Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

North to Alaska

elkdiesel

Well it is finally here. Tomorrow my Dad, Brother and another friend fly out to Alaska. We have been planning an OYO moose hunt for a couple of years now and we finally got our stuff together and are going to give it a try. We will be dropped into camp by a bush pilot and will have about six days to find a moose or four. I'm sure we will have tales to tell and hopefully a moose rack or two to hang on the wall! Any last minute advise?:D

Good luck. Looking forward to some pictures. Is it an area where you might have a chance at another critter (caribou) or are you focusing on moose?

I wish you the best of luck! I expect to be seeing pictures of some awesome moose and spectacular scenery!!!

Good luck. Looking forward to some pictures. Is it an area where you might have a chance at another critter (caribou) or are you focusing on moose?

The only other critter tags we have in our pockets are wolf tags.

Good luck! Hope you guys kill some good ones.

Don't shoot more than one at a time, don't hunt more than a mile from your camp, and don't shoot one in the water. ;)

Non resident tags are transferable to an equal or lower cost tag as long as the season is open for that animal. You could tag a bou with a moose tag if bou is open in the area your hunting. Four moose in 6 days seems a little tough, two moose and a couple bou seems doable though. Good luck and like stew said, don't shoot them in the water.

In Alaska can't you shoot something if its tag is cheaper than the animal you have the tag for?

Yes, black bear is my only other real option in this area, and I haven't convinced myself that I want to trade a bear for a moose;)

Carry a Pocket sized package of Wet Wipes. Hell, I haven't been Moose Hunting............made sense to me! Good Luck! John

John you crack me up! They will come in handy when he downs one of those beasts. I think he'll need to clean his shorts after he sees how big they really are.

Good luck Matt. No more than a mile from camp. That will be bad enough. Good luck

My brother says that the ponds around Fairbanks have a thin layer of ice on them already. Must be getting cold.

My brother says that the ponds around Fairbanks have a thin layer of ice on them already. Must be getting cold.

Good to know... Its about 20deg here right now.

The woman has one tag left that opens the first of Nov... Not sure if we'll make it up or not, days are getting mighty short, and the temps will be in the minus by then. Spending 20hours in a tent doesn't sound like a lot of fun.

The freezer is packed to the gills, all we need is another moose. :eek:

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
avidcork
Back