Not your "normal" Turkey picture....

steve sutton

this is a hen Rio "in flight" over the Snake River at Lyon's Ferry Crossing on a recent trip.....

waterlanding-2rs.jpg

Not much Turkey habitat in that area so when I saw her in the Sagebrush I parked to go see what was up.....she walked to the 200' cliffs over the river and then did that "what now" thing that Turkeys do.....faced with the River in front her and me behind her she launched out over the river.....heading for the other side which is over a half mile away at that point.....

Turkeys aren't great fliers and she figured, I guess, that I was the "lesser of two evils", did a 180 and headed back to the cliff she had just left...20 yards out she banked and slid along the face of the cliff, getting some help from the updraft there, and sailed down to the flat at the end of end of the bluff....

Pretty neat being above her with the water behind and below her for a really unique perspective....

Steve

WOW! Great pic! not often do we see a turkey in flight... none the less a view from above! Agree with Nida... frame worthy, there!

Thats a great photo.Turkeys can get-up and go sometimes faster than you would think.I once watched a fall flock of about forty turkeys flush for whatever reason and fly 200 yds. virtually right into my lap.What were the odds,left me chuckling as I slung a great gobbler over my shoulder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnbighunter
Back