Old 7mm mag Sako 85 model

Skull, don't put a brake on your magnum without shooting a similar gun that's braked. I guarantee if you go prone with that gun and a brake shooting at a pronghorn, you will have some hearing damage. A few years ago I borrowed my brother's 300 Win BAR when the scope on my Springfield went belly up. Browning put a BOSS system apparatus on the end of the barrel. It is an adjustable counterweight for correcting barrel harmonics. Unfortunately, Browning also ported it as a brake. Kinda anti recoil overkill considering BAR is probably the heaviest rifle made (short of elephant killing double rifles) AND also semi auto, both of which mitigate recoil considerably. I got the drop on a nice buck and decided to try shooting him off bipod from prone position on the side of a coulee. The muzzle blast off the ground literally knocked my head off the gun. For a week afterwards it seemed like I could here broken glass rolling around inside my skull. For his birthday a few months later I gave him an aftermarket BOSS tube WITHOUT ports.

On the positive side, if you put a brake on that magnum, you'll always have the range to yourself ... very quickly. Hopefully your tires won't be slashed when you're done.

Last edited:
Why not a muzzle brake
They are LOUD! It’s awful to be around people using them.

Moreover, you’d have to get rid of that front sight to have the muzzle threaded to attach a brake. It’s just my opinion, but it’d not be beneficial to the overall look of that rifle.

As Ontario said, that thing is already plenty heavy enough to absorb some recoil. Lighter rifles with a composite (plastic) stock impart felt recoil on the shooter a lot more than heavier wooden stocked ones. A good updated recoil pad on top of the wooden stock will do wonders for your felt recoil. And, it’d be much cheaper than having the rifle threaded for a brake.

I do not like Limbsaver. They are TOO soft. Slip-on models won't stay put on the gun. Very squirrely. Also, with heavy recoil (like my 3" mag shotgun), I find the back of the trigger guard slams into my middle finger just above the knuckle. Pachmayer Decelerator is much better. Lots of recoil reduction but not too much. If you decide to change recoil pads, don't go cutting any of the wood off the stock. Shouldn't need to since it already has a pad on it. Let a gunsmith do the installation. They have jigs to cut pads to fit.

Ontariohunter
you know the people at the Creekside gunshop in south Ontario
south of ST. Catharines

They are LOUD! It’s awful to be around people using them.

Moreover, you’d have to get rid of that front sight to have the muzzle threaded to attach a brake. It’s just my opinion, but it’d not be beneficial to the overall look of that rifle.

As Ontario said, that thing is already plenty heavy enough to absorb some recoil. Lighter rifles with a composite (plastic) stock impart felt recoil on the shooter a lot more than heavier wooden stocked ones. A good updated recoil pad on top of the wooden stock will do wonders for your felt recoil. And, it’d be much cheaper than having the rifle threaded for a brake.
My dad had his Tikka 7mm rem mag threaded and had a brake put on at a local gunsmith for $150. Cut the recoil in half. Yes it's louder, but it's significantly more fun to shoot. Should use hearing protection anyway, but this solidifies the need.

I have the gentry quiet muzzle brake which works pretty well. It helps a lot with recoil, and it also isn't loud like other brakes. It's louder than no brake, but it blows gas & noise away from the shooter instead of back at them. It's a healthy balance between recoil reduction, and muzzle blast

don't go cutting any of the wood off the stock. Shouldn't need to since it already has a pad on it. Let a gunsmith do the installation
If the LOP is too long for his son, he definitely should cut some of it down along with the pad. A good fitting rifle feels a lot better than a poor fit one.

Also, I wouldn’t get a brake installed strictly because it has iron sights. 7 mag doesn’t buck too hard with a well fitting rifle anyhow.

Last edited:
Ontariohunter
you know the people at the Creekside gunshop in south Ontario
south of ST. Catharines
No, I don't know anything about them. The outfit in Orillia has a good reputation. Be careful. Just like car mechanics, gunsmiths are famous for finding things wrong with a gun that really aren't problems ... just expensive to "fix." Wish I was closer and could help. I'm about as far away as I can be from GTA and still in Ontario.

This is my Springfield. You wouldn't know it's a WWII rifle. I've done a lot of work to it including replacing the stock (twice), scope (this is the third) safety, magazine, trigger, barrel, rings, changed bases to rail, and added iron sights. Red Lake gunsmith changed the barrel and an outfitter in New Brunswick hot blued it. The rest of it I did myself. I'm presently in the process of changing the safety again (this will be the fourth one) to a design that is more friendly to optional iron sights.
20221031_131148.jpg

If the LOP is too long for his son, he definitely should cut some of it down along with the pad. A good fitting rifle feels a lot better than a poor fit one.

Also, I wouldn’t get a brake installed strictly because it has iron sights. 7 mag doesn’t buck too hard with a well fitting rifle anyhow.
He said his son is twenty-one. Not a little kid.

Yes my son is a big boy
lot bigger than me almost 6’ but I want him to be comfortable and confident
he shot it a few times and has hard times with it
Im in Sudbury maybe I should bring to you Ontariohunter
I really appreciate all you guys comment
you have the contact information on the guy in Orillia

Yes my son is a big boy
lot bigger than me almost 6’ but I want him to be comfortable and confident
he shot it a few times and has hard times with it
Im in Sudbury maybe I should bring to you Ontariohunter
I really appreciate all you guys comment
you have the contact information on the guy in Orillia
I will be in Timmons next month for a couple of days. Can you bring it up? You could always send it to me in the mail. 😉 I know I'm honest ... but you don't. My African hunting buddy is a retired (now partially disabled) gunsmith. He's been a big help getting my gun sorted out. We can always pick his brain. He is four hours west of me.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerezA
Back