Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

NW or SW/SC South Dakota

TheWanderer

Am coming up with back ups to my back up plan for this year.

Didn't draw CO deer and as of now am planning on spending last week of Sept in SW CO on an OTC elk tag with a buddy of mine. There is a chance he won't get off work and I don't know about going to CO for the first time on my own because what the hell do I do if I get one down.

So if he can't go I'm thinking of spending that week in SD hunting deer. Not looking for numbers but more generally would you recommend the NW part of the state or in/around the Badlands. Both have good areas for WIA. Also any other don't miss this or eat here kinds of things would be great.

Have been to black hills for turkey and east of the river for pheasant but have never done a trip for deer before.

Thanks.

If you are thinking about the Buffalo area in the northwest corner give me a shout and I'll see if I can help you.

Can't help you much with SD but you could still elk hunt solo and if you shoot one, have somewhere lined up beforehand to rent some llamas. Shoot elk, go get llamas, put elk on llamas and let them pack it out for you.

Am coming up with back ups to my back up plan for this year.

Didn't draw CO deer and as of now am planning on spending last week of Sept in SW CO on an OTC elk tag with a buddy of mine. There is a chance he won't get off work and I don't know about going to CO for the first time on my own because what the hell do I do if I get one down.

So if he can't go I'm thinking of spending that week in SD hunting deer. Not looking for numbers but more generally would you recommend the NW part of the state or in/around the Badlands. Both have good areas for WIA. Also any other don't miss this or eat here kinds of things would be great.

Have been to black hills for turkey and east of the river for pheasant but have never done a trip for deer before.

Thanks.

dont know your regulations there,,but
no deer on earth you cant carry out deboned in one lot
if worried about being shot whilst carrying a deer whole just wait till dark(take a pic of said deer with date and time on camera)
dont put walls in front of you and miss out on a fabulous hunt;)

I think the deer tags are somewhat difficult to get in SD unless you go archery,not sure on the season structure. Pheasant hunting is good around the Martin area, lots of public access as well.

Nebraska is archery only in Sept.

But you might look into a Western KS Muzzleloader hunt in Sept. Pressure is not bad that time of year and the deer are pretty easy going. If you can catch some cool weather it can help. Tag is expensive but might be an option.

Thanks for the invite Dakota79. I may message you in a bit as I get things shaken out and come to a decision on where to go.

vdo84 - I did start to look into llamas for packing and will call out. The area I'm considering in CO for elk has some llama rentals nearby that require an orientation class and then rent by the day with delivery possible (will need that since I'm flying out due to limited time). I haven't determined how much advance notice they need. I haven't found a llama rental nearby the place in MT I've had my eye on for a couple years but haven't made it to.

roadhunter - I am looking at going to SD for archery deer last week of September so tags are OTC. I agree the pheasant hunting is first class in SD depending on area and pressure. I'm headed back out west (after this end of September deer trip) to do a 4 day family hunt near Winner, SD.

I'd do the elk hunt.Nothing more fun with a bow then elk in the rut.I think you'd be able to pack your elk solo if you stay within 3 miles of your truck.Go later in season and night temps are in the 20's.Hang what you couldn't get out in a cool shaded area and get it next morning.Montana has leftovers and tons of block management areas.You'd be all alone on them bowhunting deer,and I'd say they have better numbers of deer
Reconsider your elk hunt though.Alot of guys go solo and are successful.Your meat would be fine hanging for a day maybe 2.You DONT have to goin 7-8 miles to find elk in co

I've been seeing some bachelor groups of mulies coming through the grasslands between Hot Springs and the NE border. The antlers in that area seem to be more developed than those further South for some reason.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheyenneKennedy
Back