MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

NV Muzzleloader 072-074 First For Everything

Antcap

First off I think I'm the luckiest guy on the planet right now!! The Nevada draw results came out yesterday and I found out that I drew a mule deer tag and the bull elk tag that was my first choice. Muzzleloader 072-074 September 17-30. During all of the excitement of the elk tag I then looked up to see what area I drew for deer and it was 194-196. For all of you that don't know, this deer tag is possibly the best rifle tag that you can get in Nevada. It's about a 1 in 20 chance of drawing for a resident and I drew it with 3 points. Needless to say that I almost had an accident in my pants.:D Now that the excitement is at a 9 out of 10 I'm realizing that I've never actually hunted with my muzzleloader and I have no clue what to expect in my elk area. All I hear and read about is really steep mountains and really rugged terrain. This will be a DIY with my buddy and I'm really concerned about the need for horses. Last year my buddy drew a rifle bull elk tag in area 6 and we had to hunt for 10 days before getting a shot. We ended up taking a nice 6x6 at 700 yds and I know that this isn't even a thought for muzzleloader. What should I expect to find during the rut? Do I need to invest in a bull and cow call? Do I need to hunt like an archer with cover up and extreme camo? I believe that it will be a lot easier to get within range of a great bull, but we're talking within 100 yds with open sights. Any help would be much appreciated!!

Congrats Antcap. I too have been blessed with a Unit 061 Elk rut Muzzleloader tag. I will be traveling down from Lake Aleknagik Alaska to hunt my dream hunts in Nevada. I would like to be DIY also and like you have a million thoughts going through my mind. I lived in Montana most of my life so not a stranger to Elk hunting. Then, I owned some great mountain ponies. But as we know Bulls love steep, rough terrain, are big and heavy when down and usually a ways from the road. Hopefully we can get some help and ideas from some savvy hunters who have been there done it! I really enjoy thinking about it anyways...

That bull tag is going to be an awesome, loud bugling fun hunt. Good luck!!!

Congrats man. That is awesome. I drew the late rifle tag for that zone. GOOD LUCK!!!

Thanks guys and congrats on your tags. Iceman, you're going to have a blast with your tag and just make sure that you have some good optics. I've been around 061 and they looked like huge steep, rolling, bare mountains. We talked to a local sheriff in Owyhee and he was telling us all about huge bulls in that area. I just wish I could remember where?? We should have a great time and I'm just wondering how I'm going to wait another 4 months for the hunt. It's going to drive me crazy!! Good luck to you Steve. We have a really good chance at Great bulls.

Good advice

I sure appreciate all the good advice. The Kings are starting to run here in Bristol Bay so every one is gearing up for that. I am trying to stay focused on my hunts in Nevada though because the summer here goes fast and it will be time...Gotta get in shape..lol

congrats,those are awesome tags,,,with that kind of luck you better put in for lotto tickets too.I went 0 for 5 in nevada now 4th year in a row.

Lucky! That 194-196 tag is amazing...buddy of mine missed an 8 by 8 during archery in that area...

I have hunted unit 71 for elk which is right next to where you're going this year. Since I haven't hunted 72 all I can give is some general comments but, I think NDOW does a really great job with elk up in that region. In my experience there are plenty of elk and although you will definitely be around other hunters there won't be too many it's not that big of a deal. 'Im guessing that like I experienced hunting cow elk up there you will find good numbers of elk near the road enclosed areas for 2-3 max, after that they move way back into the nasty stuff and it's a pain. I know that there was a big herd of 100-175 ish head of elk that was moving back and forth on the edge of 71 and 72 via the Pine MTN area in 71, this was two years ago but from what I heard that was a fairly normal pattern and might be something to look into if you're having trouble finding anything. They should be in rut then and I'd bring along the calls for sure.
Goodluck this year!

Thanks for the info wtrfwlhunter. I'm hoping to find two giants this fall. With these tags, at least I know they're out there somewhere. I just have to be willing to put in the hard work. Good luck to you!!

Good luck

My dad drew that tag in 06 muzzleloader he shot it at about 300 yards with a peep sight. It's about 350" i drew 072-074 late this year. Most of what i know about that area is go north way up by Idaho. Private message me i might be able to point you in the right direction then again they might not be in there either way good luck.

So, I finally got out on a scouting trip and checked out some of area 072. All I can say is wow!! This is some of the most beautiful country that my wife and I have ever seen. Also some of the steepest. After seeing what I'm going to be dealing with, I finally talked my wife into letting me use a packer if need be.Not that I needed permission or anything. :rolleyes: So I concentrated my efforts on and around the Wildcat mountain, T, and Draw Creek areas. I hear that these are some really good areas and wonder what you guys think??? I believe that I've gotten pretty damn good at calling and the whole sighting in the Muzzy is very frustrating. I ordered some new fiber optic sights and it came with a ghost sight. I think the ghost sight makes it a lot easier especially if I had one in close. Has anyone ever ran into such a frustrating time using different sabots? I finally decided to use the Barnes splitfire TMZ and found that they were very accurate but difficult to load. I tried the EZ version and couldn't hit paper at 100 yds, but very easy to load. How can a sabot make such a difference? I've read that if a sabot is to easy to load, then it will be less accurate. I've found this to be very true. Please let me know what you guys think of these areas and if they are good starting points. If you have any suggestions about Muzzleloaders, I'm all ears! Thanks again guys, Hunt Talk is amazing!!

Tony

im not sure about nevadas muzz rules,but you may be over powdering your gun,,,too much powder and your grouping generally can get worse,,,you may want to try a heavyer conical.dont be so concerned about speed,a big bullet will knockem down if you place it with accuracy.

I'm using a 250 grain conical with 100 grains of triple seven pellets. You're right about using to much powder and the accuracy going down. When I used 150 grains, those conicals were hitting all over the paper and I noticed the sabots were blown apart. With 100 grains, the sabots stay intact and the accuracy goes way up. Thanks for the advice.

My friend was shooting a knight rifle with 90 grains of powder with a 250 grain sabot, it was for his daughter but the load was very impressive. My dad shoots 70 grains of double f with a 370 grain bullet, its a 45 cal handmade gun. Other guys i know shoot 100 grains of powder and 300 grain Barnes sabot and they are very happy with that load. If your shooting 150 grains i think your more worried about the recoil of the gun as apposed to the task at hand.

I use 80 grains of 777 in my .54 cal with a 435 gr conical,,,if your shooting a.50 cal with a light sabot you may still want to try a lower powder charge and work your way up from say 70 grains,,,remember 777 is 10% hotter than traditional goex powder.even 70 grains will still get the job done if hit proper.

Just a little over two weeks and we'll be chasing bugling bulls in Nevada!! Who's getting excited out there? Me Me Me :) I'll let you guys know how everything turns out and hopefully have some great pictures. Thanks again for all of the great help that you guys have provided me and the other rookie hunters out there. I just love this site!!

We leave tomorrow night and I can't wait to get camp set up and start looking for bulls. My season starts Tuesday the 17th and hopefully I can find some big bulls before they start getting spooked from all of the smoke poles going boooom!!! Good luck boys!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idelkhntr13
Back