Oahu charters?

Addicting

Headed to the Oahu for spring break with the family. Trying to get part of my Mom’s bucket list done. She has always wanted to go to Hawaii and watch the sunsets.

So while this will likely be a one and done for us due to the expense, my only caveat was I get to go fishing.

Looking to see if anyone here has had a successful charter they would recommend. I don’t see any party boats that do reef fishing with good reviews. So it’s probably going to be a private charter targeting mahi-mahi, tuna, amber jacks, ect ect.

Last edited:
:) What a guy. Mom wants to go to Hawaii to watch the sun set's, so he takes her with the explanation he's full filling a dream of her's but now we find out he's going to go fishing! :) man after my own heart!

:) What a guy. Mom wants to go to Hawaii to watch the sun set's, so he takes her with the explanation he's full filling a dream of her's but now we find out he's going to go fishing! :) man after my own heart!
I’m not going to specifically go fishing. Dad would never go, Mom always dreamed of it. So now that dad is passed she has the opportunity but not the means. We agreed to shift our yearly vacation to give her the means.

One family fishing day in a 8 day vacation. That’s a pretty fair trade off. She is not the only one with a bucket list that gets items checked off.

Yep, I got a hunting trip in England and got my wife over to see Ireland. Enjoy! The sunsets on Oahu are pretty nice!

Well, lower your expectations and open your wallet but I would check the boats at Kewalo Basin. Best to charter the whole boat so you don’t have some stranger wanting to go in because they are sea sick.
You will find Ala Moana Park and Magic Island just east of there. I have been away for a few years so don’t know current situation with the homeless but lots of locals gather for recreation, swimming, BBQ’s etc.
IF you have a car (suggested) check out Sandy Beach on the south shore if you want to get away from the tourists for a morning beach walk. Also find time to hike Diamond Head but go early and carry water. The views are well worth it. I’ve seen 4 year olds in flops climb it but it can be a bit much for some people. There are two paths near the top, one easier than the other.
You probably want to stay out of Wai’anae but check out the North Shore if you can. The surf this time of year gets big.

Last edited:
Lots of chapters. No recommendations though. The biggest thing in HI for good fishing is what time of year you go. Some months are not great as the fish are not really in abundance. Winter is the time for big fish.

Also most all charters keep the fish. You get the experience... I went once in out of Oahu. WE hooked a couple striped marlin landed a wahoo and a couple Mahi, and it was an amazing day on the water. It was 6am-7pm. I've done a lot of charters and it was by far the longest day. We fished 10 hours.

I’m not going to specifically go fishing. Dad would never go, Mom always dreamed of it. So now that dad is passed she has the opportunity but not the means. We agreed to shift our yearly vacation to give her the means.

One family fishing day in a 8 day vacation. That’s a pretty fair trade off. She is not the only one with a bucket list that gets items checked off.
Hope I didn't offend you, wasn't my intention. Just found it funny! :)

I am reading a lot of reviews and there is a lot of folks who get skunked. Doesn’t really seem to matter which boat or captain I’m reviewing. Is the fisheries just not that good?
I would say bambistew had an exceptional day.
Sad, but I have ridden my bike by the boats in the basin and Ala Moana hundreds of times to check out their catch and sometimes seen the same fish tails displayed for days. Not to question their business model but think of hundreds of tourists that will never be seen again, fuel prices, the need to satisfy more than one group on the boat, rough vs calm waters to fish and the ocean begins to gets small.
Kona HI first, then Lahaina and then perhaps Oahu. Are fish caught around Oahu? Absolutely and my friends on private boats get their share fishing and free diving but they are driven.
I personally would rather go to Pier 38 early on an auction day and see the commercial boat catches being offloaded and sold. The next nearest place to see that is in Japan I think.

I can't speak to Oahu charters but I caught 10 skipjack and a wahoo on a 6 hour charter called Apex Kauai in December. Great guys

Would've caught less but my wife was throwing up or trying to sleep the entire 6 hours so I got hers too

Would've caught less but my wife was throwing up or trying to sleep the entire 6 hours so I got hers too
I’m worried about this too, she hasn’t had a good charter yet. We are still trying to figure out if anything works.

I’m worried about this too, she hasn’t had a good charter yet. We are still trying to figure out if anything works.
We took a Bonine the night before and half a pill the morning of. The seas were super rough though, most charters weren't taking people out at all

We took a Bonine the night before and half a pill the morning of. The seas were super rough though, most charters weren't taking people out at all
She tried that and it worked on a dinner cruise. But that was a huge vessel and in a bay. So until we try it on open water we won’t know.

Last edited:
They said they hooked into a Marlin a few days before our charter that stripped all the line off the reel in 45 seconds. Can't remember the exact numbers but it came out to about 60MPH. They have some hammers out there. The captain said they'd landed a few over 1000lbs. So much fun fishing the ocean

She tried that and it worked on a dinner cruise. But that was a huge vessel and a in a bay. So until we try it on open water we won’t know.
Yeah my wife doesn't get car sick very easily or anything. You just never really know until you know. The seas were really rough so I'm hoping maybe next time won't be a disaster. I felt bad for her but there's nothing you can do

Trade winds, hotter than hell when they don’t blow and rough when they do.
Scopolamine transdermal ear patches work the best. Developed for NASA. Apply the night before. Prescription last I checked. Some side effects like dry mouth.

I would save my money for a winter trip to Cabo when the stripped marlin roll in. They are killing it right now.
Check out Caliente fishing in Cabo San Lucas on Facebook.
I delivered their boat for them a few years ago from the U.S.
Solid folks…
They have links to some of their catches this last week.

Or travel to San Diego. Southern California is the sport fishing capital of the world and my business for over several decades before retiring from there. Managed to kill a few fish…

Last edited:
Headed to the Oahu for spring break with the family. Trying to get part of my Mom’s bucket list done. She has always wanted to go to Hawaii and watch the sunsets.

So while this will likely be a one and done for us due to the expense, my only caveat was I get to go fishing.

Looking to see if anyone here has had a successful charter they would recommend. I don’t see any party boats that do reef fishing with good reviews. So it’s probably going to be a private charter targeting mahi-mahi, tuna, amber jacks, ect ect.

Hawaii sunsets are incredible. For fishing charters, private ones targeting mahi-mahi, tuna, and amberjacks seem promising. Any recommendations? As i am also planning my trip their

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back