Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Old School Convert

Welcome and that's way cool!
I always thought they would make a good primitive weapon elk gun.

Man, I like those guns! Wyoming Armory in Cody, Wyoming works on them and builds them, if you ever need any work done. They are a first-class crew. Welcome.

Super! I love to be taking an rifle like that on my hunt in February as it'd be way more fitting than what I'll probably use.

Now that's cool. More details please. Welcome to the forum.

Been preoccupied since first providing the post and not getting to the details right away.
I purchased the rifle from Shilo Sharps in Big Timber, MT six years ago. I've been hunting strictly with black powder for about 15 years now, starting with a T/C 54 cal. Hawken. I've taken quite a few whitetails and a couple 2 or 3 mule deer with the muzzle-stuffer. The Sharps however has become my first love. So far I have taken one mule deer and 2 whitetails with it. This deer was taken in the Big Snowy Mtns in central MT near Lewistown. To make a somewhat long story shorter, this turned into a two shot ordeal. I first crossed paths with him on the Sat. before Thanksgiving. At about 60 yds, he would only offer a straight on frontal shot (the first and last time I will take such a shot again). I put him down in his tracks, but he managed to get back up. I was only able to find small traces of blood before the blood trail disappeared and his tracks became intermingled with those of other deer in the loose powdery snow which eventually threw me off his trail. The next day I went back out and tried to find any evidence I may have missed but to no avail. As anyone who has hit an animal and not been able to recover them can testify, it leaves one with a bitter taste. Anyhow, as I was returning to my vehicle I noticed a doe watching me from probably 70 yds. I soon noticed another deer with her that eventually proved to be a decent looking buck. The buck soon stepped out into a small opening providing the preferred broadside I was looking for. The 410 grn bullet passed clean through and he covered less than 100 yds. I gave a short examination to see if there was any evidence of a previous hit but didn't notice anything that stood out. You can imagine my great relief when I skinned him out and discovered my bullet from the previous day was laying just under his skin on top of his back just in front of his hindquarters. The bullet had clipped his front left shoulder and angled up along his back. I am at a loss for words as to how he managed to get back on his feet from the previous days shot.

Congratulations on a fine Buck. You found bullet #1 is amazing. I'm curious as to the profile of the bullet and what you cast it from 30-1 or 20-1 ? Was there any expansion? It's always interesting to see the difference in terminal performance from the many different options available to the caster.
Dan

Congratulations on a fine Buck. You found bullet #1 is amazing. I'm curious as to the profile of the bullet and what you cast it from 30-1 or 20-1 ? Was there any expansion? It's always interesting to see the difference in terminal performance from the many different options available to the caster.
Dan
The upper bullet is what I recovered from the first day's shot. Below that is one of my patched 410 grn bullets and a loaded round for size reference.

Back