Not just a predator

Ithaca 37

Wolves bring a suprising ecological recovery to Yellowstone
By Nicholas Thompson, Globe Correspondent, 9/30/2003

LAMAR VALLEY, YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK -- It's a morning of freezing rain in the valley and a pack of wolves is roaming around Black Tail Creek. A few pups gnaw on an old elk carcass while some adults scout the nearby valleys for prey. Not far away, a few elk have sensed the impending danger and are dashing about. To the tourists in the park, the prospect of a wolf attacking an elk is riveting. To the biologists staring into their binoculars, the real action is taking place in Black Tail Creek itself.

There, a cluster of willow plants is flourishing along the creek bed -- a small but crucial sign that wolves are boosting biological diversity and restoring balance to America's oldest national park.

According to numerous biologists and wolf-watchers, the willows have grown because the elk, worried about staying too long in open streambeds, no longer gorge on the nutritious plants. Since the reintroduction of wolves in 1995, the elk have been increasingly itinerant and drawn up out of the wetlands to high rocky areas where they eat more grass. As hunters, soldiers, and elk all know, streambeds and valleys are dangerous. Attackers can scout from up high and pounce.

This is just one of the biologically salutary effects that wolves may have brought to the park, restoring a centuries-old balance that was.........

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/health_science/articles/2003/09/30/not_just_a_predato r/

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 10-03-2003 20:35: Message edited by: Ithaca 37 ]</font>

Sounds good, if a bit too premature to speculate. If I remember the article correctly (I read it somewhere else) they also lable the wolf as a 'keystone species'. Though I'm not sure of the validity of that statement/theory, the introduction of a large animal that can occupy a wide variety of habitats will create changes with a cascading effect. Yellowstone has been overgrazed for a LONG time, resulting in a lack of willows and aspen in the park. I think additional control measures should include Native American hunting but they should only be able to use Stone Age era technology.

A book coming out next year by Dr. Charles Kay claims that they large populations of animals in Yellowstone are unnatural and thus their management has been flawed from the beginning.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Native American hunting but they should only be able to use Stone Age era technology.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
That is a good article Ithica!!
I don't believe this one portion is a good idea, since we are all paying for the privilage and the right to hunt.
It should be left to any one that wants to use ancient tackle. Subsistance hunting is pretty much a thing of the past using this equipment and the desired effects will not be met by this means...
smile.gif

Only Amerindians would be allowed to hunt, as that would adhere to the NPS mission statement of preserving lands as they were before the coming of Europeans. However, I would love to chase elk with a stick and string and a obsidian broadhead!
biggrin.gif

I personally don't really see the "AmerIndians" hunting much in this fashion and would only see it as a show thing. Why not open it to all, I see myself as much of a native of this country as any one else, and I understand more of it than a lot of the indiginous peoples that I have met...Is it that some would see it as the Indians would be losing more of their heritage if they let just any one hunt in this way, or is it that some one is trying to make it so the tourists see some thing that could be a past reliving itself. If you ask my opinion on this subject. That is just plain hypicritical and bad buisness...
Why don't they bring back the buffalo jumps..
There is one that is just right off I-90...
That would be good for tourist trade also, let every one witness 10-20 buffs being run off the side of a drop off to plunge to their deaths... That is history!!! How about also bringing back the different tribes sneaking in and killing one another on raids, pillaging what they could in the process.. From some of the individuals that I have met, this would be more of a reality than any thing else, and a lot of them would go for it...

Elkchsr, you nor I fit in with the mission of the NPS, which is why I would let the Amerindians in first! It's not about being fair or for the tourists, it's about doing something to get the elk herd to a level that protects the land while still being within the NPS mandates. Which, BTW, may be changing a bit if Valles Caldera is a success.

Buffalo jumps would be cool, but they are not as big a problem as the elk.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back