recommend whatever you will enjoy the most since it's a once in a life time hunt that you get to share with your dad. Can't wait to see the pics!

I thought the same thing a couple years ago. Had never gone elk hunting, 56 years old, not good shape cardiowise. Then my little brother died unexpectedly from the big C. Booked an outfitted hunt in the Bob Marshall for last Sept for my once in a lifetime hunt. Didn't get a bull, or even a shot at one, but I had the time of my life. Was ready to quit the first day going up that mountain with my guide, but I made it..........and once I was up there I knew........this wasn't a once in a lifetime deal........getting older.....but I'm going back.....somehow, whether it be OYO or with an outfitter.......Life is way to short.....and once you hunt elk....in my humble opinion....something about those mountains just grabs ahold......trying to go OYO in 2012 with friends and booked 2013 with an outfitter....Good luck to you......you will probably do it more than once

How do landowner tags work in NM? I'm assuming that you need to go through an outfitter and get a guide. Is that correct?

You do not have to go through an outfitter to buy a landowner tag. There is a list on the NM game and fish website of all the ranches that have tags. You can contact the ranch directly and see how much they charge. There are Unit wide ranches and Ranch only ranches. The unit wide ranches you can not only hunt the ranch but also the public land in that unit. Ranch only ranches you have to hunt the deeded portions of the ranch. Your Gila units the landowner tags are going to be expensive but typically Norther NM you can find some pretty good deals.

Any specific units I should be looking at? I just looked at the list of ranch owners and it is a bit overwhelming. The NM tag prices are definitely within our price range, but what is a price we should expect through one of the ranch owners? I realize that they will vary greatly, but is there a general range that we could expect? Thanks

Any specific units I should be looking at? I just looked at the list of ranch owners and it is a bit overwhelming. The NM tag prices are definitely within our price range, but what is a price we should expect through one of the ranch owners? I realize that they will vary greatly, but is there a general range that we could expect? Thanks

I have seen landowner tags go anywhere from $500 all the way up to $10,000. Your Gila Units are going to be expensive but you never know until you call. If an outfitter has the lease then he will definitely charge alot but if you can find a ranch where the landowner is selling then you might be able to find a good deal. You have alot of time from now until the fall so I would just pick some units and call.

The other thing you can do is put in for the lottery for the Valles Caldera. The lottery tickets are $30 dollars and I think they limit you to 20 tickets. The hunting has gone down because they aren't controlling the predators but its still a great hunt. And this may be the last year they allow hunting as they are trying to turn it into a National Park.

And you are talking rifle hunting right?

Last year was odd, due to some changes in the licensing here in MT, and Im not sure how this year will go, but last year you could have got a tag for sure. Normally, only about 1/2 of the people that put in get a tag. So, its hard to say what your odds would be this year. I really dont know jack about WY or CO. Lots of people do the CO hunt every year and many kill elk, but Id wager, and this is probably true of any state, that most bulls killed are raghorns. First thing I'd do, unless you want to spend a bunch of money, is figure out that any bull for you guys will be a great trophy!! 350+ is not only a big trophy, but virtually unheard of for the general, OTC hunter (if you look at the numbers). A 250+ bull is a great looking bull! At least for me.

Any of the "elky" areas in Montana can give you guys a great hunt. I am not the best hunter, but even being a resident here and hunting 15-25 days a year, I am very happy to kill any bull when the season is over. All public land, general tag hunting.

I'd have to agree with Horn Seeker about Montana hunts. If you were to look at MT, you will be virtually guaranteed to draw a tag. There were hundreds of nonresident licenses left over this fall, and I'd expect next year to be no different. That being said, for you to set the bar at a 350+ bull for hunting in what I assume will be a general unit means that you will have to be both extremely aggressive and very very lucky. Generally speaking, the guys killing big bulls in general units have three things in common: they are in very good shape, they have ample time to scout, and they are, simply put, very good at hunting elk.

I write this not to try and keep one more nonresident out of my state, but just to state what I believe to be an honest assesment of the situation. I think for a "one-off" hunt for you and your father, you would be far better off considering an outfitter. Not just because you will have increased odds of success, but because you will likely enjoy your trip a great deal more if you are in the hands of a capable outfitter. They will take care of the logistical issues for you, freeing you up to enjoy some quality time with your dad.

I realize that this is a forum focused primarily on self-guided hunting. I myself really enjoy the "holistic" experience of the DIY hunt, from the preseason scouting, conditioning, and logistical planning, right up to the day I finally hit the trailhead. But maybe it's not right for everyone.

A quick story: This year a friend come out from North Dakota to hunt. We planned to hunt a general unit. I scouted preseason, found elk in an area where I have never seen so much sign, and kept myself in good shape. We packed in prior to opening day to set up camp and scout. Opening morning dawned...and nothing. For the remaining 7 days. Unless you count the wolves we heard howling at night. He wasn't even concerned about killing a bull, just wanted to put meat in the freezer. There were elk around, we saw a few, and other hunters took a few, but it just wasn't in the cards for us.

My point is, you can follow the "playbook" for these type of hunts and come up empty oh so easily. I'm not a great hunter, but I'd bet you'll find many stories similar to mine if you look around. Speaking from painful experience, elk hunting has a pretty steep learning curve, both in the field and on the logistical side. There are many people here who will give you great advice if DIY is what you choose to do. However, if this is your one and only shot at elk hunting, you may just want to spend the extra dough and increase your chances of success and enjoyment of the experience by going with an outfitter.

I would have to agree wtih JDG and a couple of the others in that your best hunt for a respectable bull in a one shot deal like you're talking about would be either with a proven outfitter that has landowner tags or on a RFW ranch down in Colorado that runs their own hunts under F&G guidelines they have agreed to. You'll pay a lot more for either than a DIY, but your chance on a first time elk hunt will be multiplied ten fold and you'll be glad you did it that way in this particular case. The biggest percentage of DIY elk hunters go home empty in whatever state they hunt in!

Sorry for the confusion, but I said that we do not need to get a 350+ bull. We would both be more than happy getting a bull that scored 250. However, we really aren't doing it to fill our freezer with meat so we probably wouldn't shoot a spike or really small bull. We get plenty of meat every year from delicious ND whitetails, pheasants and fish.

I'm a little torn about if we should do a DIY hunt or get a guide. Based on the price of a guided hunt, it will likely be our only elk hunt. If we chose to do a DIY hunt, we could probably do 2-3 hunts over the next few years for about the same price. Neither of us are doing it just to kill an animal, but it sure would mean a lot to my dad if he got some antlers to mount. I'm sure an unsuccessful DIY hunt would be a lot of fun for both of us if we knew we could do it again.

I have been strongly urging my dad to think about montana. He really wants to do CO or NM, but there are a lot of advantages for us hunting in MT. The tag is good for archery and rifle season, it is much closer to us and we are familiar with certain parts of MT. My dad really wants to go to CO to hunt because he has some friends that go there every year. However, I don't think they have ever been successful.

What a tough decision, but there probably isn't a wrong decision that we could make.

I'm a little torn about if we should do a DIY hunt or get a guide. Based on the price of a guided hunt, it will likely be our only elk hunt. If we chose to do a DIY hunt, we could probably do 2-3 hunts over the next few years for about the same price. Neither of us are doing it just to kill an animal, but it sure would mean a lot to my dad if he got some antlers to mount. I'm sure an unsuccessful DIY hunt would be a lot of fun for both of us if we knew we could do it again.

QUOTE]

Now you have changed the game a little, started out as once-in-a-lifetime, now 2-3 hunts. I hope you go every year until you and your father are physically unable. DIY is tuff, but if you keep at it success will come.

Sorry for the confusion, but I said that we do not need to get a 350+ bull. We would both be more than happy getting a bull that scored 250. However, we really aren't doing it to fill our freezer with meat so we probably wouldn't shoot a spike or really small bull. We get plenty of meat every year from delicious ND whitetails, pheasants and fish.

I have been strongly urging my dad to think about montana. He really wants to do CO or NM, but there are a lot of advantages for us hunting in MT. The tag is good for archery and rifle season, it is much closer to us and we are familiar with certain parts of MT. My dad really wants to go to CO to hunt because he has some friends that go there every year. However, I don't think they have ever been successful.

What a tough decision, but there probably isn't a wrong decision that we could make.
Here is my 2 cents worth, from my experience.
I didn't grow up Elk hunting. I bought my first Elk Tag in 1993 in Northern Idaho. It was 1995 before I saw an elk in elk season with a tag in my hand. I took a break from Elk hunting from then until 2006, when I killed my first bull elk. Since then I've killed six bull elk in 3 states, Many of these were DIY hunts on public land.

Going DIY fresh out of the gate, might mean that it takes you 3 years to kill a bull. It takes time to get to know an area and where to FIND the elk before you can HUNT THEM.

It is hard to go from a deer hunting mentality to an elk hunting mentality. Mainly the difference is the sheer amount of country you have to cover to find the elk. Even a good area will require miles of ground covered in the double digits.

Deer hunting you hunt draw by draw. Elk hunting you hunt watershed by watershed.

There is no reason you can't DIY. Thousands of people do every year. Hundreds of those thousand are successful in killing a bull. If you go into it with the mindset of getting to know a new area, and seeing elk in the first year, killing any legal bull the second year, and killing a "good" bull for the area the third year, I doubt you will be disappointed.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back