Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Nothing much...

Erik in AK

...to report.

The AK section is getting thin so here's an update from the tundra.

I'm back at the Jay-Oh-Bee after three weeks of house repairs and renovations and not catching any kings(but the season ain't over just yet).

This is my first time seeing the far north in spring. I got hired last august and all my previos trips were in the fall. The wildlife is out in force, especially the birds. I saw a pair of Harlequin ducks and 6 Canvas Backs yesterday, sorry no pics they were too far. The bou have mostly migrated to the coast to calve but I did see some impressive bulls hanging together. The weather's been crap but hey, its Alaska. I'm headed on patrol north after lunch hopefully I'll get a pic or two to post later.

Eureka ride

Went for a day trip on the atv's with my son and 2 friends. Rode roughly 30 miles into the backcountry, saw hundreds of caribou, several moose and 1 eagle. We were actually looking for a brown bear to hunt but didn't see any. The weather turned to crap on us so we turned around and came out before the river got to deep to cross. All in all it was a fun day to be outside and hanging out with family and friends.

I'm still excited about moving to AK. Had an extensive phone interview the other night with my new boss. He wanted me to consider a position in Homer. I told him I wanted to stick to my original plan of going to Anchorage. Yea it has been a little thin around the Alaska forum. Anyway my move to AK is being delayed by a little bit of fortune. I drew a ROCKY MOUNTAIN BIGHORN tag here in idaho after 16 years of applying. Guess I will be half way to my grand slam pretty soon. Hopefully I'll get this one and then move to AK and get the dall. I'm gonna need to find out TBinKodiaks secret dall sheep spot.....?

AKB
TB drew a limited area tag. You don't need to draw a tag to hunt sheep or kill a good ram, but the best areas are generally draw hunts.

When you get to town we can get together over a beer and a copy of the regs and I'll lay it all out for you.

Ice is finally out in the Kotzebue area! I have been sitting on my hands waiting to take my first up river trip and I am getting eddgy! The last of Selawik and Kobuk Lake ice dumped into Kotzebue Sound over the past 5-6 days solid, making boating very iffy.

A buddy of mine landed a 40 inch Sheefish out in the sound in between ice flows. It tipped the scale at just under 32 pounds and will make many nice meals. Char are running in the Kelly and Wulik Rivers and they are big! I will be heading up to Kiana and the Kobuk Dunes over the 4th and should find nice Char in the Salmon River.(Kobuk drainage) This is a 4 hour trip to Kiana and another 4-5 to the Dunes. We are paying just over $4.50 and gal for gas here in Kotz and it is over $5.50 in most villages. It is going to be an expensive boat trip!

Walt
www.northwestalaska

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back