Oklahoma buck down

okie archer

Feel blessed to have taken this buck. I have never killed a decent buck in October until this year. I have several trail cam pics of this deer. After reaching my goal of killing a black bear with traditional archery just 18 days earlier I really wanted to get this buck with trad bow as well but I guess I lacked confidence. I had both my recurve and compound in the truck that morning but when I parked to go walk in to tree stand I chickened out and grabbed my 2008 Bowtech compound. (Sorry longbow51 please forgive me😄). I do plan to hunt with trad bow this year but I didn't want to mess up on this 11 point.
This deer walked by at 20 yards and I aim for the slight quartering away shot. When I saw arrow impact I thought I hit him to far back. 10- 12 inches of arrow was sticking out as he ran off. I lost sight of him for a couple minutes but I caught a glimpse of him slowly walking as he made a semi circle around. It appeared he bedded down but I couldn't say for sure. I waited just shy of 3 hours in the stand. Once I got down I slowly approached the cedar I visually marked from the tree. With an arrow ready I slipped up and found him right where I saw him bed from the tree. He was stiff so apparently he had been dead the whole time. Arrow went in just behind last rib and busted 2-3 ribs just behind opposite shoulder. Actually got paunch, liver, and both lungs. He traveled about 100-125 yards. All though a tracking dog wasn't needed I went home and got my Bloodhound I'm training and let her track the deer.
Gross score 151 6/8".IMG_20221018_123257.jpgIMG_20221018_122955.jpgIMG_20221018_121218.jpgScreenshot_20221010-192912.png

Last edited:
First thought.....that is a handsome deer.

I imagine that those three hours in the stand drug by super slowly.

Congratulations

Congratulations! Haven't got out yet this year and this warm weather sure hasn't motivated me to get after. Good to see someone getting done on a nice buck.

First thought.....that is a handsome deer.

I imagine that those three hours in the stand drug by super slowly.

Congratulations
Honestly it wasn't that hard to stay put. I knew it was 100% a fatal shot and if I handled it right I felt I would recovery the deer. We had a cold front and it was 37° that morning so the deer shouldn't spoil.
I for sure know what you mean but that feeling of waiting so long wasn't nearly as bad as the feeling of getting down to quickly and bumping the deer and never finding it. Trust me I know, I've been there.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back