Odd Meats

zeke1

Does anyone cook things like coon, beaver, opossum etc? If so whats ur secret recipes?

I trapped a couple nuisance beavers two years ago and sautéed the back straps with onions and bell peppers. I brought it over to my grandpa's for our weekly card night. It was very good. At 90, Grandpa is slowing down a bit, so he had finished his plate before he put it together that he'd just eaten beaver. The look on his face was priceless!!

cooked a raccoon on the grill, turned out really well. Watch fore flare ups though they are pretty fatty.

Easy way out.

Have eaten coon many times; baked, or boil until coming off the bone, chop up the meat into a hash, add onions, garlic, a little oil, some hot sauce (preferably Texas Pete) and then lightly fry it in a skillet. Possum is best caught live and caged, fed on sweet potatoes and cornbread for a couple of weeks to clean it out and then baked like a suckling pig; always served with sweet potato or with some Cackalacky sauce over it (made from sweet potato).

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...e/cd10&usg=AFQjCNHZ7wk4E_qMWkf_m1pS1UHSfXNfUA

For you CO guys you can find Cackalacky sauce at Peppercorn in Boulder.

Attachments

• Possum.jpg
    Possum.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 462
Last edited:
I knew a southern brother or sister would help me out with this!!!
My grandad would have brains and eggs every Saturday morning and it was good!

I think Steve Rinella has a recipe for beaver...he loves it.

I watched Rinella dump gall bile on a piece of meat for seasoning...saw him gag, and never thought much of his advice after seeing that. It was the Mexican Buffalo hunt episode I believe.

About the only weird one that I have eaten is muskrat. We just battered and fried it. It was really quite good, but I could not get past the fact that I was eating a rat. It would sure beat starving, though.

I have eaten raccoon. It was at a game feed. I thought it was pretty darn good. They browned it and slow cooked it, skimming off the grease as it cooked. (They are very greasy, like a bear)

Serves it like BBQ beef sandwiches. Richer than beef, but I liked it.

My boy scout troop would host a "Wilderness Dinner" where the proceeds were used for feeding the hungry. The Dinner was in September each year which worked great for locals to empty out the prior season's leftover game.

We always had BBQ beef brisket and roast turkey but most years had most of these:

Deer
Elk
Pronghorn
Bear
Raccoon
Possum
Squirrel
Rabbit
Beaver
Muskrat
Wild turkey
Goose
Duck
Quail
Dove
Pheasant
Frog legs
Panfish
Catfish

Each mother of a scout had to cook up one of the "exotics" and one year mine cooked the raccoon. Cut up like a squirrel with each leg and then the back in 4 segments. Cut up two big boars. We ran a trap line so would freeze up a couple but sold the rest to locals. Mom used a Dutch over with some water, onions, carrots, celery, salt and pepper. Most likely would get the same results with a crock pot.

Most folks filling their plates at the wildlife dinner would take a small bit of several of the more exotic items and they really seemed to enjoy the idea of being able to tell friends they has just eaten squirrel or possum, etc.

Beavers are great tasting and if you trap the meat adds up fast 500-1000# a year just by throwing a few traps out while runnning a muskrat line.
You don't really need any special recipes crock pot roast, smoked, jerked I've never not liked it.

I had possum once. The guy cooked it real slow, and it was pretty good. The other one that I thought was weird was mountain lion. It was pretty bland and tasteless. I had a hard time getting past the fact that I was eating CAT!! It wasn't bad though.

I trapped a couple of possums recently but I don't know if I'd ever eat those ****ers lol.....

They are so ugly, I don't know how you can look those things in the face and then still have an appetite.

My neighbor trapped a bunch of beavers recently and made bacon wrapped beaver back strap, very rich, but very good.

Back