Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Not on Your Bucket List

I don't spend a moment day dreaming about hunting Africa. I spend the same amount of time dreaming about mountain lions, or black bears.

I'd hunt almost anything given the opportunity.

My grandpa had a story of a hunt in Africa with his buddy who shot a chimp with a bow. He shot it right in the center of the chest, the chimp grabbed the arrow, and pointed at the guy who shot him as he tipped over.

My buddy and grandpa looked at each other and decided they didn't want to hunt chimps anymore.

The same trip, they were going after elephants and they bumped into some poachers. They took off running when they saw the hunting party. Some of the trackers took off after them and the local warden started shooting at them with a couple of the trackers who had guns. They were hollering at my grandpa to shoot them. My grandpa said he didn't want to because he would've hit them. They ended up catching one of the poachers, bringing him back to camp, beat the shit out of him, then they "took him away" later that night presumably to execute him. They gave my grandpa the guys flip flops he was wearing. Still have them actually.

There's so much more to experience in Africa than just the hunt. So it's definitely on my bucket list, but not at the top.

Alaska, which I know everyone is crazy about it but I have just above zero desire to go to Alaska with all of the logistics, etc. That's not to say I won't ever go, but I'm just not crazy about the idea like everyone else seems to be. Also Africa but I am going next year because my Dad wants to go and I told him I'd go wherever he wanted to go whenever he wanted to go, so we are doing that next July.

Prairie dogs.... never could understand the fascination people have with shooting live targets.
Same. I would shoot coyotes, but only because of the fawn they eat. I haven't yet.

I am getting a bit long in the tooth, so long hiking to high altitudes is out for me. Africa is out because of cost. Mrs. Fan actually won an African hunt for two. This "free" hunt would have cost me about $15k. No t hinks. Too much for this teacher.

Wouldn't hunt Africa if the trip was free. Nothing against it, or people that hunt there, it just doesn't appeal to me. Also no interest in North America sheep, mountain goat, moose or bear.

Last edited:
Bear of any kind top my list. I've no issues with anyone taking a bear legally. Self defense in a bear encounter would be the exception to me shooting at one.

If trumpeter swan ever gets legalized here in MN, I'd have no desire to kill one.

I have zero desire to go to Africa and shoot animals I have no cultural context with.

I used to coyote hunt a lot, I don't anymore. Just don't see the point, and I like letting them walk because I know some redneck in a Z71 would be furious if they knew I didn't shoot it, and I think that's kinda funny.

No desire to hunt and kill the dink mule deer everyone kills in Eastern Montana.

Africa also does nothing for me.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back