Nosler Balistic Tips

While I'm not a gun guy, Nosler is right down the road and many friends are gun guys.
The Ballistic tip started as a varmint bullet and although they list is as a smaller "big game" bullet, it's still a varmint bullet.
As I was told many, many times when researching a bullet for my 7mm-08; the Ballistic tip will destroy an Antelope shoulder but never get to the other side. They're made to come apart on impact, not for penetration.
A Partition on the other hand, will blow a baseball sized hole thru the other side.
The Accubond is a compilation of both and the Best choice for all big game.

That's what I was told over and over from guys that know them and use them.

and what bullet did you find for your 7mm-08 Wapiti? I don't reload so keep that in mind

Thanks for all the quick replies! I am reloading some 300 Rem Ultra Mags for a friend and he wanted to use the Ballistic Tips. We loaded them up and we very lucky on the first go-round because they are holding very tight pattern. I have also heard that the Ballistic Tips fragment but as many have stated above, Nosler is making the new "Hunting Ballistic Tip" for med size game and I was curious if anybody has been using them on Elk. I have always used Hornady Interlock bullets for big game such as Deer and Elk and I have had great results over the years. I am going to have him buy the 180gr Accubonds because they were designed for large and dangerous game and hope that we won't have to change the the powder charge.
Thanks again for all the replies.

I load the AccuBonds as many have already stated they are the best of both worlds. I have shot elk with the 160 gr Winchester factory loads (red tip) and now I load my own (white tip). I have taken a few elk with these loads with no complaints. As for the Ballistic Tip hunting rounds Nosler doesn't recommend them for elk according to their web page. There will always be the argument from people that have used them with no issues but it goes along with the argument of hunting elk with a .223. Sure you can do it but why would you want to?

I shot two cow elk one year with 180gr ballistic tips out of a 300winny. First was a 60 yard shot that hit nothing but ribs on a walking elk. It destroyed the first 8-10" and the far lung was essentially untouched, she bedded and I finished her with a head shot. Next was a 300 yard shot on the shoulder blade, broke the shoulder blade only and other than being crippled, not sure that elk would have died if there hadn't been snow on the ground. Same thing finished with a head shot while bedded. Personally will never use a Nosler Ballistic Tip bullet for anything game animal, just my 2 cents.

I've killed 2 moose and a couple elk with the accubond in my 325wsm and they hold together in an entirely different manner.

Has anyone ever used the green tipped Nosler Balistic Tips for hunting Elk? The Balistic Tip and the AccuBond look like they are built exactly the same as far as the way they designed the copper jacket and the lead core. They have the exact same Polymer Tip except for the color. Any info would be helpful.

I use the Nosler balistic tips for my 7mm-08 and the Hornady SST. I have the same effect on with both of them on deer and elk. I have also used the Nosler for elk out of a 300 win. mag. Not a whole lot of damage on any of my animals yet. But of course I shoot for high shoulder or neck shots. The color of the tip is different for I believe different calibers, or grains. My 300 win. mag has the green tips, and my 7mm has red tips

They work lickety- slickety in my '08 class weapons. I've used 150's in my 7mm Mag for 20 yrs on whitetails & Axis deer. No complaints. But, remember I was using slightly heavier weights for caliber. 150' in the 7mm & 180's in the .308.

Never tried 'em on Elk class, but they dropped some Florida Boars at close range, w/o a glitch. It's really all about matching the game, volicity, and range to the correct bullet.

Nosler BT's are Great at lower volicities, and lighter game. Accurate a Hell too.

But, I'd think to step to a stiffer bullet when the $$$ per shot is raised.

OH,did I fail to mention.....I'm packed with TSX's these days for my $$$ hunts?

and what bullet did you find for your 7mm-08 Wapiti? I don't reload so keep that in mind

I went with the Partition even though I had 3 boxes of Ballistic tips on the shelf. They blew holes not quite baseball size thru 3 Antelope.
I am switching to the Accubond or the Trophy Bonded tips that Randy recommended. I'm having trouble finding the Trophy Bonded though.

Used them from 94 - 04 killed 10 spikes and 4 cows and never had a failure. During that time I seen over 30 elk killed all with ballistic tips in 150's in 284 and 180's in 30. All bullets were found in the off side hide. I will look when I get home I think I still have some leads saved that I can take a pic of. All lost some mass usually 1/3, but mushroomed great. Always heard the bad stories, but have never had one. All that being said we switched to acubonds. No reason to take a chance. All the stories have to have some truth to them.

I remember when nosler intro'd BT's...they were the coolest looking ammo going. Used em sxclusively til I started hunting out west then never went back to them. They worked well on whitetail and pigs....certainly living up to Remington's Accutip's claim of 'violent upset'.

Friend of mine shot a bull at about 100 yards a few years ago with that nosler BT. Shot it 4 times with a 300 Win mag. It was a big, big bull, over 350 and we never recovered the elk. Followed blood for over a mile, back next couple days looking and never was recovered. The rest of thos Ballistic tips went straight to the garbage can.

oh yea, The Accubond is a hell of a bullet. from personal experience i'd go with the ballistic tip. Right now i shoot federal's 130 grain ballistic tip through my 270WSM. I've never had a animal run more than 20 yards. Most of the time they just drop. I chose the 130 ballistic tip cause it would still open up and expand at longer ranges. This past hunting season i was able to take a antelope, mule deer buck, 4 white tail does, and a 6x7 bull elk. I harvested all these animals 550 yards and beyond. I shot my mule deer buck at my personal record of 882 yards. Some of you guys may think is is false but with the help of JP Howitzer muzzlebrake and my 4-16x50 Viper HS scope has made it possible.

so what would Big Fin recommend in Federals lineup of bullets for 7mm08 for elk?

I've had great luck with 180 gr partition. I shoot federal premium in 300win mag. 5 bull elk shoulder shot and not one has made it 10 feet. Have also taken mule deer, whitetail, moose, caribou and a bighorn with the same result. I'm sure there is other great ammo out there but I'm sold on what has worked.

I guess my experience with them has been better than most. I shoot a .257 Ackley improved Ruger#1 with a ballistic tip 100grain nosler and it's killed a crapload of antelope, whitetails and muleys. Haven't had problems coming apart to early or chasing game for miles. Really like them. Bu that's the only gun I use them in

I shoot a .257 Ackley improved Ruger#1

Interesting round for a superb rifle. I used 117 gr. BT's in a #1 25-06...and 150's in a #1 Seven Mag...both very accurate and lethal for deer & hog sized critters.

my father stills says thats the best $ ever spent on a rifle was having old man ackley improve it. That load in that gun is extremely accurate and it stretches the distance of the shooting distance also. Those bullets with 4350 powder has been extremely deadly on animals. I don't shoot it as much as I would like, but it really does the job. I will stick with the .280 for elk and larger tho

Catskinner-I've used the NBT's since they came out, taken several arks worth of game up to an including elk. From my experience with them I'd say load em up, and when you point them properly they'll do what they're paid to do.

No worries

Back