Importance of north facing slopes when at elevation?

elk_newbie

New guy to Elk hunting, mountain hunting in general, and to this forum as well. Having said that, I've read a lot on this forum and other locations as well as watched all Randy Newberg videos as well as many others. I say all that to say that I know north-facing slopes are important for elk, especially in early season.....at least generally. My question is, I drew a tag this year where I'll be hunting at an average elevation of 10,000' w/ dips to 9,700' but those are few. Considering the height, are north-facing slopes still important for early-to-mid Sept archery hunting? Where I am hunting there will be terrain elevation changes but I'm trying to figure out if I need to hyper-focus on north slopes only or can I widen my aperture a bit and look elsewhere too?

If you are sweating, Elk are bedded in the shade. There is more Shade on a North facing slope than any other. It is the last to get sun and the first to get shadows.

Don't overthink it because of the Altitude. Blue sky day can be plenty warm even at 10K.

All that said , Elk are where you find them. Midday look for where you would like to take a nap and that is where the elk want to be.

Good question. Not sure there is a right or wrong answer. I think it might depend on the weather that day. Sunny days can feel warm even if it is only in 60s. Elk may still bed in cover on those days. Add in rut activity and they still may be warm on days that seem cool. The key may be that they get up a little earlier to feed or bed down a little later.

Welcome to HT.

North facing slopes in mountainous terrain are always important as the relative difference in temperature, moisture, and thus, vegetation and cover can be dramatic and either side of the ridgetop are effectively microclimates that offer different things to the elk (bedding/security cover is more typical of north facing slopes and grass/feed are more prevalent on south exposures).

Also - 10,000 feet can be very different as you go South to North. At my camp (northern CO), you're still in timber @ 10,500. Other places that elevation might be rocks and ice and full of mountain goats.

Early season, hunt the north slopes until the first hard freeze. North slope on springs.

The feed is best there until then.

Here is a counter point, though not at that elevation. In the middle of the day, in New Mexico, I like to walk the south facing side of drainages where I find a lot of bulls bedded in the thick juniper / oak stands. I think its plenty shady in the understory, where they are bedded, and the northern slopes tend to be open ponderosa stands withouth much cover. Its a great opportunity to hear bulls running away from you... My point is if they don't care about being on a southern slope when its 80 degrees and sunny in New Mexico, I suspect cover might be more important than direction sometimes.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTLifer
Back