Old vs new

This is all good info for me. I look at spotters every couple months and can't decide. And then I decide to just keep hunting in North Idaho woods where I don't even carry my (on the cheap side) binos.

This is all good info for me. I look at spotters every couple months and can't decide. And then I decide to just keep hunting in North Idaho woods where I don't even carry my (on the cheap side) binos.
You are a perfect example of someone who can do without the best of the best. I wouldn't own the alpha glass unless I spent enough time behind it to justify it. That's just me though, everyone has different financial freedoms

If you aren't carrying binos while hunting thick timber, you are missing out. I still hunt timber quite a bit in northern MN, and binos really help you see deeper into the thick stuff.

You are a perfect example of someone who can do without the best of the best. I wouldn't own the alpha glass unless I spent enough time behind it to justify it. That's just me though, everyone has different financial freedoms

I do have some hunts planned to some other areas/states where good glass would be nice so definitely still shopping around. Probably buy something by next year since I should have a pronghorn tag in 2021. If I draw a moose tag this year, might end up buying it sooner than later.

If you aren't carrying binos while hunting thick timber, you are missing out. I still hunt timber quite a bit in northern MN, and binos really help you see deeper into the thick stuff.

For sure, halfway joking on that comment. Usually if I don't have them on me its because I forgot them and I am kicking myself when I am an hour from the truck. I grew up hunting in northern MN and always wished I had some better binos at the time. Mainly still hunted since I hated sitting in a deer stand. I wish somebody had told me about wind and scent at the time.

People put Zeiss/Swarovski/Leica there off the top, Kowa and the Meostar spotters are probably there too IMO. Nikon has some high end glass (EDG, et al.) too, just doesn't always get lumped in there. Really depends what birdwatcher you agree with I guess, ha.

Anyone have any intel on the slightly older Nikon ED III vs the Nikon Monarch ED? I found one birder blog post they made reference to them being the same optics.

People put Zeiss/Swarovski/Leica there off the top, Kowa and the Meostar spotters are probably there too IMO. Nikon has some high end glass (EDG, et al.) too, just doesn't always get lumped in there. Really depends what birdwatcher you agree with I guess, ha.
The older Nikon ED scopes are really damned good. That said, the Minox scopes are a really good value as well IMO.

Anyone have any intel on the slightly older Nikon ED III vs the Nikon Monarch ED? I found one birder blog post they made reference to them being the same optics.
N/m I think I answered my own question. Just needed to refine my Google-fu

"Employing a new optical design, these MONARCH Fieldscopes deliver high optical performance with a crystal-clear field of view. As successor models to the ED82/EDIII Fieldscopes, they will provide an exciting new experience of observation."

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back