Nosler Balistic Tips

BigFin---I'm glad to hear you and other gents saying not to use those on elk size game. I used Hornady SSTs (same basic bullet) one year out in Wyoming for deer and it blew up on a rib and made a mess of a nice mulie buck. That was the same year that I forgot to carry my Interbonds the first day and I ran into a bunch of elk and had a cow permit. I made a perfect shot at 125 yards on a big cow and the whole bunch took off and I lost sight of her. I found no blood and it got dark trying to find sign. By the time I found her the next morning about 150 yards away with no blood trail and got the meat into a processor, I lost half the meat because of the warm weather. An autopsy showed the 30-06 bullet had completely fragmented on the nearside rib and the only damage was to that near lung. I'm very surprised she didn't go for miles and if I had pushed her that night after the shot she probably would have! That's the only meat I've ever lost on around 100 deer, antelope, and elk I've shot over the years. I hand-load for my 25-06 and 30-06s and immediately threw the SSTs in the garbage and went to the BTSP for deer and antelope and stayed with the Interbond in the 30-06 for elk and haven't looked back since! A good bonded bullet from any of the top manufacturers is the only way to go for elk-size game IMHO!!!

Last edited:
I concur that "ballistic tips" are a under weight bullet that breaks apart when it hits bone on big game like elk. Look at the "partition" for elk... it has served me well on the elk I have shot...nothing over a 50 yrd. pile up.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back