Nosler vs federal

Any body know the difference between Nosler accubond and the federal trophy bonded tip. Both rounds are 140 gr and have a polimer tip. Difference is the federal is around $50 for a box and the Nosler is $100. I am shooting out of a 270 WSM. Thanks

Same bullet...difference is in the rest of the components.

I believe the Federal ammo brass is nickel plated.

EDIT: it might benefit you to do some more shopping around I see both of those for way less than what you're seeing for prices. The 270WSM is getting tough to find so it may be worth investing in some reloading equipment.

Last edited:
If I am not mistaken The Trophy Bonded Tip Is based off of the Trophy Bonded Bearclaw. So, not an Accubond. mtmuley
Yeah, they are not the same bullet. The shank on the TBT comes about halfway up the bullet, it's like an all copper bullet with a bonded lead front section. The Accubond is a more traditional cup and core bonded bullet. I've never used the TBT's , but they should be awesome. I have used Accubonds and they are definitely awesome.

If I am not mistaken The Trophy Bonded Tip Is based off of the Trophy Bonded Bearclaw. So, not an Accubond. mtmuley
I bet you're right. At one time Federal may have been an Accubond and that's where I got confused. Tipped trophy bonded might be a superior bullet however I bet they both do well on practically anything

Yeah, the difference is 2 boxes of the Federal can pretty much get you a press.
2 boxes of the Nosler can get you a press, bullets, primers and powder.

Just say'n.

Their are some significant differences. They are both a bonded core bullet, but the TBT is almost like a hybrid of a cup/core and a partioned bullet (not referring to Nosler Partitions, talking about bullet design) where the lead core stops about halfway down the shank and the bottom half is solid copper. This changes the dynamic of the bullet some. The TBT is a little longer, all else being equal, and has grooves machined into the shank like most monolithics. I've loaded both in several calibers, they are not interchangeable in terms of ballistics.

That said, I've worked up loads with both and shot critters with both. They are both VERY good bullets that I've gotten good velocities and sub-MOA results out of. My impression is the Accubond expands a bit faster on impact. So which is better? If cost is a big consideration and maybe you're leaning toward bigger game for caliger, I'd work with the TBT. If you don't mind spending a little more and want a solid construction that expands a little faster, AB. It all depends on what you really want to with it. I use both and intend to continue.

Not to hijack the thread, but ive wondered why more people don't use Hornady Interbonds. I've never shot an animal with them yet, but my 7mm-08 and .270 shoot the heck of them. And I'm getting higher velocities than the TBT and AB with good accuracy. I'm becoming a fan.

Not to hijack the thread, but ive wondered why more people don't use Hornady Interbonds. I've never shot an animal with them yet, but my 7mm-08 and .270 shoot the heck of them. And I'm getting higher velocities than the TBT and AB with good accuracy. I'm becoming a fan.
I hunt with the Interbonds and love them. They are accurate in my rifles and have great terminal performance. Hornady has had a problem keeping them in supply. They have also gone away from bonded bullets and back to their cup and core type long range bullets. I primarily hunt elk, deer and antelope and will not use a bullet design for deer or gongs on an elk. Just my preference . I really like their inter bond when I can get them.

I really want to
I hunt with the Interbonds and love them. They are accurate in my rifles and have great terminal performance. Hornady has had a problem keeping them in supply. They have also gone away from bonded bullets and back to their cup and core type long range bullets. I primarily hunt elk, deer and antelope and will not use a bullet design for deer or gongs on an elk. Just my preference . I really like their inter bond when I can get them.

Considering you online moniker I assume you hunt elk with a .270; I've always considered a 130grn bullet of any construction to be a bit light for elk, but I've been reading Jack O'Connor lately where he talks about shooting moose with that set up. You ever shot an elk with a 130gn IB? From a .270?

I really want to

Considering you online moniker I assume you hunt elk with a .270; I've always considered a 130grn bullet of any construction to be a bit light for elk, but I've been reading Jack O'Connor lately where he talks about shooting moose with that set up. You ever shot an elk with a 130gn IB? From a .270?
For some reason people often think that a .270 or a 7mm shooting a 130 or 140 grain bullet isn’t big enough for elk or moose. I think the weight of the bullet isn’t as important as others make it out to be. Shooting a lighter bullet at a higher speed is the most lethal shot that’s why i shoot the .270 wsm over the .270 win because of the difference in bullet speed.

That’s the impression I was under as well. I could definitely be wrong.

I imagine the "temporary" production halt for several years has a lot to do with it. I don't remember how many years it was exactly - 3? 4? 5? - but it was long enough that they were effectively discontinued from a reloading standpoint. I assume many reloaders developed loads for Accubonds or Sciroccos or whatever else in that time (I did). So why switch back now especially if you got burned by Hornady once already?

I bet you're right. At one time Federal may have been an Accubond and that's where I got confused. Tipped trophy bonded might be a superior bullet however I bet they both do well on practically anything
Federal still loads Accubonds and several other competitors' bullets in some of their Vital-Shok/Premium line. I would have expected them to phase those out but maybe they are good sellers.

I've used the Hornady Interbonds in the past, and I agree with you that they are a fantastic bullet, however in the last few years, Hornady releases them for a short period of time each year and they have gotten rather expensive.( The last time I bought Interbonds, I paid just under $28 dollars a box for the .308/165gr., but in the last few years, they have jumped up to around $70 a box). Since that has happened, I have switched to shooting a monolithic bullet with great results.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back