Yeti GOBOX Collection

Recurve refinishing/limb twist question

QuazyQuinton

I recently purchased a recurve via eBay, a Darton Super Flite Jr. Scout. It's a kid's bow with 25-30# draw weight. The plan is to clean it up, refinish it, polish it up, put a new string on it, and donate it for a youth raffle prize at the Oregon Wild Sheep Foundation banquet. I've done this a couple times before, and it's fun to see an old bow look new again.

Anyway, the bow arrived today. Definitely needs some TLC, but that's what I was expecting. I also noticed that the lower limb has a bit of a twist in it. Sighting down the bow I would estimate that the limb tip is rotated 3/4 to 1 inch out of line. I know limb twist is something to watch out for, but can someone tell me what it means for this bow? I don't yet have a string to see what it looks like when it's strung.

QQ

There are various methods for limb twist an older bow is less likely to go back. Might try the folks at tradtalk.com and add some pictures.

That’s a lot. I don’t know about limb twists but I know wood and carpentry and 3/4” out is gnarly… let us know what you find out and how it all turns out!

Great Plains Traditional Bows has some really good shows on YouTube, taking older bows and Amazon bows, correcting tiller, twist, etc.

It may untwist when strung. You can get the twist out with heat, but in my experience it comes back eventually. The bow will likely shoot fine either way.

Get a string on it first. Leatherwall will have lots of posts about how to correct it. Most can be corrected. Avoid getting things too hot. Good luck.

Lower limb twist is usually from poor storage. Like setting it upright and leaning it against the wall or in a corner of a closet. Correction can be pretty easy or involved. Depends on what it's made of. Sometimes twisting it over corrected several times will do it. Then store it flat. Sometimes they need a little heat, twist it correct, hold it while it cools. But not too hot.

As far as refinishing goes be careful sanding it down. Sanding can weaken the limbs and make them unevenly tillered if you sand the glass or wood. They're supposed to be a little uneven but I digress... Just be careful to sand the finish but not the limb itself. The riser is more forgiving. You can sand that down a tiny bit.

I find it best to scrape the finish with a sharp object. Less likely to screw it up. I use loose Utility knife blades. Any sharp straight will work if you are careful. Some use a pocket knife.

I have corrected limb twist on recurves and longbows with hot water from the kitchen sink. String the bow up, wrap a wash cloth over the area that the torsion starts, and run it under the hot sink for 5-10 minutes. Let it cool naturally. Next day, unstring the bow, if there is still torsion you can run it under the hot sink, gently bend it right again, then clamp it down on its side on a table and place shims under the tip/side to make it straight while it sets. If you have super hot water, you may want to dial it down a little. Ide also be sure water doesn't soak into the wood by using some plastic wrap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back