Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

NY bear hunt 2022

NickCNC

Myself and a buddy are planning to do a NY bear/deer hunt in upstate New York. We have zero knowledge of area, might have access to private land (he's checking on that) otherwise it would be public. Just curious if anyone is willing to share quality info to help make for successful trip next year. Thanks in advance.

What part of upstate NY? Are we talking farmland, mixed, big woods in the Adirondacks? Is it in the southern zone, or northern zone? Rifle?

These are all details we have to figure out. Gonna depend on whether or not private land my hunting partner may be able to get us access to with contact he has up there. If not then we be picking a public land spot somewhere and that's kinda what I'm wondering. I'm assuming (with no knowledge of area whatsoever) that the bear concentration, which is our primary target this hunt, would be more abundant in northern zone? I'll be using compound bow, not sure what partner will take, probably his crossbow.

There are plenty of bears in both zones, and a decent amount of public land. Deer will be more numerous the further south you go. With archery equipment, I might err on the side of the southern zone (the seasons will be more generous and so will the critter densities). If you need public land, check out the Catskills. Good numbers of deer and bears and lots of public. It's a pretty area. Bears are just plain tough to pin down in the eastern forests. Often your best bet is to hope for a good acorn year and cover alot of ground looking for the oak stands they're using. You'll probably run into some deer sign along the way. Good luck!

Appreciate the info. I live in CA and hunting partner lives in OH. New York will be fresh terrain for us both. We both hunt whitetail in OH when I visit, and I go for muleys and bear here in CA (CA hunting is not easy either). Needless to say our wives don't jump for joy when hunting season gets in full swing. Again, Appreciate your info.

So I looked into allegany and the State park website says hunting is permitted but bear hunting prohibited... is there another area of the forest lands that bear hunting is not prohibited?

I live right on the NY/NJ border. Bears are all over. NJ just shut down bear hunting again at least it looks like until we have a new governor or I’d show you spots in that state. I’ve seen 11 in one day archery and that’s just normal movement. Too numerous. Were 50 plus break ins of houses a year around here just a spell back.
Id also say southern zone would be much better population wise. I typically see or get a shot at one or two each year in NY. They’ve gotta be solo bears though. Be advised.
This year seems like it’ll be a fantastic mast year. Beech, hickory, find em and look for sign. If you can access a cornfield, they’re really destructive. They lay down in the fields and don’t even walk to the next spot, they reach out and pull rows down, essentially destroying the fields. My neighbor had 13, believe it or not, in one photo in a recently semi harvested field.
There’s way too many here, pm me I’ll give you some ideas where you’re close to the border.

Any public land near the NY/NJ border has a good bear population. Check the NY DEC website for harvest statistics where they will narrow harvests down to regions and then towns. Hunt the early September bear season if you can there will be far less hunters in the woods than during the deer season. I’m from downstate NY.

Myself and a buddy are planning to do a NY bear/deer hunt in upstate New York. We have zero knowledge of area, might have access to private land (he's checking on that) otherwise it would be public. Just curious if anyone is willing to share quality info to help make for successful trip next year. Thanks in advance.
My buddy and I want to go to Adirondacks to bear hunt in fall. From pa and would like some advice.

thanks

I spent most of my life in the Southern Tier of NY. Great deer hunting and bear populations are healthy from what I know. If bear is the primary target the Catskills and the Adirondacks are the best bets. If you are willing to risk a little lower chance of seeing a bear and being a little further from the "prime" hunting zones, look into Connecticut Hill or Sugar Hill.

I will be back in NY to rifle hunt deer and bear in November. Looking forward to that and seeing my kids and grandkids for the first time in 2 years...(expletive COVID restrictions)

There are so much black bear in my town, I'm in a lower suburban county just outside nyc. Never had the calling to hunt bear, although that may change as it seems the bear sightings are more and more every year.

So I looked into allegany and the State park website says hunting is permitted but bear hunting prohibited... is there another area of the forest lands that bear hunting is not prohibited?
Look in 9r south valley state forest.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back