Odds of using an Idaho OTC General Tag for Bear, Mountain Lion, or Wolf

tomengineer

I’m planning a 2020 Mule Deer hunt in Idaho, Montana or Colorado. We are looking at the usual criteria of season dates and success rates etc. to try to make a good decision. One of the main benefits with selecting Idaho is that it opens up the possibility of taking another animal with the OTC deer tag. My question is how realistic is that? I’m not sure the harvest statistics for each animal includes those taken under mule deer tags. I realize this is likely unit dependent but really just looking for any input I can find. I’m guessing seeing a mountain lion within shooting range is like a unicorn but not sure on black bear or wolf. We would be flying in from the east so we are a bit more concerned with getting something rather than a trophy. Thanks in advance.

Also kind of a misleading title. I realize wolf is a separate tag but looks to share a season with mule deer in the units we are considering.

Last edited:
That's like asking what your odds are of running into an Irish person on a trip to Europe.

That's like asking what your odds are of running into an Irish person on a trip to Europe.

That came off rude. It really is impossible to know without more details. If you're going to the Selway or Lochsa in September, your odds are very, very good. Southern Idaho in late October, I'd think your odds would be almost zero.

I think if you're in the mountains in an area with timber you have a decent shot of seeing a black bear. Mountain lion pretty rare (although I've seen three cats in two years while hunting in Montana). Wolves probably somewhere in-between.

I think if you're in the mountains in an area with timber you have a decent shot of seeing a black bear. Mountain lion pretty rare (although I've seen three cats in two years while hunting in Montana). Wolves probably somewhere in-between.
Ok that makes sense. I guess I’ll have to go out and see what I see. Thanks for the response.

I've hunted ID a fair amount. Depending on where you end up hunting in ID, chances could be great or terrible. I hunt the central part of the state and in 2018 I shot a wolf while OTC deer hunting and the next day passed up a small chocolate colored black bear that I could have easily shot. Saw cougar sign as well. This year while OTC deer hunting, fresh bear sign was found every day and several bears were spotted which could have been stalked if one wanted to. If you decide to head to ID, definitely pick up a wolf tag.

I've hunted ID a fair amount. Depending on where you end up hunting in ID, chances could be great or terrible. I hunt the central part of the state and in 2018 I shot a wolf while OTC deer hunting and the next day passed up a small chocolate colored black bear that I could have easily shot. Saw cougar sign as well. This year while OTC deer hunting, fresh bear sign was found every day and several bears were spotted which could have been stalked if one wanted to. If you decide to head to ID, definitely pick up a wolf tag.
Ok great thanks for giving me some perspective (and hope). I’m thinking I’ll be somewhere in central ID this fall.

Note
Yeah, I'd just go this route and buy a wolf tag. When I deer hunt in Idaho I always buy a wolf tag, and sometimes buy a bear tag. Main reason being they're so cheap. I dont want to burn my $350 deer tag on a wolf when I could've bought a $30 wolf tag.
Noted and appreciated. Thank you.

I was thinking the same thing Tomengineer. I hope to hunt central ID this year and will be buying a wolf, lion and bear tag. If I have success with one of those I'll be over the moon lol

Last edited:
I was thinking the same think Tomengineer. I hope to hunt central ID this year and will be buying a wolf, lion and bear tag. If I have success with one of those I'll be over the moon lol
If I convince my wife to let me fly across the country, rent a car, buy tags,and get lodging while she watches our three children I’ll bring home a squirrel as long as I can tag it.

Chances of tagging a wolf or a bear in Idaho are as good as any state out west. We practically give black bear tags away, for a reason.

With that being said, stumbling upon a wolf or a cat is a needle in a haystack. Wolves seem to be spread relatively evenly throughout
the state these days, for the most part. You have a good chance of spotting a black bear in Sept or Oct throughout much of the
state.

Personally, I wouldn't shoot a bear with an expensive NR tag. Come back in the spring if you really want to shoot a bear. Cheaper
and the bear hunting is much better.

Idaho is the most predator rich western state there is. Saw 6 lions last year while deer hunting. Saw 4 bears in 2018 while deer hunting a different unit. I’ll have a predator tag or two with me this year.

Hunted Idaho a couple years in a row. Haven’t seen a lion, bear, or wolf. Plenty of wolf sign. I thought seeing such animals was not possible and then over in Montana this year I had a lion come right up to me. So, likely? No, possible, yes.

Yeah, I'd just go this route and buy a wolf tag. When I deer hunt in Idaho I always buy a wolf tag, and sometimes buy a bear tag. Main reason being they're so cheap. I dont want to burn my $350 deer tag on a wolf when I could've bought a $30 wolf tag.
I’ve seen more bear Early in the season and wolf later. If your hunting in the snow it will amaze you at how many wolves are around. But, I second the buy a wolf tag and don’t waste your deer tag on it.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back