Off the shelf muzzleloader recommendations?

I just bought the accura v2 last month. I had intentions of buying the optima but after shouldering and handling the accura I decided to spend the little extra. The stock felt better, it shouldered nicer for me. Although I haven't shot it yet I am glad I tossed in a little extra for it.

I am in the market for a new muzzleloader this summer/fall. I have shot older CVA and Traditions guns. I'm leaning towards a CVA V2 LR but am also open to the possibility of going with a CVA accura PR. I read through the previous posts on the two guns, but was hoping that with a couple more years of shooting, members might have a better grip on the pros and cons of each. Any input is appreciated.

What are your motivations for getting a muzzleloader in the first place? It is it to simply take advantage of the muzzleloading seasons, then buy whatever is the latest, greatest. I can't help with that.

If you are looking to get a feel for the experience of muzzleloading at it was "back in the day" when muzzleloaders were the state of the art. If you want that sort of experience, then there are not so many options but at the same time much to choose from, but you have to hunt for the gun before you hunt with the gun.

I have an Accura V2 also. The break action is nice and it cuts down the overall length making it a bit more handy. Best I've done accuracy wise is just under 2" at 100 yds with shockwaves and xtps- which I guess is decent for any muzzleloader. The removable breech plug is very nice to have and makes cleaning so much easier.

You know, my CVA Optima V2 isn't just a whole lot more accurate...but I've never spent any time really trying to dial it in. I bet if I used some of the Barnes TMZ that I use in my Rem UML, it would shoot MOA or better.

How many loads have you tried? I stick to Hornady SSTs and 3 777 pellets. Cheap. Works. Kills deer.

What are your motivations for getting a muzzleloader in the first place? It is it to simply take advantage of the muzzleloading seasons, then buy whatever is the latest, greatest. I can't help with that.

If you are looking to get a feel for the experience of muzzleloading at it was "back in the day" when muzzleloaders were the state of the art. If you want that sort of experience, then there are not so many options but at the same time much to choose from, but you have to hunt for the gun before you hunt with the gun.

Well, to be honest, I started out with my dad's cva around 2001, and enjoyed having a little late season opportunity, season runs from 12/1-12/31. I've also found more success getting permission to hunt private land after rifle seasons have closed and during archery season (I've hunted archery each of the last 21 years as well). I've hunted with my current muzzleloader for the last few years and have enjoyed the experience. It's an older traditions. It's never been a tack driver but has gotten the job done on a few deer. I'm ready for a little more consistent shooting muzzleloader. The reviews I've read have given the CVA's high marks for accuracy, with some stating that the LR has better accuracy than the PR. But I have no personal experience firing either, and was hoping to get some first hand accounts of the pro's and cons from some current owners, which I am grateful for.

You know, my CVA Optima V2 isn't just a whole lot more accurate...but I've never spent any time really trying to dial it in. I bet if I used some of the Barnes TMZ that I use in my Rem UML, it would shoot MOA or better.

How many loads have you tried? I stick to Hornady SSTs and 3 777 pellets. Cheap. Works. Kills deer.
Mostly the above-mentioned bullets, but now that I think about it, my best groups were with Hornady SST's, but using the yellow sabots from the T/C Shockwave bullets lol. They gave a tighter fit and grouped a little better. I also have had better luck with loose powder vs pellets. Weird, but I actually noticed a lot of moisture absorption in my Pyrodex pellets one day and they were very inconsistent, so I switched to 777 loose and never looked back.
I don't see myself ever shooting a muzzleloader over 150 yards, so anything within 2 MOA is good enough for whitetails I guess.

I have a TC Impact. Son uses a Tradititions. Both shoot better than we can with BH209 and 300 grain XTP. Took quite a few whitetail with them....pick what fits you and is comfortable and go shootin! Have fun.

Mostly the above-mentioned bullets, but now that I think about it, my best groups were with Hornady SST's, but using the yellow sabots from the T/C Shockwave bullets lol. They gave a tighter fit and grouped a little better. I also have had better luck with loose powder vs pellets. Weird, but I actually noticed a lot of moisture absorption in my Pyrodex pellets one day and they were very inconsistent, so I switched to 777 loose and never looked back.
I don't see myself ever shooting a muzzleloader over 150 yards, so anything within 2 MOA is good enough for whitetails I guess.

Yes, those yellow sabots are a b*tch to get loaded but they are more consistent. I use a little chapstick cheat. My buddy suggested bore butter, but I'm not carrying that in the field. But my lips are always lubed up with chapstick, so I give the sabot a little kiss before loading and she slips right in. It's a handy little trick.

777 pellets are not immune to aging effects. It's dry as a bone here but I think my garage gets a little warm (mid 80s in the summer). I found the 777 powder shot like a foot low at 100 after a season. Now I buy new stuff every year.

Seconding TC Impact. I’ve had mine for 8 years, shoot BH 209 and SST’s and it drops deer where they stand. Never had a problem with it and it shoots better than I can. Price was also right.

I have a CVA Accura V2 thumbhole stock. DNZ mount with a Bushnell DOA 250 it's just awesome with BH209 and 250 SST's. I cant see ever changing guns, I am currently trying some TEZ and TMZ's just for fun. Last year heart shot my buck at 240 yds. no wind and was 100% confident. Bang steel at 300 yds regularly.

Yes, those yellow sabots are a b*tch to get loaded but they are more consistent. I use a little chapstick cheat. My buddy suggested bore butter, but I'm not carrying that in the field. But my lips are always lubed up with chapstick, so I give the sabot a little kiss before loading and she slips right in. It's a handy little trick.

Will have to try. Thanks!

I went with the CVA V2 LR. Drove down to Sidney and picked it up today. Didn't have time yet to shoot it but went with the blackhorn breechplug and powder, and barnes 250gr TMZ to start with. I have some hornady bullets and access (brother and hunting partner) to some powerbelts if these don't group well for me. Thank you all for the input!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back