Nosler/Tikka Compatibility? (help)

flux

I am a new shooter, not sure what to make of my recent experience, appreciate any insight the community has to offer... I just purchased a Tikka T3x Lite in 308 and a variety of ammunition to try (Nosler Trophy Grade 165 gr accubond, Remington 180 gr core-lokt, Winchester 150 gr power-point, Federal 180 gr power shok, Federal Premium 180 gr trophy bonded).

I am able to smoothly operate the bolt action with all of the aforementioned ammunition except for the Nosler. It feels as if the Nosler ammunition doesn’t fit, it is extremely difficult to lock/unlock the bolt after chambering. This is the case for 17/20 cartridges in the box. I tried a different box of identical Nosler ammunition and I was able to smoothly operate the bolt action without issue for 18/20 cartridges.

What do you make of this? I have read that certain rifles will shoot more accurately with certain types of ammunition, is it also the case that certain types of ammunition fit better than others? I am worried that forcing the bolt may damage the rifle.

Don’t force it. If you tried another box of the same nosler ammo and it doesnt have an issue then there’s an issue with that box of ammo I had a similar issue but with some federal ammo last year called them and they had ups pick up the box and sent me a check for how much I spent. I’m sure nosler will work with you the same way.

I am a new shooter, not sure what to make of my recent experience, appreciate any insight the community has to offer... I just purchased a Tikka T3x Lite in 308 and a variety of ammunition to try (Nosler Trophy Grade 165 gr accubond, Remington 180 gr core-lokt, Winchester 150 gr power-point, Federal 180 gr power shok, Federal Premium 180 gr trophy bonded).

I am able to smoothly operate the bolt action with all of the aforementioned ammunition except for the Nosler. It feels as if the Nosler ammunition doesn’t fit, it is extremely difficult to lock/unlock the bolt after chambering. This is the case for 17/20 cartridges in the box. I tried a different box of identical Nosler ammunition and I was able to smoothly operate the bolt action without issue for 18/20 cartridges.

What do you make of this? I have read that certain rifles will shoot more accurately with certain types of ammunition, is it also the case that certain types of ammunition fit better than others? I am worried that forcing the bolt may damage the rifle.
I had a similar problem with a number of boxes of 6.5 Nosler factory in a savage 12fv that ran everything else fine. I did a bunch of measuring of new and fired and they seemed to be just a little longer in the neck than Hornady and Federal. They worked fine in my other 6.5 begara. But was more than just one box but not all. Seems like some QC issues with Nosler factory load lately as when posted this observation on a different forum a number of other guys had a similar experience recently.

I had a similar problem with a number of boxes of 6.5 Nosler factory in a savage 12fv that ran everything else fine. I did a bunch of measuring of new and fired and they seemed to be just a little longer in the neck than Hornady and Federal. They worked fine in my other 6.5 begara. But was more than just one box but not all. Seems like some QC issues with Nosler factory load lately as when posted this observation on a different forum a number of other guys had a similar experience recently.

I assuming running the bolt seats the bullet, so you could run the box through the gun before taking them into the field?

I have the super lite version of your same gun also in .308 and shoot 150gr. Nosler Accubond ammo from it. I have never had an issue at all, with every round chambering and ejecting smoothly.
That said, I once purchased a Browning X-bolt LR in .308 that would not eject spent Nosler rounds. I sent it back to browning for service, after several weeks I got it back and they said they fixed it, but once at the range the same problem started again. Ultimately I had to return the gun.

My uncles T3x in 06 wouldn’t chamber an entire box of Federal Premium 150 Accubond’s. But they fed silky smooth in my T3 superlite.

I assuming running the bolt seats the bullet, so you could run the box through the gun before taking them into the field?
It was not the overall cartridge length, it was the case length- so bullet seating was not the problem. The savage must have been closer to minimum spec when chambered and the bergara more generous a drill. But who knows. It ended up not being a problem for me as I just shot the remainder in the bergara. The hornady's shot best in both guns and I am moving to hand loads when I get the time so not a big deal, just letting OP know he is not alone on this observation.

In my T3 270 Hornady Superformance ammo is a tight fit. Never had any issues with any factory ammo in any of my previous rifles which include 4 Winchesters, a Remington and a Marlin.

I tried cycling 2 boxes worth of factory Nosler e-tip ammunition through our Tikka T3x Superlight 7mm-08 yesterday. Less than 10 out of the 40 rounds fed without having to really jam the bolt closed. TIGHT. I’m sticking with Hornady GMX and Barnes TTSX. No issues with those cartridges.

I also had a similar situation with my new Howa 308 and Nosler 165 gr. Accubonds. The gun shoots them very well but I had one box that was hard to lock down and unlock the bolt. Never had and issue with any other box though Kinda disappointing considering how much they charge for a box of those.

I got a few boxes of Nosler Trophy Grade Accubonds 180 grain 300WSM factory ammo in the mail a few weeks ago. Haven’t fired any of it yet, but just cycled a box through my Tikka T3x Lite and the action was smooth as ever. The action on my Tikka is the smoothest of any gun I own, so I’d notice if it was anything less than soft butter smooth. Sorry to hear that others are having issues. Perhaps it’s specific to a certain caliber?

FYI… I spoke with Nosler customer service, this is a known issue with some Tikka and Sako rifles (they had a detailed explanation but it went over my head because I don’t understand all of the cartridge dimensions and terminology).

They offered to send me another box if I ship this box to them but I had to cover the shipping cost (~$10).

FYI… I spoke with Nosler customer service, this is a known issue with some Tikka and Sako rifles (they had a detailed explanation but it went over my head because I don’t understand all of the cartridge dimensions and terminology).

They offered to send me another box if I ship this box to them but I had to cover the shipping cost (~$10).
And savage 12 . . .

You may also have a small burr in the chamber. I had that one a rifle. Nothing would feed. Once fixed no issues.

Could be tight tolerances in the chamber, COAL, ogive of the particular bullet, etc. Most likely the case itself is too long, and the chamber is a tight cut.

Could be tight tolerances in the chamber, COAL, ogive of the particular bullet, etc. Most likely the case itself is too long, and the chamber is a tight cut.
I have found some batches of Nosler cases from factory loads to be a tad longer than Federal or Hornady counterparts, and a few of my rifles don’t like this (including a Savage 12FV). Seems to be a little QC glitch on the Nosler factory side. If I recall, there were on the outside edge of SAMMI spec so didn’t give much room for tight chamber.

Since I don't reload (yet) when I buy a new gun, I'll pick up several different brands and bullet weights to find out what works best.

I have the same issue with my 308 Christensen and Nosler, I called and they are going to send another box but I doubt I'll use it. I shot a couple boxes prior with no issue but during a hunt had an extraction problem. I've since found that Federal Premium using Nosler bullets works very well so I'm well stocked with them.

I don't hold any grudge with Nosler it's just not the factory ammo my Christensen wants.

On the other hand, I have a Browning 7mm-08 that shoots Nosler AB's very well and I've put about 5 boxes through it of mixed lots with no fitment issues.

I just read another post where a guy couldn’t chamber Nosler ammo in his xbolt

I have a lot of experience with Tikka rifles over the past 10 years. Some of the most consistent factory ammunition that I recommend to T3x owners, if you can find it these days...
-Barnes TTSX BT 168 grain Catalog #21541
-Sierra Tipped GameKing 165 grain
-Hornady ELD-X 178 grain catalog # 80994

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back