NR MT Elk & Deer Point System Change

MNHunter

I see MT is changing the way they award Deer & Elk tags. They are converting all previously earned bonus points into preference points and selling PP in the July 1- Sept 30 timeframe like WY. You can buy a point for this year now:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Preference Point System
The Montana State Legislature passed a new law—effective July 1, 2011—that establishes a preference point system to distribute "Class B-10" nonresident big game combination licenses and "Class B-11" nonresident deer combination licenses. In a preference point system, licenses are awarded to those applicants who hold the greatest number of preference points.

Purchasing Preference Points
Preference points for a nonresident big game or deer combination license may be purchased for a nonrefundable fee of $50. Preference points can be purchased:

•at the time of application for the nonresident combination license; or
•between July 1 and September 30 for individuals who did not purchase a preference point when applying for a nonresident big game combination license; or
•between July 1 and September 30 for individuals who did not apply for a nonresident big game license.
Applicants may purchase only one preference point per license year. Preference points purchased at the time of application are awarded prior to the drawing. The application deadline is September 30, 2011 at 5:00 PM

2011 Nonresident Preference Point Application:
http://fwpiis.mt.gov/content/getItem.aspx?id=51131

Distribution of Licenses
Seventy-five percent of the nonresident combination licenses will be issued to individuals with preference points and 25% will be issued to those applicants who do not have preference points. If the number of licenses exceeds the number of applicants in either group, then the "surplus" licenses will be issued through the other group to ensure all licenses are issued.

Retaining Preference Points
When you are successful in obtaining a nonresident combination license, your preference points are zeroed out. To retain your preference points, you must apply for the license at least every other year. Failure to apply for the license for two consecutive years zeroes out your preference points.

Parties
Up to five applicants may apply as a party. FWP shall use an average of the number of preference points accumulated by those applicants to determine the party's preference points. FWP shall consider any fraction that result from the calculation of an average when determining that priority

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
Just so people know, this is only for the B-10 non-resident elk/deer and B-11 non-resident licenses. It has nothing to do with the limited entry units and does not affect residents.

As if MT was not complicated enough for you NRs. Sorry fellas.

Thanks Randy, I shoulda pointed that out.

One question though on retaining PPs. It seems to me that this is written so that people cannot build and bank more than 1 PP....unless you are unsucessful in at least 1 license drawing. To put it another way, you cannot simply buy a PP year after year.

Am I interpreting that correctly?

Aren't these points for the licenses that went undersold this year?

Yup. Go figure.

And, with the new bill that lets former MT residents buy a tag at 3X the resident price, they estimate another 3,600 guys will leave the draw pool and take advantage of that new program. So, I expect we will under-sell even worse next year.

Seems like a waste to buy a point, unless you see MT eventually having much more demand than we currently have, and if that happened, it might be helpful to have these points.

And, with the new bill that lets former MT residents buy a tag at 3X the resident price, they estimate another 3,600 guys will leave the draw pool and take advantage of that new program. .

Big Fin,
Where can I find more detail on this bill. How and when it takes affect?
thanks
YD

Here is the text of SB 136

TO qualify you have too:

1.) Be born in MT
2.) Have an immediate family member still in residence
3.) Have previously held either a MT resident hunting or fishing license, or passed Hunter Safety (in MT).

Looks like both my wife and I qualify. Somehow, we'll have to live with the guilt of purchasing the cheap NR licenses...

Interesting and a little different than Wyoming because the way I read it you can buy a PP before the drawing and it's good for that year, where in Wyoming it's not good until the following years draw. It looks like MT is looking for any way to get more hunters (MONEY) into the state, but aren't they all, LOL!

Thanks Ben Lamb

Still am wondering why?

Seems like a waste of time and money for the perceived benefit.
yd

TO qualify you have too:

1.) Be born in MT
2.) Have an immediate family member still in residence
3.) Have previously held either a MT resident hunting or fishing license, or passed Hunter Safety (in MT).

Ben, does that mean you have to meet all 3 of these requirements or only one?

Yup. Go figure.

And, with the new bill that lets former MT residents buy a tag at 3X the resident price, they estimate another 3,600 guys will leave the draw pool and take advantage of that new program. So, I expect we will under-sell even worse next year.

Seems like a waste to buy a point, unless you see MT eventually having much more demand than we currently have, and if that happened, it might be helpful to have these points.

My father in law is going to love hearing about that, he coughed up around $900 to chase elk with me this september.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
troutflys
Back