Old Remington 700

Matt Foley

I am just getting my daughters into hunting. My father gave me his old Remington model 700, 270. I would like to put a lighter and possibly shorter stock on it, as well as a new scope. I am also looking at recoil reducing pads. Do you guys have any reccomendations, on the above items, without having to breaking the bank? Also, how well do the new recoil reducing pads work?

When starting young ones out it is the muzzle blast that scares them the moste. The new recoil pads do work. My dad has a Rem 270 ADL that is lite and roots him. He uses the Remington reduced recoil loads on white tails in Pa with no issues. You maybe able to find a youth stock on ebay. Reloading with the Barnes 110 gr bullets would be another option.

Take it to a gun smith and have a muzzle break done on it
My worry on the muzzle break is noise. One that the noise will cause a flinch reaction and that of protecting their hearing. Do you have experience with youth and muzzle breaks?

I have also been looking online and came across Boyd's Custom Stocks. I have also been looking at the Blackhawk Compstock. Does anyone have any experience with these stocks?

When starting young ones out it is the muzzle blast that scares them the moste. The new recoil pads do work. My dad has a Rem 270 ADL that is lite and roots him. He uses the Remington reduced recoil loads on white tails in Pa with no issues. You maybe able to find a youth stock on ebay. Reloading with the Barnes 110 gr bullets would be another option.

I have been looking for the reduced recoil load but everyone is out of stock for the 270. The other issue is that I plan on taking my oldest on a cow elk hunt. I just bought a scope for my 22. I plan on starting them on the 22 and then (if I can find them) the reduced recoil rounds and then the hunting rounds. What is the best youth round for an elk?

There are lots of threads on this form and others about youths and elk hunting. It may be just as easy to buy a youth rifle like the savage axis youth combo for $350 or just the gun for $315 or so. 7mm08 seems to be about the perfect round and many will agree. It will fit them better and balance better with the shorter barrel. I think Ruger makes one in the American line as well. By the time you buy a stock, put a break on it and a scope you may spend the same money.

I'd say no to the break. IMO kids flinch as much from the noise as anything. If you don't want to get a new gun. I'd look at just getting the current stock shortened to fit her and either a Pachmyer Decelerator or Limbsaver pad put on. If you're handy, this can be done at home with a minimum of tools. If it's a wood stock, you could probably just cut the stock and use a slip on pad from one of the manufacturers I mentioned. Depending on distance you'll let you daughter shoot, I bet the reduced recoil loads would be fine for cow elk. My guess is they'd work quite well out to 200yds. T

That said, this is the perfect "excuse" to buy the gear to start loading your own! It'll be cheaper in the long run and you can tailor the loads to fit your needs. A 85-110gr Barnes bullet loaded to around 3000fps shouldn't kick much at all.

Take it from someone who remembers their first hunt... When your kids are looking through the scope at an elk, they will not feel recoil. Even on multiple shots, there is too much adrenaline to feel recoil. If you want to use the .270 you have, it will work. Use the same sorts of loads you would shoot for Elk. Reduced Recoil loads are fine for practice, I don't think they would do Elk justice.

My third year hunting I borrowed my Dad's .300WSM for an Elk hunt. Don't think I would have been comfortable shooting it off a bench, but didn't feel any recoil when I plugged a cow with it. That does not mean that I'd recommend throwing every 12year old behind a .300WSM, but IMO noise will create more issues than recoil for young shooters.

I wouldn't cut the original wood, take it off a put a synthetic on. You can get them in various lop and various colors and qualities. Bell and Carlson are good, perhaps a hogue overmold. Neither of those will break the bank. Perhaps you find a style that will work and she can help pick out a color. The sissy pads work but add bulk which makes it harder for them to shoulder. Get really good ear protection, foam plugs inside muffs. As mentioned, reduced recoil loads will help.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dotun77
Back