NV Elk

lbirch

My friend drew unit 22. He's a little disappointed because he would rather have unit 23. I'm telling him he's crazy. Both units are good. Yes 23 has more elk but 22 has less hunters and not as many elk but they can be just as big. What do you think?

I shot a bull in 22 in 2005. I saw many much bigger than I shot, but all were severly busted up. I am sure there are plenty of good bulls in 22.

Sounds like your buddy needs some perspective. If he shoots the biggest bull in Unit 221 or 222, he will probably never shoot a bigger bull in his life. Hell, if he shoots one of the ten biggest bulls in those units, it will probably be the biggest bull of his life.

+1 Big Fin. A tag in 22 is as good as a Missouri Breaks tag, most UT LE units and right up there with the best AZ units. I think its better than any public land hunting in CO, ID and WY. If your friend is disappointed with a 22 elk tag, he's gotta be pretty hard to please.

I've been working on a project in 22 and you will do fine. I found a 350 shed and elk are moving into new areas. I've only been working here for about 16 months off and on, but you find bulls anywhere from Murray Summit to Silver King.

Sounds like your friend needs to get his head placed back on straight because that is a great tag!

Nv elk

Hey fellas, I'm new to the site and have a question that nobody can answer. If anyone can help it would be much appreciated. I drew a antler less tag for nv hunt units 101-103 for the 1st season aug 1st thru 31st. This is my first elk hunt and I'm not familiar with the area, so my questions are-

Is there a good population of elk up there, being its a depridation area

Is there a good area to start scouting

Really any info about the area or the hunt will be helpful. I only have the first five days of the month to hunt then off to complete some more military leadership schooling for the rest of the month. Can't wait to see what you all have to say good or bad, thanks in advance for any info.

Dainer, Hello, I see that you were willing to help joe in area 103. My wife drew her first ever big game tag in 103. I was hunting Antelope in 101-108 last week and scouted 103 and saw ver little sign of elk. 101 and 102 were extreme hard to gain access. I talked to locals and they were or willing to offer much information at all. I was at the very south section of 103 and access was good but no elk. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
The hunt in this unit turned out to be really tough!

The first six days we hunted an area of the unit where we saw bulls during our scouting trip in September. We found small bulls and cows with the exception of two nice bulls, we saw a 380 class bull the day before the opener and a 320 class bull on the 5th day. We couldn't find the 380 bull and passed on the smaller bull although his dark antlers looked so good in the morning light.

After a short two day break we hunted the east side of the unit. We glassed up three really nice bulls from two miles away only to get there after the thermals changed. The next morning we saw good bulls but couldn't get close enough before the thermals changed again. We spent both days up there until dark glassing but none of the elk would come out. The morning after that we started hiking two hours before light and got to where we wanted to be only to find high winds and no elk. A storm was on its way for sure so I went home leaving my friend there last Saturday afternoon and Sunday.

I returned Sunday night finding my friend pretty discouraged. He saw bulls but nothing very big. The previous 11 days have been up and down and with the end of the hunt only two days away he was wondering if one of the big bulls we glassed would ever show again. I felt pretty good with my time off so I encouraged him to go to the same glassing spot putting us within 1000 yards of where the big ones were spotted days before and hope one would be there.

The hillside we hoped would have elk feeding on it when it was light turned out to have nothing on it. We sat there glassing for 15 minutes then I spotted an elk on a hillside to the north. The spotting scope showed us that there were two 6pt bulls out of seven elk feeding on the hillside. I ranged them at just over 1700 yards and we knew we had to get there before the wind changed. It was rough climbing another 1200 yards after the 3 miles we hiked uphill already but we knew we had to make it happen.

We crested the hill where we wanted to be and saw five bulls feeding in the grass. All were small bulls. To our left my friend glassed one of the 6 pt bulls. We looked him over and thought we was a good bull and one we needed to take near the end of this tough hunt. We made my friend a nice shooting platform out of my Eberlestock backpack and he felt good. He was calm and I watched through my Vortex binos as he fired the TC Encore Pro Hunter 7mm with a Match Grade Machine muzzlebreak topped with a Vortex riflescope. The first shot sounded good and the bull looked hurt and he didn't move. The next round dropped the bull for good and it was all over.

We got to the bull and took some pictures of my friend and his bull. This bull was smaller than the bull he killed in Utah a few years ago but this hunt was much more rewarding. I love hunting elk in the rut but this hunt was all that more special because the elk were uninhibited and on guard 24/7. They lived high on the mountain and it wasn't easy to get there. It was dang cold too.

2012 NV Elk7 (880x638).jpg

After we took some pictures we called our friend who was willing to drive 75 miles to bring his mules up and pack this elk out. We broke the elk down and had lunch while enjoying the view from where we were. We watched as he rode the pack train up from the trail in the distance. We took a few more pictures when he got there and of the pack out.

2012 NV Elk23 (900x675).jpg

We got back to the trail head just before dark and we could tell it was a long day. Our feet, ankles, knees and thighs were just sore. They still are.

2012 NV Elk22 (950x713).jpg

2012 NV Elk21 (1050x788).jpg

Last edited:
Well done. Buddies with horses are great. Buddies that will Drive 75 miles to pack out your elk, PRICELESS. If he calls you to hide a body you have to comply....

Back