Old Friends and Big Moose

Thanks. Congrats on the ram, I'm glad it came together for you.

I didn't go sheep hunting. The sheep population is in dire straights, and we will see the lowest harvest on record this year, after the lowest last year. Success rates for even guided hunts this year is approaching sub 40% in many areas, where it used to be 75%+. I know of a couple guys that didn't even see rams this year... A friend of mine hunted with this daughter in the youth season in my spot. The saw 4 sheep in 5 days. We usually see 60+/- in a 10 day trip. They also flew the area before the season, and didn't see much at all. its not a legal ram thing, its a total lack of sheep in general. Guides are not canceling hunts either... and they know damn well what the population and chance of harvest is like.

The first of many meetings on sheep management will be in a couple weeks. Its going to be an interesting winter/spring thats for sure.

I think there was 3 rams killed in TMA this year. They gave out 10 tags, and used to give out at one point 150. ADFG counted 26 "FC" like rams in the entire TMA unit, and spent a lot of time looking. They used to shoot 50-60 rams out of TMA. DCUA tags will get chopped way back, and I wouldn't be surprised to see 19C close. I think there was less than 20 rams killed there this year, but final numbers won't come in for a few weeks. The norm was 90% success for NR and 90-100 rams a year. I think NR success was 40% last year.

I have no idea what I'm going to do next year. I really missed mountain time this year, but I can't really bring myself to shoot one unless its a old ram. Winter of 2021-2022 was worse than 2012-2013, and the spring lingered on in many areas into June. There are hardly any old rams killed this year, and we're shooting 6-7yo like they are going out of style. Once this last winter catches up with that harvest rate, we'll be in the sub 200 rams or less killed a year. Its going to get ugly. Pre full curl requirement in the early 90s we were shooting 1200 rams a year.
Thank you I feel fortunate to have been successful, when we checked my ram in the bio said that they were only at 40 percent of what they usually would be at during that time in the season. They would have normally checked in over a 100 rams and mine was number 41 checked in. I wouldn’t doubt that in the coming years it will go to a draw much like a lot of the western states in the lower 48, with that being said I’m glad I have one before just going and buying a tag in Alaska and being able to hunt becomes something of the past.

My guide and outfitter made me aware of the sheep herd and lack of and took less hunters this year, next year and isn’t booking any sheep hunts past that point tell the herd gets better. He actually cares about the sheep and clients experience. Plus he isn’t sure what is in the future for the state if they are going to go to a draw or close it down so with that uncertainty he isn’t booking anyone for sheep.

If you see the percentage and stats from the state would you mind posting them I would be curious to look over them?

I know of a number of NR that came back unsuccessful, matter of fact more that didn’t then did.

Thank you I feel fortunate to have been successful, when we checked my ram in the bio said that they were only at 40 percent of what they usually would be at during that time in the season. They would have normally checked in over a 100 rams and mine was number 41 checked in. I wouldn’t doubt that in the coming years it will go to a draw much like a lot of the western states in the lower 48, with that being said I’m glad I have one before just going and buying a tag in Alaska and being able to hunt becomes something of the past.

My guide and outfitter made me aware of the sheep herd and lack of and took less hunters this year, next year and isn’t booking any sheep hunts past that point tell the herd gets better. He actually cares about the sheep and clients experience. Plus he isn’t sure what is in the future for the state if they are going to go to a draw or close it down so with that uncertainty he isn’t booking anyone for sheep.

If you see the percentage and stats from the state would you mind posting them I would be curious to look over them?

I know of a number of NR that came back unsuccessful, matter of fact more that didn’t then did.
Going full draw is unlikely. I have a feeling it will be limited some other way and if NR aren't the first to get a reduction, there will be pitchforks. $$$ talks though.

The FC rules basically allow for harvest of only the old "surplus" rams. The problem is we are shooting a lot of 6-8 yo which aren't old rams. The harvest by guided and non guided hunters has been very young this year, which was expected due to the lack of lambs 9 years ago. It's unsustainable to keep blasting those young rams. Well end up wit a CO raghorn situation at best. Going to be an interesting next couple years. We need some easy winters.

Bears are a little different here. They tend to get shot if they hang around. Residents don't need a tag. Some areas you can shoot two. Meat was about 200 yards from camp next to the strip. Food was un the tent bacon was in a cooler outside tent. Beer was in the shade next to tent.
Yeah, bears can cause issues locals just deal with. And they taste good to. Went to throw the coffee grounds out of my cup. Looked around the corner for moose. Ducked back in the cabin n asks beautiful wife if she wants to harvest a bear. She hasn't had coffee yet. Blueberry black bear, 3" of pure white bear fat. Nice hide, still in the freezer. The grizzly on the back porch got a headache. I remember that 3' shot pretty well
I hang meat where I can see it with a campfire light.
Hope I didn't jack ya, just some good bear memories
The moose got wacked by snow real hard too. With the high water n flooding this season making it more difficult for some to get out. Harvest rates should be interesting

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back