Off the shelf muzzleloader recommendations?

jbowlin

I am in the market for a new muzzleloader this summer/fall. I have shot older CVA and Traditions guns. I'm leaning towards a CVA V2 LR but am also open to the possibility of going with a CVA accura PR. I read through the previous posts on the two guns, but was hoping that with a couple more years of shooting, members might have a better grip on the pros and cons of each. Any input is appreciated.

Last edited:
I have a CVA V2 and it’s a shooter. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another. Mine shoots XTP sabots really well.

Attachments

• B4FB5D75-18F1-4035-9834-223B9C273FF8.jpeg
    B4FB5D75-18F1-4035-9834-223B9C273FF8.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 48
I'm going to 2nd the cva accura v2. I'm limited to open sights here, I dont know if the models you mentioned are able to be equipped with opens or not. I havent found a bullet mine doesnt shoot well.

If your shooting bore sized conical‘s (as you would be on a Colorado hunt) i’d recommend trying to pick up an older model knight. I’ve had problems with the bore size conical‘s and barrels with a loading relief in the end. I love my Thompson Center guns with sabots, but can never get them to group with the bore size bullet. Something that is rifled all the way to the end of the barrel has performed better for me. You can usually find a knight wolverine, lk or mk on gunbroker pretty cheap on gunbroker.

Last edited:
For the money, get a CVA. $250-500 depending on what you want. They shoot great. The breech design is fantastic. Easy to clean. Reliable. Can't go wrong.

I have sunk $1000 into a Remington UML and another $300-400 on load development. My Optima V2 just shoots.

I had really good luck with Traditions Durango (long since discontinued) with cheap sabots and Blackhorn 209. I've tried other combinations of conicals and non-lead bullets with complete failure in accuracy.

John or Aggie, would either of you recommend against going with the accura in favor of either the wolf or optima?

In my experience it's mostly about your budget and your intention with the rifle. I bought my first Wolf for my ex. I have an older Optima for a Colorado rifle and an older TC with a scope for other states. Neither of my older rifles have the nice finger twist out breeches. I shot her Wolf a couple of times and it liked the load I shot out of my other rifles and is lighter in weight than my others and has the finger twist out breech plug. So, When she left I made sure I kept that gun and it's been my Colorado gun for the last couple of years. I put the tru glow ghost ring sights on it and it shoots amazing. I think many guys think they need the most expensive equipment out there. Yes, clothing and a few things are worth the extra money, but my $200 rifle is just as functional and kills just as many animals as someone else's $700 muzzleloader. I'm actually thinking about buying a second one to put a scope on and replacing my TC. But, when it comes down to it...I've killed more animals with my CVA Bobcat percussion cap rifle that I grabbed on clearance at Kmart almost 20 years ago for $69 than any of my inlines :cool:

John or Aggie, would either of you recommend against going with the accura in favor of either the wolf or optima?

I can't really say from experience. Supposedly some of the Accura's are made by Bergara? Am I making that up? Fact check that.

If that's the case...maybe!

My buddy has an Accura. It's fantastic! A little nicer overall than my Optima. But honestly? My Optima shoots just as well and work just as well. I think I paid $250-300 for it...it's a bargain. I regret buying the Remington...although I just got a new full aluminum bed stock and that thing shoots a half minute now. So, maybe it'll redeem itself.

I don't think you can go wrong with a CVA. I don't think the step down in aesthetics is worth saving $50 for a Wolf. Just my $.02 ... But they're nice MLs too.

I'm learning the load matters more than anything else. But all things being equal I'd probably get the accura or optima in a nitride barrel if I had to do it over again. I'd also make sure to get a stock you can shoot open or scoped (made that mistake).

I got a scope base that had an adjustable peep sight on it. Combined with QD rings, it's a NM/CO border crosser of a ML!

I have an Accura V2 also. The break action is nice and it cuts down the overall length making it a bit more handy. Best I've done accuracy wise is just under 2" at 100 yds with shockwaves and xtps- which I guess is decent for any muzzleloader. The removable breech plug is very nice to have and makes cleaning so much easier.

Back