PEAX Equipment

Not impressed with new bows

A-con

Yesterday, I went down to the local pro shop and shot two of the latest hot rod hunting bows, and compared them to my 5 year old Hoyt Razor Tec.

I stop by every six months or so and check out “what’s new”. Last time the guy told me “if you shoot it, you’ll want to buy it”. So I went in and shot my “old bow” for half an hour, then said ”OK, bring out the best”. I ended up playing with a Hoyt Katera, and a Mathews Drenalin. Both set up at the same draw length and weight as my bow.
I know there are a few Mathews fans here but I gotta tell you the Drenaline was disappointing. It didn’t hold a candle to my old razor Tec. I didn’t crono it, but it didn’t seem any faster, it WAS louder, harder to draw and had a noticeable vibration. The only good points were a rock solid back wall and the weight, it was light but by the time you slapped on enough vibration killing Sims stuff, it would end up just as heavy as anything else.
Next up was the Katera. Big improvement over the Drenaline. It weighed a bit more but was very quite and vibration free at the shot (just like my current bow). It was a bit easier to draw with a solid back wall, and clearly faster than my old bow.
Hoyt has a really nice bow in the Katera, but the improvement over my old bow just wasn’t that great. Not enough to drop almost a thousand bucks.

Bow purchases seem to be incredibly subjective; there are always polls about the best loved bows for the current year. But I'm content with making a purchase and sticking with it if it works for me; I don't feel like I need to have the latest $2000 bow package to show/prove anything. I bought a Reflex Rampage for a few hundred bucks and absolutely LOVE it. To each, his own, I guess. :D

Good to hear Dan! I just ordered new cable string set up for my 2001 Darton. No doubt they've come a long ways since then. Can't find anything to fault on my bow though. It shoots as well as I do. I am considering updating the rest.

I hear all of you on all that your saying. I just bought a used Switchback last fall and am very happy with it. Have no need to buy something that was brad new when i was happy with how the bow I wanted shot. May not be the newest or the shiniest thing on the planet, but it will put an elk down for me.

I wasn't impressed with the Drenlin either, or the Hoyts. There was't too many by bowtech i didn't like though, all very nice IMO. And that is coming from someone who shot a Mathews for the last 9 years

I wish my nearest Bowtech dealer wasn't over a hundred miles away.
Even if I liked them, I want a local dealer.

Todays compounds are bows I don't know much about, I rember the "new" compounds having 4 wheels. Me, I shoot a recurve. When I was a teenager I started regularly shooting a Shakespear take-down recurve, 50#. I saved up my money and bought a, brand new, Jennings "Split-T Hunter" (compound) when I was 17. Used it for years, and liked it, and during that time I learned alot about archery/bowhunting.
While stationed in Suadi, for the first Persian Gulf War ('90-91), I had done lots of reading (G. Fred Asbell, Wensels, Pope & Young, and others), after I returned I went back to shooting a recurve. I now own 4 (Bear "Minute Man," Hatfield TD, Herters, and a "Wind Walker"), I wouldn't have it any-other-way! The "Wind Walker" is a bow-kit I purchased when I was station at the "ROK" (Replubic Of Korea). I need to complete it (riser has to be shaped, and the entire thing needs finish). That's a good question you guys might be able to help me with. I was going to 'finish' it with "True Oil," (gunstock finish), does that sound OK, or does anywone know of something better?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back