PEAX Equipment

North facing Slope vs South Facing Slopes

matechakeric

is it a fair generalization that in northern or high elevation states like WT, CO, ID, and MT, elk will likely bed on north-facing slopes earlier in the fall or in warmer temperatures but shift to south-facing slopes as it gets closer to winter or snowfall makes the thermal melting on the south sides better access for grasses?

Generally, but if there's hunting pressure they're unlikely to bed on south slopes in the open, they'll feed in those areas at night/early morning/evening and bed in cover.

Generally, but if there's hunting pressure they're unlikely to bed on south slopes in the open, they'll feed in those areas at night/early morning/evening and bed in cover.
thanks for the insights. it's all situational but at least it's good to have a general concept

IMO pretty rare to see them bedded on exposed south facing slopes during hunting season. After a late season snow when it melts off the south slope they may be more inclined to hit those slopes because feed is exposed.

2 points, based on my experience:

1. Some south facing slopes are huge and my span a whole range of mountains and be far from any north facing slopes. Elk will live there, they'll just use the best cover available.

2. In my experience, it takes more than just a bit of snow to make them switch to the south slopes when both are available. It takes pretty severe cold and snow.

IMO pretty rare to see them bedded on exposed south facing slopes during hunting season. After a late season snow when it melts off the south slope they may be more inclined to hit those slopes because feed is exposed.
good stuff. i guess they could always just come down lower elevation if their higher-up food gets snowed in.

In the mountains of N ID,NW MT, NE WA south facing rarely means open country it might mean a few openings. Its all relative to where you are hunting. Move down to S ID,SW MT and WY and south facing is a whole nother meaning in that country with huge open faces.

The area I hunt south facing doesn't necessarily mean it is open. The North vs South slope argument is an over generalization. It is better to know your hunting area. Know the hunting pressure and where the elk like to be to bed and where they want to feed, their habits of THAT area. Knowing all of this is much better information than knowing which direction a slope is facing.

The area I hunt south facing doesn't necessarily mean it is open. The North vs South slope argument is an over generalization. It is better to know your hunting area. Know the hunting pressure and where the elk like to be to bed and where they want to feed, their habits of THAT area. Knowing all of this is much better information than knowing which direction a slope is facing.
Yup! Id never base any internet scouting on north faces. There is NO substitute for boots on the ground. Example of one of the best places I hunt elk is elk from summer to when they migrate will spend considerable time on a south face in daylight hours feeding no matter temp. These elk feed on this hillside all night and work up hill as thermals change they feed over a saddle and now are working their way down hill with wind in their faces. They have 2 options to bed from here a thick east face or a thick west face

didn't know there was such a debate of north vs south. but I am still new so I will have to take notes

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back