Caribou Gear Tarp

Northern Manitoba

IAhawks84

Hello everyone,
As everyone here is probably doing, I'm twiddling my thumbs waiting for this stuff to blow over. I've got a bear hunt booked around Thompson, Manitoba in the middle of May. I'm not so sure it'll happen with the border currently closed, but we're staying positive.
With all of that said, has anyone been up to those parts bear hunting? I went spring and fall last year in Idaho and struck out so I decided to try something new. From what I've heard so far it's great, but I was just curious if anyone here has first hand experience. There are a hell of a lot of good YouTube videos from that region.
Thanks for your input!

I've never hunted northern Manitoba but it's right in the Canadian Shield, thick bush with big bears. I hunt roughly same latitude with same terrain in Saskatchewan and bears are everywhere with relatively low hunting pressure. It should be a great hunt and I hope you get to go.

I'm hoping to cross the border for a couple fall hunts in Montana and Wyoming, fingers crossed!

I've hunted bear near Flin Flon many times. You will see bear on the bait every day. Best advice I can give you is to watch as many videos as you can on judging bear. I have watched a lot of guys go home with young bears because they get overly excited when one comes in on the first day. The stands are tight to the bait in most spots because there are so few trees to hang a stand in and the bush is thick. Its an exciting hunt.

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I was planning on bringing a therma cell along with nets just in case.
I've been watching a lot of videos for that very reason. I know that I will be excited, but I'd rather shoot a good sized bear and from what I hear there are plenty of them up that way. From watching the videos I have, I was thinking it would be reasonable to try to hold out for something in the 300 lb range? Do you guys think this would be a good goal? I've never shot a bear, and would like to make sure to get one. I also do not really want to have my hunt end on the first day either. If a monster happens to come in, of course you take it, but I'd like to sit back and watch some bears for a few days.
We're kinda talking about fall back options as well right now. I'm guessing we're going to wait until May before we get too excited. We shall see.
Thanks again for the replies!

300 is realistic but there aren’t any guarantees one that large will show up. I’d hold out for a few days and be happy to go home with a 200-250 pound bear as well. In our party we have gotten some 300-400 pound bears but they weren’t behind every log.

I haven't hunted there, but have spent a fair amount of time around Thompson and plenty of time in the 'bush' west of town. The landscape is a mosaic of different aged stands of black spruce (age a function of fire). Plenty of wet bogs dominated by sphagnum moss and scrawny spruce. There are some upland areas that can be nice, a fair amount of aspen scattered around. If the earth is convex, it'll be dry-ish, if it's not it'll be wet.

Mid-may can be really nice. Last time I was there, it was ~3 weeks of May. I left around the 24th-ish, and the mosquitos and black flies hadn't appeared. However, I would take my bug jacket. They make specialized jackets with an integrated hood, IMO much better than a head net. But I spent 15hrs/day in it... take good rain gear too. I've been in some incredible rains there.

Bear density seems good from my perspective. I did see a whopper in an old burn during October. They always messed with our equipment in certain spots. Also saw a few moose and four wolves.

Enjoy your time there, it's a unique place. I hope you can go on your hunt.

Hello everyone,
As everyone here is probably doing, I'm twiddling my thumbs waiting for this stuff to blow over. I've got a bear hunt booked around Thompson, Manitoba in the middle of May. I'm not so sure it'll happen with the border currently closed, but we're staying positive.
With all of that said, has anyone been up to those parts bear hunting? I went spring and fall last year in Idaho and struck out so I decided to try something new. From what I've heard so far it's great, but I was just curious if anyone here has first hand experience. There are a hell of a lot of good YouTube videos from that region.
Thanks for your input!

I haven't hunted there, but have spent a fair amount of time around Thompson and plenty of time in the 'bush' west of town. The landscape is a mosaic of different aged stands of black spruce (age a function of fire). Plenty of wet bogs dominated by sphagnum moss and scrawny spruce. There are some upland areas that can be nice, a fair amount of aspen scattered around. If the earth is convex, it'll be dry-ish, if it's not it'll be wet.

Mid-may can be really nice. Last time I was there, it was ~3 weeks of May. I left around the 24th-ish, and the mosquitos and black flies hadn't appeared. However, I would take my bug jacket. They make specialized jackets with an integrated hood, IMO much better than a head net. But I spent 15hrs/day in it... take good rain gear too. I've been in some incredible rains there.

Bear density seems good from my perspective. I did see a whopper in an old burn during October. They always messed with our equipment in certain spots. Also saw a few moose and four wolves.

Enjoy your time there, it's a unique place. I hope you can go on your hunt.

Thompson is actually where I am going, or should I say hoping to go? I have never been to Canada either, so I was looking forward to seeing the country as well. I'll definitely take your advice on the rain gear. We are supposed to be going right in that slot you were speaking of. I believe the 16-23. This will be my 3rd attempt at a bear, I'm going to do everything possible to bag one.

300 is realistic but there aren’t any guarantees one that large will show up. I’d hold out for a few days and be happy to go home with a 200-250 pound bear as well. In our party we have gotten some 300-400 pound bears but they weren’t behind every log.

That's kind of what my plan was. From the videos I watched, a 250 lb bear is still a good sized bear. Hell of a lot bigger than the ones I see here in Iowa! Lol.
I was thinking if I get close to 300 I'll be pretty excited. We shall see. I'm really starting to doubt the border will be open to travel for hunters by then but time will tell.

If you see one like this shoot! The barrel is your best friend for judging bears. They are still hard to judge and I have hunted them for 15 years. Shoot one as tall as the barrel but take into account lots of times the barrels sit lower then ground level. So shoot one a few inches taller then it. Mature boars have big forearms you’ll notice as they come in

Attachments

• DF68E38C-B0D2-404E-BC54-AD21B03BD6F8.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 13
I have a whole two days of baited bear hunting (Alberta) but I did spend a night at the Holiday Inn Express so here goes.....

Thermacell before the trip was a "gimmick" that will never work. Canadian bear guide told me to stock up, so and did, and now I'm a BELIEVER

We were taught to measure the shoulder height v the bait barrel just like Sask hunter above detailed.

Your guide will want you to shoot a boar and should school you in gender determination.

Shot placement on big Alberta bears was important to our guides. A double lung shot bear goes about two jumps and expires. High shoulder (humerus) shots are trying to go through the well muscled heavy dense bone and even 300 Winmag will not kill a bear fast, but make a tracking job very likely. Tracking in the arboreal forest is almost impossible as the mossy surface leaves no tracks, and often bears with fat will not bleed much.

Our spring (first week in June) bears at 7 foot length weighed an estimated figure a bit north of 250. Those same bears by the time denning time starts will be almost double that weight.

We were told that the lodge we went to after bear/wolf hunting had fishing gear, so no need to bring our own. If you don't mind fishing for pike and walleye with a Barbie pole, go ahead and leave your good gear home. A word to the wise!!

Here is the story of our adventure as told to HuntTalk:

If you see one like this shoot! The barrel is your best friend for judging bears. They are still hard to judge and I have hunted them for 15 years. Shoot one as tall as the barrel but take into account lots of times the barrels sit lower then ground level. So shoot one a few inches taller then it. Mature boars have big forearms you’ll notice as they come in

Nice bear! That's what I'm looking for, one with a big old head on it like that one. Color phase really doesn't matter to me on this trip, as I kind of like the black anyways. My wife likes the blonde, I told her we're not being choosey on color haha.

I have a whole two days of baited bear hunting (Alberta) but I did spend a night at the Holiday Inn Express so here goes.....

Thermacell before the trip was a "gimmick" that will never work. Canadian bear guide told me to stock up, so and did, and now I'm a BELIEVER

We were taught to measure the shoulder height v the bait barrel just like Sask hunter above detailed.

Your guide will want you to shoot a boar and should school you in gender determination.

Shot placement on big Alberta bears was important to our guides. A double lung shot bear goes about two jumps and expires. High shoulder (humerus) shots are trying to go through the well muscled heavy dense bone and even 300 Winmag will not kill a bear fast, but make a tracking job very likely. Tracking in the arboreal forest is almost impossible as the mossy surface leaves no tracks, and often bears with fat will not bleed much.

Our spring (first week in June) bears at 7 foot length weighed an estimated figure a bit north of 250. Those same bears by the time denning time starts will be almost double that weight.

We were told that the lodge we went to after bear/wolf hunting had fishing gear, so no need to bring our own. If you don't mind fishing for pike and walleye with a Barbie pole, go ahead and leave your good gear home. A word to the wise!!

That is an amazing story! Sounds like a ton of fun. A moose is also my big dream hunt. It'll happen someday. I don't know that it'll be a big Yukon bull, but it'll be a moose hunt somewhere.
I was planning on bringing our fishing poles. The main focus will absolutely be bears, but if I can catch a few fish as well that is just a bonus.
Thanks again for sharing the story. I really enjoyed the read. I'm really hoping this happens so I can share my story with you guys.

Good luck, it's a neat place. I never minded the drive up... but it's long! There are a couple of pretty classic gas stops on the highway up ;)

Thompson is actually where I am going, or should I say hoping to go? I have never been to Canada either, so I was looking forward to seeing the country as well. I'll definitely take your advice on the rain gear. We are supposed to be going right in that slot you were speaking of. I believe the 16-23. This will be my 3rd attempt at a bear, I'm going to do everything possible to bag one.

Don't assume gas stations in the middle of nowhere will be open when you get there. My buddy once skipped gas in Ashern on his way to The Pas and got stranded a 90 miles from anything.

Don't assume gas stations in the middle of nowhere will be open when you get there. My buddy once skipped gas in Ashern on his way to The Pas and got stranded a 90 miles from anything.

Thanks for the advice! That's a hard lesson learned when that happens.

Oh God that had to be a nightmare. I remember there's a treaty station somewhere after 6 branches off to 60.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back