PEAX Equipment

Old Man and the Boy - Robert Ruark

Irrelevant

I listened to this on Audible on our way to my parent's house and back, then finished the last bit on the couch last night. There is no relationship like that of a grandson and grandfather and I have commented several times to my parents that the greatest gift they ever gave me was to live next to my grandparents (actually my parents moved away but my grandma couldn't handle it and forced my grandfather to sell the homestead and move next door to us less than a year later). It reminded me so much of my grandfather in so many ways, the fishing the hunting, the intimate knowledge of a landscape and movements of animals across it. This should absolutely be a required reading for every grandchild and grandfather, especially us sportsmen.

I was rather teary eyed when it was over, and am still in a rather melancholy mood this morning. I may need to take some advise from the Old Man and do some fishing to clear my mind.

Last edited:
One of my favorite books of all time. A brilliant piece of story-telling. The reader begins with the intention of enjoying some huntin’ & fishin’ tales. The reader ends with an appreciation for the passage of time and the relationships that shape our maturation. It’s genius.

I've read these books several times over the last 20 years or so, they are a wonderful look into what life was like back then.
The sequel "The Old Man's Boy Grows Older" takes place after the Old Man has passed on.
I recommend these books for sure.

1229201100-00.jpg

I've read these books several times over the last 20 years or so, they are a wonderful look into what life was like back then.
The sequel "The Old Man's Boy Grows Older" takes place after the Old Man has passed on.
I recommend these books for sure.

View attachment 168067
The sequel is actually worth reading? I struggle to believe it could live up to the first. But am quite interested if it does.

Sounds like a couple of great books by Ruark. Does anyone have them for sale, by chance?

Will have to buy the sequel. Really enjoyed my reading time this summer with Old Man and the Boy.

I listened to this on Audible on our way to my parent's house and back, then finished the last bit on the couch last night. There is no relationship like that of a grandson and grandfather and I have commented several times to my parents that the greatest gift they ever gave me was to live next to my grandparents (actually my parents moved away but my grandma couldn't handle it and forced my grandfather to sell the homestead and move next door to us less than a year later). It reminded me so much of my grandfather in so many ways, the fishing the hunting, the intimate knowledge of a landscape and movements of animals across it. This should absolutely be a required reading for every grandchild and grandfather, especially us sportsmen.

I was rather teary eyed when it was over, and am still in a rather melancholy mood this morning. I may need to take some advise from the Old Man and do some fishing to clear my mind.
Very good book. My wife and I were down in Southport on vacation this past June. Here’s a few pics I took that will make sense to you since you just read the book. The yellow house is now a bed and breakfast but was the house where “ the old man “ lived in the book and the bench is what’s left of the cedar bench where the old men whittled. 60E0CB77-DA2F-4FCA-9676-7CC81383FDB1.jpeg0A15BBB2-1593-42DB-8D8B-75E172D789B0.jpegAD1401CD-7135-438B-B11F-71F32872E900.jpeg

“Something of Value”, a Ruark book about the Mau Mau uprising in Kenya is near and dear to me. The era was a scant ten years before we moved to Nairobi.

Many of my veterinarian father’s clients had had to fight for their lives when their farms were raided by Mau Mau “freedom fighters”.

Many lessons to be learned from Ruark. The last chapter in "The Old Man and the Boy" really paints a picture of days gone by and what happens in this game of life.

As a guy approaching 30 it made me wish I could hit rewind and go back to childhood hunting and fishing trips, or it fast forward to being a care free old man full of wisdom to pass on. The second book was ok. Not near as good as the first but worth reading to follow up.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back