Off grid cabin friendly counties?

lifesupport4u

Does anyone have knowledge of which counties might allow unpermitted off-grid cabins?

The answer may be none. I am not entirely sure where to start and I am not really ready to pull the trigger even if a great opportunity presented itself. Right now it is a pipe dream of owning a little slice of land with a small cabin (think glorified tough shed) to stay/camp at. A coworker of mine started flipping land recently and it has peaked my interest.

It's CO, so anything with an appealing price tag probably has a tough situation for water.

Not sure on actual permitting, but ever been to Crestone? If there's permitting, it'd be the most lax anywhere I've seen. Depends on what flavor of off grid neighbor you want to be around...

Good luck. I would think that Moffat, Craig would have the least amount of restrictions and they are still pretty rough.

I agree with mountainlaurel's assessment of the San Luis Valley. There used to be numerous real estate listings for your own 5-acre slice of the valley floor.

FWIW, I don't know if you'll find that in CO. Maybe some of the more desert type counties on the western side of the state. I bought some land in Gunnison County last year, and holy shit...you should see what I have to do just to put a freaking driveway and camp pad in. The land is beautiful though, and the neighbors are clean. Just playing devil's advocate here, but be careful what you ask for. When you get into situations where you have "unpermitted off grid cabins" you might get some real interesting neighbors. My dad purchased land in central WY that is zoned RAM, and they could care less what he does out there. You might look up there, but like I said, the one neighbor has used tires on his trailer, and the other seems to collect garbage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back