Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Not enough deer being shot in the UK

Hmm, I have a European vacation coming up curtesy of Uncle Sam I might just have to make a visit to the UK in the next year. Do you guys have any good contact for those cull hunts?
Leec270 - give him a PM

Just thought i would update you on what is happening.

There is a consultation just been sent out by our government, recognising the fact deer numbers have exploded in recent years, and something needs to be done.

Reading between the lines, looks to me like Fallow and Muntjac deer (neither indigenous to the UK) are the main subject, but you only have to come to Devon to see the large numbers of red deer we have here to understand its not just them.

Main proposal, mandatory training for deer stalkers (won't affect me I am qualified), no closed season on male deer, and introduction of night shooting (the latter happens quite a bit illegally anyway!), the result could be, the market is flooded with venison (why we buy from New Zealand is beyond me, unless there is a trade deal?) and the price crashes, deer hunters won't hunt as much, and carcasses get left in the countryside to rot!

For me I think the government needs to pay a bounty on every female deer culled, as at the moment too much focus is on male deer and not enough on the producers!
Also extend the season on females, OK they will be heavily pregnant, but I say better in than out, by that I mean shooting a calf etc leaving the mother to die of mastitis, or conversely shooting a female and leaving the dependant to starve or struggle over winter.

Interesting times ahead, @Dave N @brymoore @Sawtooth you helped a little when you came over!

Cheers

Richard

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back