Ohio Spring Get Together - 2004

P

pawclaws

14 through 16 May 2004 at the Salt Fork Reserve outside of Cambridge, Ohio. (About 2 hours East of Columbus.) The resort boasts a full service lodge of 150 plus rooms, more than fifty 2 and 3 bedroom cabins, a ton of fancy sites for trailers, campers, or tents, and a primitive group site camping area (which we will be using). There is also a bridal path, horse camp, beachfront swimming, 2 swimming pools, an 18 hole golf course, mini-golf course, tennis courts, basketball courts, a full service restaurant, gift shop, pro-shop, outdoor amphitheatre, fishing, hunting, and shooting on site. I plan to do a little of each. We are having a pot luck Saturday evening and a breakfast Sunday morning. Plan to do a little turkey hunting Saturday Morning and Maybe Sunday morning too depending on things. Gonna do some skeet and still target shooting Saturday afternoon with maybe an impromptu turkey shoot. I'm doing every type of outdoor cooking I can think of just to share techniques, food, and recipes and maybe if I get my STG sign up some Ohio Camp Cook Charter members. In any case I plan to have some fun and maybe even drown a worm or two; cause they say they have some great crappie, blue gill, walleye, and big mouth bass. Come on out and let's have some fun. :D So far we have about 30 folk coming. It is pay as you go and the price of the group camp is four dollars per head per day. Sunday breakfast at group camp is on me; however, donations will be greatfully accepted! :D
Moosie could I please get a stickie on this one??
More information and answers as this develops.
hump.gif

If anyone is interested shoot me an e-mail or post something here so we can have a halfway accurate count for the Park Managers! :D

[ 03-09-2004, 16:55: Message edited by: pawclaws ]

Don't know if we can make it yet but will keep you posted.
Got an offer on our house and if they accept the counter offer then we will be out of here by the end of the month and back towards Missouri ways looking for land.
Might have some time come May to swing by for a day or two to visit. Will let you know soon.

I wish!! Closeas I'll get is Idaho in October; if Elkgunner, can come through with a loan for this po old retired gubmint worker! :D

Paws - I would love to attend the camp cook out and pick up a few pointers on camp cooking. It sounds like a great time will be had by all. My Dutch oven cooking, other than stews, have been deserts which turn out tasty. I want to learn to make biscuits for our regular camp outs with out all of the T&E. (please post a recipe) In hunting camp its so much easier to use gas stoves and make a fast breakfast of meat, taters, eggs, Pancakes and coffee and be done when the ones going hunting are through feeding, saddling etc..Years ago we would roll out go hunting then return to camp around 10 or 11 for breakfast, of course in those days we cooked on an open fire or a fold up pack stove if the weather was bad. Returning to camp at mid day wasted so much daylight and hunting time we changed to an early morning breakfast and fanny pack snacks...

BUT... I'm unable to attend as intriguing as it sounds.. I have reservations at the Bishop Mule Days blow out that takes place Memorial Day week in Bishop, Ca.. I check in there on the 24th and since I live just North of Reno it would be a long trip in a short time. When you have the one in Idaho I'll be there ;) .. Old Timer

PS I enjoy reading this forum.. ot

Old Timer, keep your ears clean cause we may get to link up somewhere yet! :D I'm gonna try to cook DO, open fire, irons, griddle, coleman and maybe even do a little Coleman camp oven. I like variety. Just got myself a foldup charcoal grill that looks like it'll be fun but a mess to clean up! I'll post a cathead biscuit recipe I like pretty well here soon. Took all day to get this thing on line. (Cats got to the connect boxes again!) :eek:

Here's your biscuit recipe. Preheat the oven and use a thermometer. Make sure it is greased with lard pretty well and try to let yoiur biscuits hit the right spot when you drop them without moving them around a lot. Also rotate your oven lid 90 degrees every five minutes; better 45 degrees ever two or three minutes; and don't raise it up.

4 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 cup lard
1/2 cup butter
1-1/2to 2 cups buttermilk, milk, or water

Combine dry ingredients. Work in lard and butter to form a grainy dry mix then add milk gradually. Mix until all the dough forms a ball which should be a bit sticky but not too difficult to handle. Wetting your hands with cold water will help. Using lard grease the bottom and sides of your Dutch oven "WITH YOUR HANDS" allowing your hands to be greased as well. Divide the dough into "10" equal sized portions, shape and place in greased 12" or 14" camp Dutch oven and bake 20 to 25 minutes at 425º F. The biscuits should be quite large, about 3 inch balls. Allow sides of biscuits to touch and arrange in rings in the bottom of the DO. This recipe may be divided in half for a number 8 Dutch oven. If buttermilk is used, reduce the baking powder by half and add a teaspoon of baking soda to the original recipe.

Here is opne more secret; well actually two: If you like your biscuits flakey, just before you roll out your snake to pinch them off knead your dough out flat and push it and slide with the heel of your hands as you press down. Fold it and repeat this three or four times. After you pinch off your dough and roll out your biscuit and got it in the oven take a piece of wax paper or paper towel and wipe a little butter over the top of the bixcuits just before putting the lid on to bake. :D

Thanks for the recipe and added touches. I remember watching biscuits being made when I was a lad and reading your directions brings back memories. Thanks again.. Old Timer

Hey paws. I am goimg to try and come up that way to pay a visit to Frank and his wife Net. Plan on staying with them but I might come by Salt Fork and say hi to you if it will be okay.

Paws, I might just change my mind on attending! I have to think about it! Just kinda got my neck bowed right now. Don't want to meet up with the wrong someone and end up...well, I think you know! It wouldn't be doing right by the others to have that happen! I'll let ya know!

Welcome OldTimer! :D CG if you should make it to Frank's and not make it to Salt Fork; you'll never be able to ride a horse again!! :eek: Keep me posted. If Frank has to go to school that week-end the wife might like to visit Fenton Glass with you and Net if you'll have her. Sue is really familiar with Fenton, Lloyd dolls, Longenberger baskets, and Ohio art pottery. Jim; I fully understand,but will be pulling for you to come! :D

Don't worry Paws. I will come to the GT to see you and I would love for your wife to go the the glass factory with me and Net. That way she won't get to bored. Hehe......
Coffeeman, I sure hope you change your mind. Forget them jerks. Don't let someone else rule what you want to do. I learned that the hard way.

Thanks CG. I'll be looking forward to it. When you two gals get your schedule figured out give a shout so I can let Sue know what days she needs to take off work. (I'm sure that will make her happy!) :D Guess what we have two brand new of in the cage that say mew mew mew. Yep about seven hours old. Wanted to let her have this litter to see if the Burmese would come through. It did; times two. :D

Phil, my 13 year old (TurkeyEye) is going to King's Island on the 14th. So right now that leaves us up in the air for that weekend. I might try to make it over the next day or not. We will have to see what that May weekend brings. ;)

If you lhave enough energy to come out after a day at King's Island; I'll buy you a cup of coffee!! :D

Well fill'er up on me, then! :D Probably shouldn't of said that!

Just about got the "pot luck" contributions figured out for Saturday's dinner. Know for positive that everything will be cooked in a Dutch oven or over an open fire. Kind of have a feeling that there will be smoked pork loin, Roast loin of beef, Mexican corn bread, peach cobbler, and the GT tribute "Da-Limp-Noodle! :D And those are only my contributions! Now I need to get the breakfast menu for Sunday morning. Why don't you guys tell me what you like. Shoot, we may even go "ala cart" and let you special order it! :D If you get a chance let me know who is going to turkey hunt so I can pack up some treats for the early risers. :D

Back