Off the wall Euro mount

OntarioHunter

Thought you might enjoy this. Client decided she wanted her Euro whitetail on a piece of barnboard. I have used up our supply so she brought over a couple of boards. She really liked the partially burned piece but unsure how to mount something to it. I enlarged and cropped a photo I took at a local pond a few years ago and printed it on two sheets of sticky back paper (Avery 8.5x11). Then seamed together on a piece of 1/8" bamboo plywood and mounted behind the hole in the board. My daughter suggested adding a photo of the gal at the bottom. I "weathered" the unfinished frame from crafts store and added some faux nails to nail holes in the wood and a fake one to give appearance the frame was nailed to the wall (frame is actually held in place by two screws through the back of the board). In the event that this young lady shoots a nicer buck down the road (nothing wrong with this one!), she can swap out skull and photo.20210219_100208.jpg

I am considering a similar skull cap mount. Bleach the skull cap, glue a fake nail on it, and mount to barnboard with similar weathered frame photo below. I had a piece of excess trimmed from the gal's board that would work great ... but I gave it back to her. The rack for my 2018 buck is still hanging up in the basement waiting for shoulder mount (my daughter FINALLY ordered the form last week). Might as well give it a try and see how it looks. Can take a photo to show clients a different option. Might work. Whataya think?

Not quite as fancy, but has meaning to me. Barn board and shed was taken off of old barn , from farm(great grand parents) that buck was shot on. skull brain hole is slipped over the G3 tine.

Attachments

• DC9FDAA7-4BC7-453C-9CC9-96F72410EDDA.jpeg
    DC9FDAA7-4BC7-453C-9CC9-96F72410EDDA.jpeg
    689.4 KB · Views: 7
I really like that. I think I will try something the same with my wife's buck from this year. Not near as big as that tanker but she will be happy with it I'm sure.

Not quite as fancy, but has meaning to me. Barn board and shed was taken off of old barn , from farm(great grand parents) that buck was shot on. skull brain hole is slipped over the G3 tine.
Interesting. I think we have some sheds around here that would work. One problem with muley euros is the skulls need to be pointed out from the wall at a significant angle (see attached) otherwise the horns are sticking out in your face. Taxidermist supplier sells supplimentsry plaques to add the angle but I don't care for it. The Skull Hooker can do it too but again I don't care for the skulls sticking that far out away from the wall. I also think they look too artificial with all the decorative cutout. Detracts from the skull. My feelings only as I readily acknowledge Skull Hooker does make a good product that anybody can make work. I have designed hangers that are virtually invisible for my muley and smaller African skulls. I think I will borrow your idea for one of the muley skulls to show clients. Of course we don't have much demand for mule deer work out here but as you have shown, a shed hanger can work for whitetails too. Maybe I'll just use a part of the shed. Thanks for giving me something to think about. Look for a prototype on here soon.
20201017_214324.jpg20200327_133529.jpg

Back