Caribou Gear

Not enough deer being shot in the UK

devon deer

I thought you might be interested in this article
We can sell venison in the UK, but the market has crashed, so not so many are being culled=population explosion.
No tags required in the UK, just access to private land.
My argument is not enough females get shot at the best of times.
Interesting times ahead.
Cheers
Richard

Reactions: Guy
I thought you might be interested in this article
We can sell venison in the UK, but the market has crashed, so not so many are being culled=population explosion.
No tags required in the UK, just access to private land.
My argument is not enough females get shot at the best of times.
Interesting times ahead.
Cheers
Richard
This is very true, so far this season I have killed over 75 animals and luckily have managed to give most away as well what I eat myself.

i am going to try and kill another 20 red deer this season but i very much doubt I will achieve that target because I have no outlet for the meat.

Richard, please help my cultural ignorance.

If I was a restaurant worker in out of a job in England I’d go buy a rifle, a chest freezer, and go knocking on the doors of rural property owners explaining I like venison and ask if they’d allow me to hunt their estate.

Is it too difficult to obtain a rifle? Chest freezers unpopular? Too much of the population poo poos the idea of shooting a wild animal? People don’t like eating venison?

In the US when there is an economic downturn hunter numbers spike up because people have more time to hunt, you can at least gather your own food, etc.

Richard, please help my cultural ignorance.

If I was a restaurant worker in out of a job in England I’d go buy a rifle, a chest freezer, and go knocking on the doors of rural property owners explaining I like venison and ask if they’d allow me to hunt their estate.

Is it too difficult to obtain a rifle? Chest freezers unpopular? Too much of the population poo poos the idea of shooting a wild animal? People don’t like eating venison?

In the US when there is an economic downturn hunter numbers spike up because people have more time to hunt, you can at least gather your own food, etc.
We have amongst the strictest gun laws in the world, you have to jump though many hoops to get a rifle, let alone a place to hunt with it.
My chest freezer is full!
Recently there has been a Facebook group called 'giving up the game' where people can donate game free of charge or at little cost to the non hunter.
The farmers are very cautious who they let hunt on their land, luckily they trust me, and many people in my county now who I am, and I have a good reputation (or at least so I am told!) and because of this the farmers that were once strangers to me are now good friends, it does help.
But the guy in the article, states he controls the deer on 35,000 acres, well thats BS, I have access to 3000 acres and I struggle to be in the right place at the right time!
But I get my fair share.
Any other questions fire away.
Cheers
Richard

I guess I am just curious how someone can sell a deer to a restaurant? What kind of oversight is there during the process?

Thank god your not allowed to sell wild game in the US. There would literally be none left to hunt. lol

I guess I am just curious how someone can sell a deer to a restaurant? What kind of oversight is there during the process?
Yes we have to have completed some training they call it 'trained hunter status', this enables us to sell to game dealers in the skin, we have a 'hunters number' this then completes the traceability part, so should people fall ill it can be traced back.
Our premises have to be registered with the local council and get inspected by them.
If we want to process and butcher ourselves then sell on it's more involved but we can do it.
Cheers
Richard

If there were no tags and you could sell wild game in North America, we would have no more deer, moose and elk.
Yes I can understand that, 2 completely different countries and hunting models.
UK have zero public hunting ground, all private.
All a patchwork of small farms compared to the farms in the US.
Quite often some farms do not allow any control of the deer, the deer aren't stupid, they soon realise where these havens are, on one farm I hunt the adjacent owner doesn't allow any shooting, so the deer bed there, then travel at night (no hunting for deer at night except by poachers!)and eat the crops owned by my friend, very frustrating, but nothing can be done.
Of course there can be repercussions for the deer, in high densities if one gets ill it can pass it on, so TB can be a real problem.
I identified what I though was TB in the lymph nodes of a red hind once, it's a real ball ache because we have to report to a government department, and it gets taken from there.

In relation to the article, the deer population was exploding anyway, it will just get worse now.
Hopefully if this Covid thing improves maybe some of you can come on over and help!

Cheers

Richard

Back