North Yellowstone Flooding

Is that all time high for that particular day or the highest ever recorded? People (including me) were thinking that the max value on the USGS site for the Yellowstone (30,000 cfs) was the highest ever, but it is actually the highest on that particular day.

If you look at the history you can see Yellowstone flows even touched 40,000 cfs one year, but that is still much less than the 50,000 cfs yesterday.
Great question- I was looking at highest daily average, which was 10,900 CFS- using the method that @marksjeep provided, the highest instantaneous value for the Stillwater was June 15, 1967 when it hit 12,000 CFS. So 23,900 CFS nearly doubled the recorded all time instantaneous max flow, assuming the meter was accurate and operating correctly.

I could not believe the changes on my drive yesterday to big sky. The changes from 9am to 730pm were incredible.

20220614_192041.jpg

When do they decide to close the interstate? The river is over the tracks and touching the interstate at Reed Point.
20220614_190826.jpg

The Reed Point bridge looks like a log flume ride at Disney world.

I'm not indicating that there are any higher flows than what is published in the peak flow file, so I'm not following your questions on posting up flows which are greater than those currently published?
My understanding of your comments has been that you were suggesting there have been greater instantaneous flows then the 32k that has be readily shared on the interwebs the last few days, and that this weeks floods are not quite as record breaking as many have said, though still record breaking. If we're looking at the Corwin gauge specifically. Then I'm not aware of any and would like to see them. The table I posted was the max daily mean. However, it seems to jive with the annual peak streamflow graph. I'm a bit at the whim of the USGS as the clearing house for the data.

I wouldn't want to be the dude by the loader and crane in this video..

I wouldn't want to be the dude by the loader and crane in this video..

I wouldn't want to be the guy that owns that crane. I would be getting it off the bridge quick if I could.

I wouldn't want to be the guy that owns that crane. I would be getting it off the bridge quick if I could.

Yeah, one would think they would have done that already. That bridge must get to shore on the end that video started from or else it's pretty obvious why they wouldn't move it with a barge.

Actually counted 4 dudes on the bridge the second time through. Think I woulda called the crews off for today..

We engineers would respond with a complaint about the absolute misery of working with the general public. 😂
surveyors... misery of working with surveyors (I believe that's what Gomer does/did).

I literally just sent a request highlighting a weird open hole stormwater "structure" (it's just a pit with pipes coming into it), where the survey had:
-number of pipes wrong
-pipe sizes wrong
-invert elevations wrong
-flow direction, wrong.
And I received that wonderful product 3 months after requesting it.

My understanding of your comments has been that you were suggesting there have been greater instantaneous flows then the 32k that has be readily shared on the interwebs the last few days, and that this weeks floods are not quite as record breaking as many have said, though still record breaking. If we're looking at the Corwin gauge specifically. Then I'm not aware of any and would like to see them. The table I posted was the max daily mean. However, it seems to jive with the annual peak streamflow graph. I'm a bit at the whim of the USGS as the clearing house for the data.
The floods are massive and the impacts will last for years. In no way was I downplaying the severity or magnitude of this event. So please don't misconstrue my statements.

The 1918 values are the same for the daily discharge and the instantaneous peak discharge (32,000cfs), which is not realistic. Either the daily is high, or the peak is low. My guess is that the daily is high and the peak is correct.

surveyors... misery of working with surveyors (I believe that's what Gomer does/did).

I literally just sent a request highlighting a weird open hole stormwater "structure" (it's just a pit with pipes coming into it), where the survey had:
-number of pipes wrong
-pipe sizes wrong
-invert elevations wrong
-flow direction, wrong.

Surveyors are a PITA too for the most part!

I survey part time as a side job and do non survey land work at my day job. Both involve engineers and the latter involves a lot of work with the general public.
Admittedly, I do prefer the engineers to the public.

-number of pipes wrong
-pipe sizes wrong
-invert elevations wrong
-flow direction, wrong.

Every urban project I've ever done...

"Hey buddy, what projection did you use on that survey you sent, it's not State plane NAD27."

"WHY ARE WE USING NAD27!!!!, I chose...."

"Riigggght, you chose... anyway, just let me know 'what you thought was best' so I can re-project it"

......20 min later

"Me again so... hate to nit pick but remember how I sent you that file and said you need to use snap to those vertices?"

"They were off by 5 feet when I used [my favorite projection] so I didn't use them."

"Rad, love that for me..."

Professionally, I have to deal with both. And in many instances I get to tell the engineers to “tell me to build it the way I am telling you, to tell me, how to build it.” And with the surveyors I get to deal with “well XXX at your company likes 5’ OS, so we always just do 5’ for any of your companies projects…”

High level of disdain for both. I need them, but wish I didn’t.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back