Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

NV deer down!

p_ham

Just returned from a week long hunt in central NV. Went with a couple of buddies, one had never hunted before, the other had hunted but not been successful.

We struck out after work on the 9th and rolled into camp and hastily set everything up. There were only a couple hours til wake up time. Of course a truck came squeaking up the trail an hour before I planned on getting up and I couldn't fight off the excites to get back to sleep.

The time finally came and we made our way to our glassing knob and waited impatiently for the sun. Almost immediately I spotted 4 bucks about 300yds in front of us. I knew we should wait until they bedded, but whats opening day for if not blowing stalks? The deer were headed down a draw. The wind was good so I grabbed one of the guys and tried to cut them off. Long story short, the big 3x4 in the group caught us out in the open and split. We kept working our way down hoping to ambush a young forkie who was oblivious to what had happened. When he was about 100yds away some neighbourhood bullies (coyotes) chased him to the next county. We returned to our glassing spot where we spotted a buttload (I measured) more deer. Then I spotted a big old superfork and knew that he and I were meant to go home together.
0810190809_HDR.jpg
I watched and waited for him and a smaller buck to bed, under a big mahogany at the base of a rock. They were almost a mile as the crow flies. I came up with a plan to get above them following the creek bottom and swinging up the mountain a few hundred feet. Luckily the wind was gusting pretty good giving me noise cover. I worked my way closer and closer, dodging countless deer shaped silhouettes in the shady trees and boulders. About 100yds from where I wanted to be I had a showdown with an unseen doe for what felt like an hour. She finally took off down the mountain. Surely taking my buck with her. I pressed on, moving when the wind allowed. The ground was very gravely and dry, standard fare for the desert. When I was 40yds from where the deer bedded, I heard a sneeze from the other side of the small boulder I was resting against. I slowly peeked around the rock hoping to see velvet but was met with a fawn, about 6ft away, feeding on some berries. I sat and contemplated my next move knowing the fawn wasn't going anywhere. I decided to edge out past the rock and wait. After about 10mins the fawn finally noticed I was there, causing great concern for herself. After giving me quite a show she blew out the same direction the doe did. As soon as she was past me I lunged down the mountain to gain as much ground as I could when the inevitable deersplosion happened. The doe came flying out from under the tree to stop the fawn. As soon as I could I ranged her and drew my bow and waited. Superfork came trotting out and stood next to the doe. He finally turned broadside and I settled my pin. I talked myself through my shot, I shoot a hinge, and when the arrow released I watched it fly perfectly to where I was aiming. The buck was dead before he hit the ground. Upon inspection I found that he was standing on a small bench. When I shot he spun around, dropping his front end off the bench headed downhill. The arrow went through his neck, went through his spine, and cut the jugular. Although not happy with where the arrow hit I am very thankful it went the way it did.
0810191215.jpg0810191209.jpg0810191511.jpg0810191644.jpg
Fast forward a few days, after many failed attempts, one such stalk ending nose to nose at 5yds with no shot. I sent the newbie down a nearby draw after a group of bucks. After 8hrs of waiting at the rendezvous spot, the remaining buddy and I set down the draw to make sure he wasn't pinned under a rock. I had seen 3 more bucks head down the draw ahead of us, most likely staying on the south side due to the thick creek bottom. We stayed on the north side and picked our way down. I caught a tail flicker through the trees and we froze. I could see the deer moving toward an opening and whispered for my friend to draw. We waited as a buck emerged from behind the trees. I immediately ranged him and bleated just before he disappeared again. As soon as he stopped I watched the arrow fly perfectly to the deer's vitals. We followed the easiest blood trail I've ever had about 60yds to where the buck layed. I was more excited about what had just happened than I was for my own success. I am glad I could be a part of it. 0814191642.jpg0814191811.jpg0814191942a.jpg
The other guy turned out to be ok, he was waiting at the truck when we got there.

Last edited:
Great story. Congratulations on a cool hunt. It’s awesome to see hunting stories being posted up again!

Congrats guys! Y'all are making the last 32 days before I head west both tolerable and unbearable at the same time lol.

Congratulations on a great buddy adventure.

It is 95 degrees in Kansas today, but I smell the sage and hear the aspen leaves flapping in your photos.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Irish-Jay
Back