Off The High Dive Now...

Received the good word today that there are no dog allergies in our house....just coincidental seasonal allergies. :)

We get to keep our pup. Will update as training progresses.
WONDERFUL!!! This news may break a few hearts on the forum. That pup is a beauty. Would have been a helluva bidding war!

Lola is almost 6 months old now. Basic obedience is progressing nicely, I think. Sit, here, stay, kennel, etc. Crate trained and housebroken.

This weekend I did live bird and gunfire introductions, and she did well with that too. No concerns with gunfire, lots of bird drive.
20210816_173437.jpg

Gotta keep working on retrieve.
20210816_172943.jpg

Thanks all for the encouragement here, hoping we are able to get out and hunt birds this year...we'll see how it goes.

Quick update...FIL and I got Lola (now 9 months old) out for another training session with live birds and gunfire yesterday. On my last bird and gunfire session several weeks ago she showed a reaction to gunfire....not scared but she noticed it and was momentarily distracted, so I stopped and waited to get a partner to help me resume.

Yesterday went great...started w 50-75 yds between dog and gun, with live bird retrieves. No issues and we were able to quickly close the distance, no gun sensitivity and retrieve is going well.

Finished the morning by "hunting" a half dozen placed chukar and quail out of the CRP through flush, shot, and retrieve. She did great. I allowed her to carry the last retrieved bird beside me 200 yds to the truck.

It was a good feeling and a rewarding day.

Thanks all for the advice so far...we seem to be progressing decently together.

Apologies for the lack of pics but I was so focused on dog and gun that I forgot to get out the camera at the end of the morning. I think it's probably time to get her out on some real birds, and I'll certainly have pics from that day!

Big day today! Got Lola out for her first hunt on wild birds. She did fantastic. Flush, shot, and retrieve on her first wild rooster.

39447.jpeg

Just over 9 months old, she hunts close, quarters field well, retrieve was beautiful (and very much needed in dense cover!).

39454.jpeg

So much more for us both to learn, but really a proud moment.

Iowa Opener 2022, seems like appropriate update time. This will be Lola's first full season. She did great this morning. Lots of hunters on limited public, but we put up a couple roosters, scored on one with a great retrieve and had a successful day.

20221029_092929.jpg

51410.jpeg

Really liking this! Congratulations on getting to this point with your pup. Keep at it and it should only get better!
I have lots of hours in training my black lab male this summer trying to get him ready for this year's waterfowl season. Pup will be 1 year old on Nov. 15th. He's just about ready to go on first hunt. Very excited.

What a beautiful girl!!! I think retrievers (I have a Golden) are simply the best dogs period. Wonderful with families, intelligent, dying to please and great noses. Congratulations!!!

Here is my Daisy....first night at home and a couple of years ago. She is a spritely 12 now.
I have the same baby at home

Lola turned two years old this past weekend.

20230218_142119.jpg
We had a decent 2022 pheasant season, but a pretty severe pad injury cut our season short a few weeks. Will try to get in some training days with a local retriever club this spring, to shorten a long off-season.

Really want to try to get out to SD or someplace similar to put larger numbers of birds in front of her, but with an AK trip already in the works for 2023 I will have to see how many kitchen passes I can muster. ;)

Lola turned two years old this past weekend.

View attachment 265642
We had a decent 2022 pheasant season, but a pretty severe pad injury cut our season short a few weeks. Will try to get in some training days with a local retriever club this spring, to shorten a long off-season.

Really want to try to get out to SD or someplace similar to put larger numbers of birds in front of her, but with an AK trip already in the works for 2023 I will have to see how many kitchen passes I can muster. ;)
Lookin good!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back