Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Old School Convert 2017

UP IN SMOKE

A special animal taken Saturday on opening day in the Little Belt Mtns of central Montana with a M1874 Shiloh Sharps 4570 using 70 grns of FF behind a traditional 405 grn paper patched bullet.

Attachments

• DSCN1130.jpg
    DSCN1130.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 437
looks a little different from when I was there a month ago, in a foot of snow lol!!

Congrats that's freaking awesome!!!

I got in on a group of them, but could not determine how many there were due to all the timber. I suspect there were perhaps half a dozen or more. They were about 100 yards below me in a shallow draw. Didn't know weather or not I would get a shot due to all the timber. To my surprise they started moving up the draw towards me, and the next thing I know the bull and a cow were approximately 35 yards out from me. The bull stopped behind a tree. The tree covered his left shoulder, so I just held on the crease behind his shoulder. At the shot he bolted about 20 yards and stopped. I could see he started looking shaky and then he just fell over. I was expecting him to go a lot further, but that worked out just fine.

my first mule deer was with a Remington Rolling Block in 45-70 with an identical load to yours. Nice to see I'm not the only one going traditional.

That 405 sure puts the whopp on an animal!

my first mule deer was with a Remington Rolling Block in 45-70 with an identical load to yours. Nice to see I'm not the only one going traditional.

That 405 sure puts the whopp on an animal!

If I were to have another BPC rifle, a Rolling Block would be my choice.

Nice, I find your photo and the story of your hunt refreshing.

Very rewarding to put meat on the table with 19th century technology! I use a modified version of Robert Duvall's famous line from Apocalypse Now..."I love the smell of black powder burning in the morning!"

That's quite an accomplishment. Most of us, myself included, don't want to handicap ourselves like that.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back