Caribou Gear Tarp

Old car-what is it?

I was going to guess '56 Buick. That side trim looked Le Sabre-ish. '53 was the first year for Le Sabre and that was probably the sexiest design ever for that model. 1953 was a big year for GM. First Chev Bel Air and hydraulic valve six cylinder engine, first PowerGlide auto transmission (though Olds 3-speed auto tranny preceded it by several years), first Corvette. My first car was a '53 Bel Air. A real cherry. Wish I still had it. Those first PowerGlides were tough and worked great ... if you could keep fluid in them. Torque tube drive line was always leaking. Very tough on gas too.

We graduated high school in early June of 68. The only girl I was every really in love with I think. She was a pretty girl and had a car. What can I say. Still the prettiest girl I know.
Congrats brokfut, that's quite the accomplishment, then and now. Good for ya'll.

I was going to guess '56 Buick. That side trim looked Le Sabre-ish. '53 was the first year for Le Sabre and that was probably the sexiest design ever for that model. 1953 was a big year for GM. First Chev Bel Air and hydraulic valve six cylinder engine, first PowerGlide auto transmission (though Olds 3-speed auto tranny preceded it by several years), first Corvette. My first car was a '53 Bel Air. A real cherry. Wish I still had it. Those first PowerGlides were tough and worked great ... if you could keep fluid in them. Torque tube drive line was always leaking. Very tough on gas too.
Buicks always had three, sometimes four chrome circles or ovals on the front fenders, dependent on the year and model.

Last edited:
I don't believe it is a 56 Buick due to the lack of side ports and the chrome Trim

1956 Buick Production - Hometown Buick

Also the car in the picture has the Oldsmobile emblem on the front quarter panel.
View attachment 172654

Right! I can’t believe I forgot about the Buick side ports. My dad would not drive anything but a Buick & we had a 55 Buick convertible to haul 4 kids but it seemed like we had plenty of room back there.

I think for that time period there were the 88 and Dynamic 88 designations. Guessing 88 for the thread pic.
Olds 98 dates to at least 1952. That was the earliest car in my memory for our family. Dad traded it in for a '58 Chev wagon in 1960. That wagon was a lemon. Three speed manual on the column and pretty sure it had 215 six engine. What a dog! The Olds 98 was a grand car though.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back