Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Not enough

I’m curious about what foundation they’re donating to, and where it’s listed, if the one mentioned isn’t active in Alaska?

900 yards into a 6 million acre park. Yeah they got a little excited and screwed up. Should have continued to try and call the bull across the park boundary. If I had witnessed this I would probably not have said anything unless I felt that they were complete douche bags, and maybe they are. When I lived in Alaska I had a bull about 20 yards from the Wrangell-St. Elias park boundary. It’s like the damn thing knew where the line was. Unlike these fellers I resisted the temptation to shoot. As a LEO I could Jack someone up every day if I wanted to. I tend to error on the side of leniency in a lot of situations if no harm is done.

Steve Rinella had a guest on his podcast the other day discussing all the land being closed to hunting in Alaska. It
Reminded me of these guys that shot a moose on the edge of a giant national park.

4 years of buying beef to replace moose could be a big penalty for some. 900 yards in the days of GPS seems like a lot to be just a mistake. I don't know. I know if you want to make my wife mad you just ask her about the time someone shot onto our property, killing a gobbler she was about to drop the hammer on. I know how many turkeys I've called across property lines to shoot and how many I've held fire on because they didn't come onto my side.

Specifically (begin gobbler hunter ravings) there's a bird that probably died of old age, that I had hunted for years, that the owner of the private it lived on also hunted for years, because I held fire due to it being about ten yards onto private. I can still see the thing in my mind's eye. The beard reached the ground and then curved up a few inches forward. And I could see the hooks from thirty yards. If you're wondering why I was so close to the property line, let me tell you.

I roosted the bird on public the evening before. Next day I was well early and pussyfooting in the dark to get between the roosted gobbler and the private. It heard me stepping and started gobbling. Then it flew down IN THE DARK and ran about 80 yards up the ridge to get across the line, to it's morning strut zone. Being pinned down I grabbed a tree and played the hand dealt. After waiting on daylight, I started calling. It's lieutenant did the same as the dominant bird and I called both toward me, but they wouldn't come in the woodline just like every other time.

Is it turkey season yet?!

900 yards into a 6 million acre park. Yeah they got a little excited and screwed up. Should have continued to try and call the bull across the park boundary. If I had witnessed this I would probably not have said anything unless I felt that they were complete douche bags, and maybe they are. When I lived in Alaska I had a bull about 20 yards from the Wrangell-St. Elias park boundary. It’s like the damn thing knew where the line was. Unlike these fellers I resisted the temptation to shoot. As a LEO I could Jack someone up every day if I wanted to. I tend to error on the side of leniency in a lot of situations if no harm is done.
At times there can be a fine line between right and wrong ... but 900 yards is quite a ways over it. No shortage of moose in Alaska. Go find another one.

Regardless a couple hundred yards within the park or 5 yards on lawful hunting ground... A hunter *should comprehend the hunt.

I've watched the biggest darn bull elk I've ever seen and hunkered in waiting, hoping, offering my left nut to the hunt Gods yet it munched away and walked deeper onto private property.

Don't have the integrity to work w/in the confines of the lawful hunt, doubt a license ban will hinder them any... Though IMO the message is more for others that haven't stepped over that integrity line.

4 years of buying beef to replace moose could be a big penalty for some. 900 yards in the days of GPS seems like a lot to be just a mistake. I don't know. I know if you want to make my wife mad you just ask her about the time someone shot onto our property, killing a gobbler she was about to drop the hammer on. I know how many turkeys I've called across property lines to shoot and how many I've held fire on because they didn't come onto my side.

Specifically (begin gobbler hunter ravings) there's a bird that probably died of old age, that I had hunted for years, that the owner of the private it lived on also hunted for years, because I held fire due to it being about ten yards onto private. I can still see the thing in my mind's eye. The beard reached the ground and then curved up a few inches forward. And I could see the hooks from thirty yards. If you're wondering why I was so close to the property line, let me tell you.

I roosted the bird on public the evening before. Next day I was well early and pussyfooting in the dark to get between the roosted gobbler and the private. It heard me stepping and started gobbling. Then it flew down IN THE DARK and ran about 80 yards up the ridge to get across the line, to it's morning strut zone. Being pinned down I grabbed a tree and played the hand dealt. After waiting on daylight, I started calling. It's lieutenant did the same as the dominant bird and I called both toward me, but they wouldn't come in the woodline just like every other time.

Is it turkey season yet?!
Yeah shooting something on private property without permission is a higher level of douche bag in my mind. It’s not turkey season yet but it’s right around the corner.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back