Caribou Gear

Off the shelf muzzleloader recommendations?

I went with the CVA V2 LR. Drove down to Sidney and picked it up today. Didn't have time yet to shoot it but went with the blackhorn breechplug and powder, and barnes 250gr TMZ to start with. I have some hornady bullets and access (brother and hunting partner) to some powerbelts if these don't group well for me. Thank you all for the input!
Congratulations, good choice, let us know how it shoots!

I went with the CVA V2 LR. Drove down to Sidney and picked it up today. Didn't have time yet to shoot it but went with the blackhorn breechplug and powder, and barnes 250gr TMZ to start with. I have some hornady bullets and access (brother and hunting partner) to some powerbelts if these don't group well for me. Thank you all for the input!

Congrats!! As to powerbelts...they are rather cheap for the copper plated lead ones, so I use those to sight in. I'll set my sights or scope with them and then it's only a shot or two to finalize with my good bullets that are more expensive.

Had a little time today to shoot, and I do mean a little. I shot the new gun 5x at 50 yds to start dialing in scope so i can start building a load. It shot really well, had it 3" high at 50yds by the third shot. held pretty good group there. I'll hopefully have more time this coming week to start shooting over a chrono and grouping it.

I stopped in Bass Pro last night. They had several models of the Traditions brand. I should have taken pictures, but one of them had rust on the barrel (maybe it was returned...or another shopper played around with it with wet gloves???) and another one I tried to unscrew the breech plug and it got stuck about one thread out - I couldn't get it to screw back in or out more. A guy behind the gun counter saw me struggling and came over. He couldn't get it to budge either.

Just did not leave a good impression of quality. I mean, if there are problems with the product before it is even fired...

If you want to go cheap, get a CVA Wolf, very accurate and great little ML. Otherwise, like most, I would recommend a CVA Accura V2.

I am in the market for a new muzzleloader this summer/fall. I have shot older CVA and Traditions guns. I'm leaning towards a CVA V2 LR but am also open to the possibility of going with a CVA accura PR. I read through the previous posts on the two guns, but was hoping that with a couple more years of shooting, members might have a better grip on the pros and cons of each. Any input is appreciated.

Having owned the V2 LR I can give you about any info you need on it.
Mine loved the 290 grain Barnes or 300gr Hornady SSTs with 110gr of Blackhorn 209.
It is an extremely accurate MZ and I have had zero issues with it. Make sure to buy the Blackhorn Breechplug if you plan on using Blackhorn and if you can get the Nitride coated version (you will thank me later)
I have rang steel with it on a 10 inch plate out to 300 on a calm day.
The only thing I had against it was it was heavy to pack around for a mountain rifle. I do a lot of stalking and still hunting so it didn't lend itself to that very much. I ended up buying the Accura MR and selling the LR. I do miss it however anytime I'm hunting somewhere I want to shoot a little further at.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back