Off The High Dive Now...

For the last thirty years Labs have been the most popular breed registered by American Kennel Club. For good reason. Welcome to the club! She will be an easy keeper. Looking forward to hearing/seeing more of her.

Great looking pup! For pheasants or ducks? Or both? Training yourself?
Thank you! My current thinking is for pheasants....I've more opportunity for that where I'm at now, and upland is in her pedigree.

I'm not confident I'll have the time and experience to train her well as a gun dog myself, so I'll explore trainer options in the area.

Last edited:
Thank you! My current thinking is for pheasants....I've more opportunity for that where I'm at now, and upland is in her pedigree.

I'm not confident I'll have the time and experience to train her well as a gun dog myself, so I'll explore trainer options in the area.
Where abouts in iowa? I know a pretty good trainer out that way.

ADORABLE! We almost got a puppy as we have been thinking about getting one for a while. But the wife and kids are going to be gone 8 weeks and I'll be gone 2 so this isn't the year. Cute little one! Take care and have fun!

Don't worry too much about it. Labs pretty much know what they're doing when they come out the chute. Work on elementary obedience. Try to get in the field a lot with her by yourself while she is little. They tend to be very clingy at that stage and she will learn to stay close as she grows. That worked very well with the late great Opal who was from a late litter and started hunting at three months. Here she is with aload of sharpies and these weren't even her first birds! She pointed and retrieved her first Hun the week before at just three months and three days.OpalPatSharpies.jpg

If it’s your first working dog, get ready for lots of headaches and lots of frustration. You’ll also have the biggest sense of accomplishment and enjoyment out of hunting with him though.

-Z

Three years ago I bought my first dog. That first year summer we trained a lot almost every night and started hunting just shy of 7 months. I didn’t find dog training too difficult just time consuming. Sounds like yours has the genetics. Sure she will turn out just fine!! I wouldn’t hunt birds without my dog now

What a beautiful girl!!! I think retrievers (I have a Golden) are simply the best dogs period. Wonderful with families, intelligent, dying to please and great noses. Congratulations!!!

Here is my Daisy....first night at home and a couple of years ago. She is a spritely 12 now.

Attachments

• daisy by the fire.jpg
    daisy by the fire.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Daisy's first night home.jpg
    Daisy's first night home.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
The best advice I got for training a new puppy, was just to encourage the pup to pay close attention to you. Take lots of walks. If she wants to go fast, hang back, or hide behind a tree sometimes until she comes back looking for you. If she wants to dawdle, go fast sometimes. It's simple stuff, but really helps the dog learn to key in on you and be aware of you. That really comes in handy later, especially when there are bird smells and lots of distractions. Congrats on the new family member!

Thanks all. Hard to believe how quickly she's growing. She's pretty much doubled in size in the few weeks we've had her home.

Good progress with crate training, and she's picking up the basics (Kennel, Sit, Here, Whoa)....lots of interest in pheasant wings.

Not gonna lie though, I won't miss the puppy teeth, those things are sharp!!!

20210428_111045.jpg20210428_111106.jpg

Took pup out on a hike today, she's now 11 weeks and doing really well....but I'm not sure if we'll be able to do it much longer.

It seems like my 5 yr old likely is allergic to dogs. She's played with dogs in the past and never had an issue, but with the new pup in the house she's suddenly showing allergic symptoms the past few weeks.

We'll visit the allergy clinic in about two weeks to confirm. If it's confirmed I'll put a post in the classifieds and find our pup a new home. That will be a sad day if it comes to that. :cry:

If you know someone who may be interested in a pup, feel free to PM me contact info....if we have to make a change it's best for everyone for it to happen quickly.

(Not really even sure what that means...a "maybe for sale" post?? )

A couple updated photos from this morning....

20210515_080013.jpg20210515_081707.jpg

Don't get too worked about it yet. Kids often go through the allergy thing until their developing immune system gets straightened out. You may actually help that development by keeping the child in contact with the pup. Guess it depends on the severity of reaction. This is also the pollen and fungus blooming time of year. That could just as well be the cause. It may be coincidental.

Received the good word today that there are no dog allergies in our house....just coincidental seasonal allergies. :)

We get to keep our pup. Will update as training progresses.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back